Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2016, 17:55   #1591
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Any Suits fan in here? Just finished season 5... one word BloodyAwesome!
I have a man crush on Harvey Specter
But I found the series becoming monotonous into season 5 and lost interest.
Same thing happened with Castle as well, but only worse.
Old 29th June 2016, 20:54   #1592
Senior - BHPian

I was never a TV show guy until a friend told me about Breaking Bad and got all the seasons copied and binge watched it over couple of weeks.
Watched it all over again after few months. Till date, my favourite.

Next came GoT, the one year wait is killing now.

Following are the rest of them in order of how good they were for me starting with;

Prison Break
House of Cards
Narcos
Greys Anatomy
True Detective (Season 1)
Better call Saul
House (got bored with the similar story line in every episode after watching the first season)
Californication
Fargo

Last edited by tharian : 29th June 2016 at 21:11. Reason: missed few
Old 16th July 2016, 22:26   #1593
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been binge watching Tyrant and I must say that it kind of fills the void that Homeland created. Created by Gideon Raff, the same writer who also was the brains behind homeland. Its not at the same level of detail as homeland but the actors do a good job of keeping you on your seats. Ashraf Barhom as the dictator does a fabulous job of swinging between logic & megalomania.
Old 17th July 2016, 08:30   #1594
Senior - BHPian

Recommended by Eddy, started watching The Americans, its a spy/sleeper agent drama & the plot revolves around a Russian(KGB) sleeper agent couple in the 80s living as an American family with their 2 kids in US

I am hooked, finished first season & waiting to start watching the 2nd, total 4 seasons out so far.
Old 18th July 2016, 09:25   #1595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Any Suits fan in here? Just finished season 5... one word BloodyAwesome!
Yup. Got introduced to the series quite late, sometime last year, and then binge watched all episodes. Primary reason for my fan following: I come from the same background of being a corporate lawyer and working in a (Indian) law firm. From that perspective, I can say that a lot of the incidents, mannerisms, etc. portrayed are highly exaggerated, but hey, I suppose that comes with the entertainment factor. Some of the things shown, however, are quite realistic, and will certainly strike a chord with those who are familiar with the legal industry/ law firm culture. Among the characters, Gina Torres is a favourite, as is the guy who's played Louis Litt!

Off topic: ON a related note, a superb watch on law firm culture and cut throat competition therein, is the 1993 flick The Firm, starring Tom Cruise and Gene Hackman. Its a cult classic.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 18th July 2016 at 09:52.
Old 18th July 2016, 11:43   #1596
BHPian

Based on the recommendations in this thread, I checked out 'Narcos' yesterday. Pleasantly surprised to find Captain Nascimento as Pablo Escobar!
I'm definitely going to follow through with this show.

I also finished watching 'Peaky Blinders' and man, it blew me away. Great acting and taut story line keeps the viewer glued in. The season finale in each of the three seasons was set up pretty well and delivered 100% on the build up.
My recommendation - A must watch
Old 18th July 2016, 12:53   #1597
Senior - BHPian

Need to start Preacher. Going through a lot of Animes which i missed out earlier. Deadman wonderland, TriageX, Elfen Lied, Berserk, Gantz et all.

Fun times
Old 18th July 2016, 14:30   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Need to start Preacher. Going through a lot of Animes which i missed out earlier. Deadman wonderland, TriageX, Elfen Lied, Berserk, Gantz et all.

Fun times
Can you recommend any anime on the lines of Death Note and Attack on Titans? I'd prefer to see something fast-paced.
Old 18th July 2016, 14:50   #1599
Senior - BHPian

It was a pleasure watching Sherlocak back to back on AXN yesterday. Especially, because now we have AXN HD. When the last season of Sherlock was aired, we did not have AXN HD.

I just cannot move from my place when Benedict is pacing through his analysis or deduction. Also, the overall presentation of the series is crisp with all SMSs, emails, chats, etc... floating on the screen for the viewer's understanding.

Benedict recently announced (To Andy Murrey ) that Season-4 shooting is in progress. Hope that is true and not something said to please the Wimbledon Champion.

On a side note, I think AXN has taken the game to a new level with their revamp. The new look AXN is fantastic. RED!
Old 18th July 2016, 15:40   #1600
Senior - BHPian

@lordvader: from what I have seen:
Hellsing
High school of the dead
Afro samurai
Berserk
Vampire Hunter d

Deadman wonderland is a bit twisted
Triage x had a lot of fan service but not enough action. Weak storyline as well.

Gantz and Elfen lied are supposed to be good but yet to watch.

Initial d is good as well.
Old 18th July 2016, 16:33   #1601
Distinguished - BHPian

Lately been hooked onto TYRANT & NARCOS (Waiting for Season 2)
Old 21st July 2016, 23:41   #1602
BHPian

In the order of preference
1. Game of Thrones- Not a series anymore for me. It's a part of life now. I don't think I have felt so strongly for anything on television ever. I can go on and on explaining each and every character and twist and turns. For me the best part is that there is never a dull moment and nobody is indispensable. You could never guess who would survive the season. As for my latest analysis, except for Winterfell no other Major kingdom has Male on throne and all are either governed by queen or appointed hands. When you believe that you have never seen a more deplorable character somebody would rise up to the occasion and prove you wrong. First it was Jeoffrey, then Ramsay and now I am sure somebody else. I could never forget the smirk on the safe of Sansa after the execution of Ramsay. However my all time favourite characters are Tyrion Lennister and Olenna Tyrell.
2. Sherlock- Simply superb and contemporary. One of those serials which is better than movie adaptation. Only glitch is the underwritten character of Watson. Benedict is superb To say the least.
3. Shark Tank- Odd choice I know but somehow I just love the show.
4. Mentalist- the later seasons were not as sharp as they use to be. Still one of the better shows. I still catch up with random re-runs.
5. Homeland- slow to start and it's after the third season that they could find a coherent storyline. Brilliant acting and production value.
6. Downton Abbey- love it for ol' time charm. Characters are half-baked though, yet the Dowager Countess of Grantham is simply brilliant among the star cast

Current watch- 'The Night of', 'Vinyl' and 'Queen of South'

Wish list- Breaking bad, Lost and tyrant. Missed the first seasons of all so will start in sometime.
Old 29th July 2016, 08:57   #1603
BHPian

Came across an auto show on DW (Deutsche World) channel. Comes at 1 pm on Wednesdays and 5 pm on Saturdays. The reviews are point to point with no pizzazz, like in Top Gear. However they review all kinds of vehicles like family sedans, minivans - and not just high end sports and luxury vehicles
Old 29th July 2016, 09:43   #1604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Came across an auto show on DW (Deutsche World) channel. Comes at 1 pm on Wednesdays and 5 pm on Saturdays. The reviews are point to point with no pizzazz, like in Top Gear. However they review all kinds of vehicles like family sedans, minivans - and not just high end sports and luxury vehicles
Are you talking about 'Drive It!'.
I have watched the show few times, though the reviews are unbiased and good, there is no chutzpah as in TG! Feels a little boring. Adding to it, the reviewers are actually speaking German but English dubbing is done on it, it somehow does not feel natural and involving.
Old 29th July 2016, 10:05   #1605
mxh
BHPian

Anyone who likes mysterious shows should definitely watch Twin Peaks. One of David Lynch's finest creations. I am watching it for the second time and thoroughly enjoying it; there's nothing else quite like it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks