Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2017, 21:02   #1756
BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I watched Rizzoli & Isles yesterday from Amazon Prime. Wish I could Chromecast to the LED TV.
It is a chickflick type Crime Procedural drama. Worth watching once.

Amazon Prime has tons of TV Shows and often you are bewildered at the choice. I look for actors from well known series. I followed Donny Wahlberg from the much liked Blue Bloods TV Show and landed in Rizzoli and Isles.
Just reviewed Rizzoli & Isles in Amazon Prime. It may not be up my alley - so will skip it.

By the way, just finished Mr Robot too. And it was very good. Will appeal to people who are attracted to the hacker culture.

I generally search by IMDB rating (usually look for 8+). Next I look for are the season details to understand the genre. Then onto the director and what other shows he has directed. And lastly at the actors.

After finishing Mr Robot, I have now downloaded three episodes each of "Person of Interest", "Goliath" and "The Night Manager". That will give me a taste of their quality. If I like them, then I will download the rest.

Starting with Person of Interest now.
Old 17th April 2017, 21:11   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Where are you watching these - Amazon Prime/Netflix? Watching in their Indian collection/US collection (through VPN)?
Netflix for (no VPN)
Trapped (Icelandic)
Marcella (British)
Stranger Things (American)

The Missing Season 2 saw it in a flight - BA

Rest are digital downloads...
Old 18th April 2017, 08:46   #1758
Distinguished - BHPian

People always said I should be a lawyer and to some extent I felt like that could be the path for me, however given the nature of the profession and the struggles it involves on a daily basis I opted out.

I guess some part of me lives that role in television shows about lawyers and the life they lead, albeit the American ones. There are two great shows made by the same creator David Kelly - The Practice and Boston Legal, the first show is more down to earth and is about 6 criminal lawyers in a law firm and their daily dilemma faced when dealing with clients who they know are guilty yet having to defend them and those who they know aren't guilty yet having to see them pronounced guilty and being sent away for life.. a bit of comedy and romance is there to provide relief from the serious nature of the show but in all its a decent representation of how imperfect the legal system is.

Boston Legal however, is over-the-top, campy and slapstick with a once-in-an-episode portion of sheer genius.. to those who are no stranger to this show, its evident that there is no lawyer like Alan Shore (James Spader was born to portray a ruthless shark) - the way he slowly gets up from the bench, buttons up his blazer and goes to work tearing apart the prosecution/defense and mesmerizing the jury into believing his words.. its like theatre and he takes on exactly those companies that are hated worldwide like insurance, drug manufacturers and that makes for an entertaining watch. Denny Crane (William Shatner of Star Trek fame) also compliments Spader perfectly, playing the role of a now washed-up, slightly senile yet highly egoistic lawyer who is the firm partner. Comedy for the most part with a hint of seriousness.

Good shows back in the good ol' days of Hollywood when it was not considered fashionable to pepper every second word with an expletive and where storyline mattered, neither too slow nor too fast.

Here's a clip of the final season of The Practice, where Alan Shore is introduced (thus giving birth to the spin-off Boston Legal), watch as he schools and destroys even the most professional lawyers seated there :

Old 18th April 2017, 10:06   #1759
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to those who recommended Billions on this thread. Axelrod and his nemesis make for an interesting combo to watch, and now into the second season, i must say i find the show shaping up quite well. I like how the show makes you wanna side with both sides at times, as there is no one who is 100% right.
Old 18th April 2017, 11:51   #1760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Thanks to those who recommended Billions on this thread. Axelrod and his nemesis make for an interesting combo to watch, and now into the second season, i must say i find the show shaping up quite well. I like how the show makes you wanna side with both sides at times, as there is no one who is 100% right.
I'm on Team Axe! I mean, the guy was trying, even going against his nature.
People have flaws, IMO having authority to get them to resolve it as far as possible is good enough.

And its not like Chuck is anywhere close to a saint. Won't say more here else it'd spoil the fun. Happy watching

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th April 2017 at 15:01. Reason: Reported by members for spoilers, hence edited. :) But i do agree with your views. :)
Old 18th April 2017, 12:18   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
After finishing Mr Robot, I have now downloaded three episodes each of "Person of Interest", "Goliath" and "The Night Manager". That will give me a taste of their quality. If I like them, then I will download the rest.

Starting with Person of Interest now.
The first season of "Person of Interest" is Procedural to set the base. The action starts from Season 2. Do not judge the series with just the 3 episodes.
Old 18th April 2017, 18:29   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Netflix for (no VPN)
Trapped (Icelandic)
Marcella (British)
Stranger Things (American)

The Missing Season 2 saw it in a flight - BA

Rest are digital downloads...
Hey thanks diyguy! I just downloaded the Netflix app. The first month is free and then 500 bucks from the second month. I am starting with Breaking Bad. Had heard a lot about it - let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
The first season of "Person of Interest" is Procedural to set the base. The action starts from Season 2. Do not judge the series with just the 3 episodes.
Well - about time I say! I had seen the first three episodes and wasn't feeling the love. Will take your advice and sit through the first season. The manna will be there from the second season

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th April 2017 at 18:48. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Old 25th April 2017, 09:56   #1763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nit787 View Post
Finished following series:
1. Breaking Bad (All seasons, n I am still in love of all the characters).
2. Hannibal ( since then I love to cook)
3. Games of Throne (still following n I love this)
4. The walking Dead ( it's getting bored now)
5. Homeland( Season 1 was nice)
6. Marvels agent of Shield
Just Binge Watched season 1 of Hannibal while on my flight to and from India. Left a very dark impression on my brain and now I too see swinging lights in front of eyes when I close them. God this is gotten into my nerves now.

