Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2017, 23:00   #1711
BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Anyone has watched Silicon Valley? Seems like a nice show about entrepreneurship and it's struggles.

IMDB link : http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2575988/pl...ef_=m_tt_ov_pl
Old 23rd February 2017, 17:28   #1712
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This just came to Netflix:

What a show! If you love drama - especially legal drama - this one is for you. I normally don't binge on TV shows, but this one made me watch 5 episodes in two days.

Highly recommended.
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:55   #1713
Senior - BHPian

Started watching "Penny Dreadful".

Ok at parts and bad at others. Watched 5 episodes now, hopefully it stabilizes a bit going ahead.

Timothy Dalton, Josh Hartnett, Eva Green...

Have to start "Legion" as well.

Sigh, so much to watch and so little time :P
Old 27th February 2017, 12:36   #1714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Anyone has watched Silicon Valley? Seems like a nice show about entrepreneurship and it's struggles.
Its a nice series. Right blend of humour, sometimes black humour, and interesting insights into the startup world. Shows how startup problems, issues etc. are pretty much the same all over the world, even in the famed tech valley of the US. Watched Seasons 1 and 2. Good performances by the four lead protagonists. Also portrays how the VC world works.

Since I am in a profession which deals frequently with startups as well as VC investors, I find myself enjoying the series. Not sure how well received this would be by others, but I imagine it would be a interesting general watch as well. Recommended.
Old 27th February 2017, 12:48   #1715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
While scanning for shows on Netflix, i noticed the show with the title RiverDale.
For few seconds i was wondering why it sounds so familiar. Then it hit me, Archies.
It airs on Colors Infinity HD purportedly within 14 hours of American telecast. Am following it with fascination. The last time I read Archie comics was in the early 90's. To see Riverdale high with a half-Hispanic Veronica Lodge, a black Principal Weatherbee, a young & seductive Miss Grundy etc. is an experience for me. Of course it was bound to happen at some point (injection of a main character-Kevin- that was openly gay was a bit of a shocker even in the relatively recent past but now it's de rigor).

The plot is interesting and the characters pretty decently sketched out, albeit in teenager-friendly style (I keep getting reminded of "I Know What You Did Last Summer" somehow). To be honest if it wasn't for the Archie comics connection, I wouldn't even be watching!
Old 1st March 2017, 12:07   #1716
BHPian

*Tries to remember*

The Grand Tour
Top Gear
The Flash
The Arrow
The Vampire Diaries
GOT
Gotham
Narcos
DC Legends of Tomorrow
Chicago MD
Sherlock (current favorite)
Daredevil
Grey's Anatomy (used to be one of my favorites but now it's finally picking back up slightly)
Supernatural
The Blacklist
The Blacklist : Redemption
Grimm
Lucifer (love it)
Prison Break

Way too many more that I cant remember or those that have finished but I haven't caught up like hannibal etc.
Old 1st March 2017, 12:18   #1717
BHPian

"This is Us" seems to be very worthy watch , Season 1 has started with a bang and is already rated close to 9.0 in IMDb . I finished watching close to 15 episodes on Hotstar and planning to watch again from start.
Old 2nd March 2017, 16:21   #1718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This just came to Netflix:

What a show! If you love drama - especially legal drama - this one is for you. I normally don't binge on TV shows, but this one made me watch 5 episodes in two days.

Highly recommended.
I noticed that, I Will start watching it from today. I have become a documentary buff especially ones with murder and investigations. If you're interested, i would suggest "Deadly Women", "Forensic Files", "FBI Files", "Cold Case Files" etc. etc.
Old 2nd March 2017, 21:15   #1719
BHPian

Sorry if it has been mentioned before, but Billions is a great watch for anyone who likes corporate dramas. A great show with a great way to show competition in the real world!
Old 2nd March 2017, 22:14   #1720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I noticed that, I Will start watching it from today. I have become a documentary buff especially ones with murder and investigations. If you're interested, i would suggest "Deadly Women", "Forensic Files", "FBI Files", "Cold Case Files" etc. etc.
Don't forget to add Mayday/Aircrash Investigations to the list. Some of the investigations are quite interesting while I must admit there are some episodes where you feel some logic just doesn't add up. But overall a great watch and I have been a fan and repeat customer from as long as I remember. My favourite among them is that of the British Airways flight 9: Falling from the sky. Never get tired of watching it.

Medical Detectives too is quite interesting BTW.
Old 2nd March 2017, 22:59   #1721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
Sorry if it has been mentioned before, but Billions is a great watch for anyone who likes corporate dramas. A great show with a great way to show competition in the real world!
Damn sure it is! Was just going to post hereafter last weekends binge.

Definitely worth a watch!
Old 3rd March 2017, 00:38   #1722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Damn sure it is! Was just going to post hereafter last weekends binge.

Definitely worth a watch!

Axelrod keeps me coming back for more. I just can't get enough of how he always handles situations! 😍
Old 3rd March 2017, 21:02   #1723

Any TV show you would rate in the same league of Game of Thrones? Looking forward to start watching a new show to binge upon.
Old 7th March 2017, 19:02   #1724
BHPian

Re: The Worricker Trilogy

On Amazon Video 'The Worricker Trilogy' is worth a watch!

Good script and nice cast also. Mix of American and British TV actors.
Nice locales. It's kind of espionage drama!
Old 13th March 2017, 23:38   #1725
Distinguished - BHPian

After years of seeing pop-culture references to Doctor Who, I'm happy to be finally watching it on TV. And I can see why it has won the accolades it has - the story, casting, direction and acting are all phenomenal and highly entertaining.
The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-800pxdr_who_316350537.jpg

Today, I had the good fortune of seeing what I can only describe as one of the best episodes I've ever seen - not just in this programme, but quite possibly among all TV shows. The episode is from the 3rd series and is titled Blink.
The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-3x10blinkdoctorwho200087671600900.jpg

I have always been of the opinion that it is incredibly difficult to do character development and a story in a single episode of a TV show. And this is one of those rare episodes that does manage this feat.

In a single episode of just 45 minutes, it filled me with terror, made me laugh at its humour and cry at a touching sub-story, thrilled me with tension and made me happy for its joyous resolution of its characters. It took me through a whole range of emotions that had me muttering "wow!" 5-10 minutes after the episode ended, savouring how intricately the story was woven, and how well it was directed and acted.

There have been only a few episodes that have left a comparable impact on me, such as the Firefly episode Out of Gas, and the pilot of Fargo.

"Wow!"

Most Viewed