Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2024, 17:36   #5311
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Yellowstone is now available on Netflix, just 3 seasons though.
2500cc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 08:20   #5312
Distinguished - BHPian

Killer Soup - Hindi

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-1.jpg

Synopsis - Swathi dreams of owning a restaurant. But when murder derails her plan, she and her lover take an outrageous step - to replace him with her husband.

An okayish dark comedy crime drama with good acting by Manoj, Konkona and Naseer. Could have trimmed a bit in the middle. They tried to bring in many twists buit wasnt effective and the ending was was just hurried. The title card in each episode was pretty creative.

Rating - 3/5 (Netflix). Timepass watch.

The Village - Tamil

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-2.jpg

Synopsis - A stranded urbanite and his three unlikely companions who brave an eerie village to rescue his missing family in one night.

Started off well but this looses it's way. It's sort of a "biggest hits" album where the series reminds you of many English movies. For me, the cast was the biggest issue. Arya doesnt fit here and also some of the members of the mercenaries. Ashwin was wasted in this. The only good thing is the use of a skilled art/makeup artist. They have come a long way.

Rating - 2/5 (Amazon Prime). Can be skipped.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 09:04   #5313
Senior - BHPian

Season 3 of REACHER will be based on Persuader by Lee Child.

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-smartselect_20240125090351_facebook.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 07:26   #5314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

With that said, Should I skip Season 4 and jump directly to Season 5 or, Season 4 is worth the time? Watching 10 episodes is a lot of work. LOL!

Cheers to Fargo Series. Amazing stuff !!
Skip the 4th. Thank me later.
S05 is 6 stars out of 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
"Killer Soup" on Netflix 2/5.

An okay-ish crime drama series. Some of my favorite stars in it but I wish they toned down the language and lingo in it by a few notches. I'm not understanding this trend of extremely generous, unnecessary use of F and other cuss words everywhere. It's tiring.
The series would have been equally effective without a single f word in it.
The streaming services have opened the floodgates for adult/vulgar/violent shows but some of these really make me scratch my head and this is one of those.
Quoting my own post because it needs a follow up. We were discussing this after the fact and now I am rating this series at 1/5. Reasons ensue.
Any self respecting foodie or a chef (even the pandemic time chefs) know it is impossible to make bad Paya soup. There's mutton in it after all. And yet, Konkona is shown to be making such bad Paya that people keep spitting it out after first sip. Unbelievable. Its a travesty. I am hurt.

Last edited by amol4184 : 26th January 2024 at 07:41.
amol4184 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 10:08   #5315
Senior - BHPian

The Good Doctor:

My wife started watching this and I join in at times. Seemed ok at first but somewhere on the 3rd season it started losing it's way and we realized we were skipping scenes more than we were watching. Finally 3 episodes down on the 4th season we decided to put an end to it.

The best parts were of Shaun diagnosing the issue but those started becoming more and more uncommon and personal dramas started taking priority.

Good first two seasons though.
Old 26th January 2024, 11:37   #5316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
My favorite of all time will always be Panchayat - they did such a good job recreating village life in Eastern UP, almost makes me want to move there
Is Panchayat Season 3 releasing on Amazon Prime *today*?
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 23:49   #5317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Skip the 4th. Thank me later.
S05 is 6 stars out of 5.
Just saw this. I did exactly that. I skipped Season 4 and jumped straight to Season 5.

Boy, o' Boy. As you rightly said, it absolutely feels like going straight back to Season 1 (from a momentum and thrill perspective).

What is so amazing about the Fargo series is the bunch of dysfunctional characters who come together beautifully into the storyline. Each episode has 2-3 such characters and they are the real fun factor to the storyline.

Started Fargo Season 5 and currently in Episode 5.

I was super impressed with :

Jennifer Jason Leigh- What a woman. Totally self serving and the way she treats others is an absolute lesson and definition of "Haughtiness" from Oxford dictionary.

Jon Hamm- He has always been a brilliant actor. This season with him in was no different. Amazing charisma he brings to the equation.

Juno Temple- What an absolute volatile woman. Firecracker of a woman and always has something surprising up her sleeve.

Sam Spruell- Relentless and Cold Blooded. Perfect trademarks of a killer.

Richa Moorjani- Her nasal voice was a bit too much to digest. But, good to see an Indian take the MainStage.

Finally, I have small connection with Minnesota. Used to visit the twin cities for "Best Buy" and the Minessotta nice is absolutely real. They covered that aspect wonderfully.

Also, Minnesotan's have the habit of saying " Okay, Then".

Agree with the rating and will also go with 6/5.

