Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2014, 10:20   #1006
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Forgot to post after the Sherlock S3 last episode - that's probably the best episode of season 3. Loved it.

Moffat has mentioned that a movie with the same team need not be ruled out though they don't have any plans yet.

BTW, when is the next episode of Big Bang Theory Season 7? They didn't air anything last week.

Any recommendations for someone who liked the below series:
Monk
Sherlock
Big Bang
Old 23rd January 2014, 10:25   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Any recommendations for someone who liked the below series:
Monk
Sherlock
Big Bang
Try the mentalist... pretty good. Simon baker is fabulous
Old 23rd January 2014, 10:39   #1008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Orange is the new Black is very nice. But you need to have a different kind of an outlook to enjoy the show, as the theme is very different. Go ahead and treat yourself.
Just finished watching the First Season of Orange is the new black. Amazing set of characters and really good script/screenplay. Waiting for the second season.

Netflix seems to be doing better shows than a lot of the traditional channels. Wonder how the biggies will respond to this.
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:15   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Just finished watching the First Season of Orange is the new black. Amazing set of characters and really good script/screenplay. Waiting for the second season.

Netflix seems to be doing better shows than a lot of the traditional channels. Wonder how the biggies will respond to this.
Well done. Glad you enjoyed it. The scripting and dialogues are enjoyable. Casting is just awesome.

Yes, its the goal of NetFlix to beat HBO in its own game. Watch out for House of Cards Season 2. Netflix is also poised to expand its services in other countries this year. They are hiring Hindi language experts in 2014. Days are not far away when we get NetFlix in India as well.

BTW, how are you all getting your TV and Netflix fixes? What is the hardware you use? How do you maximize your timings to watch the shows? How do you shortlist what to watch? I am just trying to understand viewer habits / best habits - just to correlate to my own.

I just finished The Walking Dead. Does anyone know where Season 4 is hosted?
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:56   #1010

House of Cards [S01]
Utopia [S01]
Black Mirror [S01][S02]
The Newsroom [S01][S02]

I often revisit older British TV shows. What fun!
Old 24th January 2014, 00:24   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Finished Watching Season 3 of Sherlock. Its brilliant although the pace & story telling has somewhat changed, its still as exciting as before & yes 3rd Episode was the best.

Btw I still wonder what made them decide 3 long episodes against 9 half hours ones?

I am not complaining as this way we have less curiosity, just wondering
Old 24th January 2014, 07:19   #1012
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Finished Watching Season 3 of Sherlock. Its brilliant although the pace & story telling has somewhat changed, its still as exciting as before & yes 3rd Episode was the best. Btw I still wonder what made them decide 3 long episodes against 9 half hours ones? I am not complaining as this way we have less curiosity, just wondering

Yes this season three was good especially the last episode. Quite a nice touch there in the concluding bits...
Old 24th January 2014, 07:24   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw I still wonder what made them decide 3 long episodes against 9 half hours ones?

More than curiosity, the trivial information that is shown in the beginning of the episode which an average viewer might not consider relevant would become pivotal by then end, when Sherlock explains. If a story is split over 3 weeks, its unlikely that the viewers would remember things at that detail and the series might become less exciting. I think any suspense thriller would work best when served in one shot.

BTW, is it just me who feels the Holmes in Elementary (based on trailer) resembles the Moriarty in Sherlock?
Old 10th February 2014, 16:06   #1014
Team-BHP Support

The Walking Dead mid-season 4 aired in the US today (tonight rather):

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-1897838_861608827198610_1177302635_n1.jpg

Can't wait to get back home and fire it up!

Banshee's last episode (E5) was really boring! Not sure what the writers had in mind when they penned that script. They should really stick to the tried and tested formula rather than initiating new concepts. Almost fell asleep halfway through! Not sure if other viewers felt the same.

Have also begun The Blacklist last week and completed 3 episodes. James Spader's acting is brilliant. He is perhaps the only reason I may stick to this show.

Quote:
Have you wrapped up OITNB? How about Banshee?
Old 10th February 2014, 16:19   #1015
Senior - BHPian

If you have not so far, try these recent 2013-14 shows:
1. Veep (season 1 and 2 completed, season 3 from April 2014)-the first 2 ep of s1 are not so good but then it really comes together.
2. True Detective (4 episodes so far in season 1)
3. Brooklyn Nine Nine (short 20-21 mins and sweet)
4. Top of the Lake (great serial shot in New Zealand, and all it means)
5. The Americans (came in mid-2013 but definitely very good).

As to Sherlock, personally for me, season 1 and 2 were good but season 3 was a great disappointment. Totally meandering and the essence of Sherlock was an afterthought. Did not even bother to watch the final ep. 3.

For that matter, even Person of Interest was excellent in season 1 and 2 but not so much in season 3. Game of Thrones was very good in 1 but did not even bother to watch season 3.

As to Walking Dead, watched 1 and 2, and while they were great, there is a limit to how many times one can watch people being hacked and heads exploding. So skipped on 3 so far (may download/watch if there is nothing better).

Breaking Bad was perhaps the best English TV show I have watched in a long time. As Walter White transformed and it got dark, the series became different, and for me it really became excellent from around mid season 2. S4 and S5 were simply outstanding.

Last edited by vasudeva : 10th February 2014 at 16:30.
Old 10th February 2014, 16:58   #1016
Senior - BHPian

Banshee latest episode was total meh.
Saw pilot of The After and was really good.
True Detective is the best new show Imo.
Have left watching Blacklist and agents of shield for being so Damn boring.
Old 10th February 2014, 17:16   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

BTW, how are you all getting your TV and Netflix fixes? What is the hardware you use? How do you maximize your timings to watch the shows? How do you shortlist what to watch? I am just trying to understand viewer habits / best habits - just to correlate to my own.
I use a DNS service - was using paid UnblockUs but using free Unlocater now. I was able to view Netflix on my TV through my Sony Bluray player (which has Netflix) using UnblockUs but am unable to watch it using Unlocater.

Watched every season except the last season of Breaking Bad on Netflix. And anyways, it suggests stuff to watch and I watch off-beat movies...
Old 10th February 2014, 21:35   #1018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The Walking Dead mid-season 4 aired in the US today (tonight rather):

Attachment 1206627

Can't wait to get back home and fire it up!
Can you please let me know how you are going to watch it today? Will it be hosted somewhere (Netflix etc)? Are you located in US?
Old 10th February 2014, 23:23   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Have you wrapped up OITNB? How about Banshee?
Not yet, Tv has taken a back seat due to work, hopefully will start with Orange is the new Black soon.

Also read that House of Cards Season 2 would be out in Feb

So that might get priority over orange
Old 11th February 2014, 08:46   #1020
Team-BHP Support

TWD S4 mid-season premiere was decent. Found out that the show has been renewed for a fifth season! I sincerely hope they do not drag it and make it a borefest a la Dexter!

Quote:
So that might get priority over orange
Haha ok cool. I haven't watched House of Cards because political dramas do not interest me somehow although I love Kevin Spacey's acting.

Quote:
Can you please let me know how you are going to watch it today? Will it be hosted somewhere (Netflix etc)? Are you located in US?
I think that is beyond the scope of discussion here. I shall send you a PM regardless. I reside in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks