Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 21:49   #1126
Team-BHP Support

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Any reviews of "The Bridge" ?
Old 19th August 2014, 21:52   #1127
Senior - BHPian

The Good wife is a really good series with the last season best of the lot.

The Americans is what Homeland couldn't for me. Love it's intense plot and subtle twists in the story. A proper spy saga and a treat to watch.

@Eddy- Saw your post after posting mine. The bridge is an OK kinds series. Acting is good but I got bored after 5 episodes in so left it in between. If you like watching slow pace crime stories then give it a shot.

Last edited by harry10 : 19th August 2014 at 21:53.
Old 19th August 2014, 23:05   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Watched, season 1 pilot for Game of Thrones & found it not to my liking so abandoned that series.
I don't think the pilot does proper Justice. Add a couple more episodes to it at least till 4 and then try and abandon it. It does catchup!
Old 20th August 2014, 12:13   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
There is this Sci-fi TV series - Fringe. I watched the first episode in FoxCrime and got hooked. It is highly far fetched and looks like a cross between X-files and many old English movies. But it hooks you nevertheless.

Dr.Bishop says this - Open your mind to the impossible. At times you may find the Truth there.

Another: Even as a Scientist, sometimes I have to rely on Faith.
+1 to that, fringe is right at the top in my favorite show list. Excellent story line, superb cast. You just can't stop admiring John Noble and his acting prowess. His portrayal of Dr Bishop is brilliant. Though it lost it track in between, the final season made it up.

Another series that has got me hooked right now is heroes. Not among the best but it's pretty decent to watch.
Old 20th August 2014, 13:41   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Oh and I am still wary of watching TV Suits and go with prior feedback.

Suits is a very good show bro. You won't regret it. The plot is very interesting. I had no idea what it was and was hooked to it right after the first five episodes. Give it a try.

Last edited by noopster : 20th August 2014 at 15:06. Reason: Thanks- read your note!
Old 20th August 2014, 13:47   #1131
Distinguished - BHPian

Started with another semi post apocalyptic series, big budget, sort of.

The last ship.
About a virus that wipes out 80% of the world's population, while a destroyer with its crew and a scientist on board are tying to find a cure.
3 episodes down, and it's pretty exciting.
Old 20th August 2014, 15:19   #1132
BHPian

I am watching The Good Wife Currently. Liking it. On season 2 now.

Btw do people here think that if these English TV series are dubbed in Hindi, it will work more than the sasu bahu sagas that rule the TV currently ?
We currently have very miniscule audience of these excellent English TV series in India and most people watch via "alternate" methods and not on TV channels.
Dubbing in Hindi can get them more exposure.
Old 21st August 2014, 23:07   #1133
Senior - BHPian

So, after The Americans & The Good Wife here is my third recommendation Twisted. Just saw S1 E1 and it does look promising. Airs on Z Cafe @ 10.00 pm, tonight being the opening night.

Some other shows that I am watching are Backyard Oil, The World Wars & looking forward to Storage Wars.
Old 24th August 2014, 18:37   #1134
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

No good movies seen as such, but I'm hooked onto this series known as "The Wire". From early 2002 till 2008 this series is considered one of the all time cop drama type classics.

Very realistically portrays the life and politics faced by police behind the drugs and violence taking place in downtown Baltimore. A must watch for anyone into this type of genre.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306414/ - IMDB Link
Old 26th August 2014, 20:11   #1135
Team-BHP Support

Wrapped up Orange is the New Black season 2 yesterday. Loved the ending! The cake goes to Crazy Eyes/Suzanne for her performance. What an amazing character! She pulls it off like no other. She deservedly won the Emmy this year for Outstanding Guest Actress.

Btw Breaking Bad walks way with the top honors for the Emmy this year - Outstanding Lead Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Writing and Drama. Mr. Sherlock and Watson wins the respective Emmys for Outstanding Actor and Supporting Actor in a miniseries/movie.
Old 26th August 2014, 20:34   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Suits is a very good show bro. You won't regret it. The plot is very interesting. I had no idea what it was and was hooked to it right after the first five episodes. Give it a try.
+1
Finished second season yesterday. It is fast, witty and still interesting after 2 seasons.
Old 26th August 2014, 20:42   #1137
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
No good movies seen as such, but I'm hooked onto this series known as "The Wire". From early 2002 till 2008 this series is considered one of the all time cop drama type classics.

Very realistically portrays the life and politics faced by police behind the drugs and violence taking place in downtown Baltimore. A must watch for anyone into this type of genre.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306414/ - IMDB Link
Yes, started watching it after "Breaking Bad" and "The Sopranos". Loved the first 2 seasons. 3 was a little boring. 4 was good and 5 is very interesting. I am just finishing the last few episodes. Nicely done but don't think too many people like slow moving crime drama.
Old 26th August 2014, 21:19   #1138
Senior - BHPian

Finished 3rd season of Bones. I always avoided this show thinking it will be gross and lame but I am quite surprised by how interesting it is. Acting, screenplay, direction, everything is top notch. Hope further seasons will be as good..
Old 26th August 2014, 22:25   #1139
Team-BHP Support

Finished watching Fargo over the weekend.

Interesting performances, a li'l slow but quite a good watch.
Old 26th August 2014, 23:49   #1140
BHPian

I love watching Natgeo

The following are very good and should be watched:

NATGEO
1) Banged up abroad: shows amateurs caught in crime and jailed abroad. Its filmed really well. Most of the actors resemble the actual people who were prosecuted.

2) Prison Break: this recreates how the criminal break out of high security prisons.

3) Don't tell my mother: this documentary shows host visiting some very unusual places, like a trip to Pakistan, somalia.

Fox- Life:

1) Ramsay's kitchen nightmares

2) Eat street

Most Viewed