P.S : I would rate Fargo as follows in sequence :

Season 1
Season 5
Season 2
Season 3
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 13:38   #5318
BHPian

Watching Bloodline on Netflix. Its a good watch with twists and suspense and gets better after each episode. Each episode is 1 hour and there are 13 episodes in season 1 itself !. Midway in season 2 now

Watched Sam Bahadur and it didn't seem like a movie. The direction and camera is bad. Even the background score is worse. Not sure why they made such a movie. It has too many skips of events and jumps a lot in time to finish the movie. There is a lot of walking and talking mannerisms shown of the Field Marshall but lacks any cinematic values otherwise.

Dont remember where I watched the first 3 seasons of Fargo, its not on Indian streaming services
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 15:05   #5319
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Sapne vs Everyone

Watched this over the last few days, and TVF didin’t disappoint. They have delivered another gem.

It is a story of 2 polar opposite personalities and how they navigate life.

Jimmy is a street smart, hardened guy out to take revenge for what he has been through in the past. Nothing is off-limits to him to get where he wants to be. On the other hand is Prashant. A struggling real estate sales agent, who has to take care of an ailing mother, but his real love is theatre. He has a very strong moral compass and wants to do the right thing, no matter what. Don’t want to divulge too much more but will say that both character go through an amazing arc through the course of this series.

Ambrish Verma (actor, writer, director) completely steals the show! Not to take away from anyone else though, as all actors have done a spectacular job. I really liked Vaisakh Shankar (Shishir) as the cunning boss too.

All episodes are available on TVF YouTube channel.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 01:07   #5320
Senior - BHPian

Started watching "The Bear" on Hulu.
5 episodes down, my rating till now : 3/5

Its a show about a guy who is world known chef that has come back home to take care of his brother's mismanaged restaurant.

From what I was told, I expected heart warming and light hearted show considering it won multiple Emmy awards in "comedy series" category - which it is not at least to me. It may be a dark comedy at best and there are some funny exchanges but that's about it. Funny to say but I have never been as anxious about humor as while watching this series.

Apparently the 30 minute episodes make it a comedy? My mind is boggled. The show blurs the line between genres and exposes the limitation of definitions of nomination categories. I can think of many other series that had genuinely funny sequences in them.

Besides that series has some truly excellent acting by almost every major character. I still have hard time understanding the kitchen lingo but I am slowly getting around. I guess I need to watch it in entirety and then rate it again in a few days, possibly with revised rating.

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-thbear.jpg
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 11:24   #5321
Distinguished - BHPian

You have to give it to the Netflix team for figuring out areas of opportunity. First it was Formula 1 and now next their sights seem to be on Nascar. Clearly we aren't the main target, this is probably going to be for their US/North American audience. Looking forward to this coming up later during the year!

ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 12:32   #5322
Distinguished - BHPian

Crimes Aaj Kal - Hindi (Season 1 & 2)

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-1_.jpg

Synopsis - The series is a host driven crime anthology- featuring cases- of crimes- where in the youth- teenage to young adults are involved. Cases where the youth- whether it be victim or the perpetrator- have entered into a zone of “Dead End” by giving wings to their anger, rage, emotions of jealousy, greed- with the intention of instant gratification. The series is inspired by true incidents.

The season 1 was pretty interesting with Vikrant as the host and all episodes are less than 45 mins. Not all episodes are good, but it was interesting. Season 2 was a bit of a drag with each episode running to 1hr 30mins. Also, the host (Pratik Gandhi) wasn't really engaging.

Rating - 3.5/5 (Amazon Mini Tv). Watchable.
Old 18th February 2024, 23:45   #5323
Distinguished - BHPian

" The Golden Hour"
OTT : Netflix
4/5

Stumbled upon this new Netflix series and found it absolutely riveting. Story of an Afghani guy who is settled in Amsterdam and is a cop. Some Afghani folks are carrying out a series of terrorist attacks on Amsterdam and how this cop due to his background gets embroiled into the ongoings is the gist of the story.

Nail biting suspense, action that kept me on the toes (Currently in S4) and some of the terrorist attacks carried out is shown in a detailed manner and is possibly one of the most chilling terrorist attacks ever filmed on camera.

Gosh, Western Europe has a real problem on their hands.
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 07:33   #5324
BHPian

Just finished watching a limited series on Yash Raj Films called The Romantics. I am someone who steers away from any Bollywood shows. Missus loves them to bits - like Koffee with Karan. I end up cringing at the way some of the celebs behave

But The Romantics blew my socks off. The way YRF changed the scene in movies and adapted to different genres was brilliant. Also, I am given to understand that it was Aditya Chopra’s first interview after more than 20+ years. Needs to be validated though

Show : The Romantics
Platform: Netflix
Rating : 4/5
subraiyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 08:56   #5325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Currently in S4
But there is only one season

Most Viewed