I've now deleted season 2 & 3 from my downloads. Don't think I'll continue.
However, this is my take.

How do you guys see it?
Old 11th May 2017, 10:28   #1764
Distinguished - BHPian

It Always Sunny in Philadelphia - I watched it knowing nothing about it a year back, from the title it seemed like another 4-5 friends ensemble comedy with emotions, jokes and punch-lines, from the first episode it was evident that emotions wasn't part of the deal at all (thank goodness, I think comedies and emotions do not go well).

What I discovered later is that this show defined dark comedy like no other before it, almost to comical levels. Those who get offended easily should best avoid it as no topic is out of reach for this show - racism, sexism, bigotry, unethicality to inhuman (but comical) levels and certain scenes that seem like they're right out of a cartoon.

This show has managed a rare feat, their latest season which came out 2 months ago has instantly become the finest yet, being very hard to please comedy wise this show had me in splits with its comedy and this season is such that they save the best part for last. The comedy is still controversial but they have toned it down several notches compared to their earlier seasons - as far as delivering roaring laughter (to certain people) goes, this delivers and how, the season 12 is a must watch.
Old 11th May 2017, 20:46   #1765
BHPian

Better Call Saul:

All Breaking bad series followers should def watch Better Call Saul; Its just fantastic!! The series is slow, but it is like that beverage which you sip slowly so that it never ends and the taste lingers!

I am just 1 esp behind the current season. Its so much fun to watch Jonathan Banks character! he has done the best acting at 70's ( pardon my ignorance if i haven't seen any of his earlier work)

Must watch for all Breaking Bad fans out there.
Old 12th May 2017, 01:31   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I'm on Team Axe! I mean, the guy was trying, even going against his nature.
People have flaws, IMO having authority to get them to resolve it as far as possible is good enough.

And its not like Chuck is anywhere close to a saint. Won't say more here else it'd spoil the fun. Happy watching

Team Axe all the way !
Whatever he has done and made, it is because of his guts and brains and no one has the right to question how he did it or how he spends its rewards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

Thank you.😊
If you have not till now, also try White Collar. A bit old but still very relevant and entertaining.
Old 12th May 2017, 12:35   #1767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
People always said I should be a lawyer and to some extent I felt like that could be the path for me, however given the nature of the profession and the struggles it involves on a daily basis I opted out.

I guess some part of me lives that role in television shows about lawyers and the life they lead, albeit the American ones. There are two great shows made by the same creator David Kelly - The Practice and Boston Legal, the first show is more down to earth and is about 6 criminal lawyers in a law firm and their daily dilemma faced when dealing with clients who they know are guilty yet having to defend them and those who they know aren't guilty yet having to see them pronounced guilty and being sent away for life.. a bit of comedy and romance is there to provide relief from the serious nature of the show but in all its a decent representation of how imperfect the legal system is.

Boston Legal however, is over-the-top, campy and slapstick with a once-in-an-episode portion of sheer genius.. to those who are no stranger to this show, its evident that there is no lawyer like Alan Shore (James Spader was born to portray a ruthless shark) - the way he slowly gets up from the bench, buttons up his blazer and goes to work tearing apart the prosecution/defense and mesmerizing the jury into believing his words.. its like theatre and he takes on exactly those companies that are hated worldwide like insurance, drug manufacturers and that makes for an entertaining watch. Denny Crane (William Shatner of Star Trek fame) also compliments Spader perfectly, playing the role of a now washed-up, slightly senile yet highly egoistic lawyer who is the firm partner. Comedy for the most part with a hint of seriousness.

Good shows back in the good ol' days of Hollywood when it was not considered fashionable to pepper every second word with an expletive and where storyline mattered, neither too slow nor too fast.

Here's a clip of the final season of The Practice, where Alan Shore is introduced (thus giving birth to the spin-off Boston Legal), watch as he schools and destroys even the most professional lawyers seated there :
Have you watched Suits and/or The good wife? You mentioned your interest in legal series so you must have, if not you can try watching them as well...
Old 12th May 2017, 13:06   #1768
Team-BHP Support

Fargo season 3 has started. If it is as good as the first, or even the second sesaon; it should be a treat. Waiting for all ten episodes to air and then will binge watch.
Old 12th May 2017, 13:38   #1769
BHPian

Watched two television series after a gap, Taboo and Big Little Lies.
Both were a good watch. Though I expected Taboo to be as good as Peaky Blinders. The storylines are different but still I guess my expectations were a bit higher with Tom Hardy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Fargo season 3 has started. If it is as good as the first, or even the second sesaon; it should be a treat. Waiting for all ten episodes to air and then will binge watch.
Even I can't wait till 21st of June for exactly the same reason!
Old 12th May 2017, 14:30   #1770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
The Killing (Danish - Forbrydelsen)
Trapped (Icelandic)
Broen (Bridge - Swedish/Danish)
Guys please watch these as they are very realistic and immersive. Was unable to go slow on them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks