Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2017, 18:06   #1771
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Have been catching up the first 2 seasons of 'Twin Peaks'. Got to say impressive work for the 90s. Hope I can finish by the time Season 3 starts in 10 days time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Better Call Saul
Its a disappointment if you see it alongside BrBa. I did just that, and the motivation was poor for watching Better Call Saul. I feel they've taken tad too much time to 'set the stage'.

S3E5 was a brilliant episode after a long gap and understandably the top rated IMDB episode for the entire series thus far. I hope its an uptrend from hereon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Fargo season 3
Haven't seen yesterday's episode, but the first 3 were pretty decent. I doubt it'd top Season 1 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Guys please watch these as they are very realistic and immersive. Was unable to go slow on them.
I did start Bron sometime back, but didn't have the motivation to go further. How would you rate it?
Old 12th May 2017, 18:11   #1772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I did start Bron sometime back, but didn't have the motivation to go further. How would you rate it?
I liked Bron a lot. Saw all 3 seasons over a 2-3 week period last month.
Old 13th May 2017, 08:15   #1773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Have you watched Suits and/or The good wife? You mentioned your interest in legal series so you must have, if not you can try watching them as well...
Thanks for the suggestions and truthfully, haven't watched them and I don't think I will either, I'm heavily prejudiced against any American show made post 2005. Personal opinion of course but I think Hollywood went down the gutters since the past decade. I wasn't mature enough to watch the late 90's shows when they aired at that point (not sure of most of them even aired in India) but I'm surely catching up now. I did some reading on both shows you've mentioned and I understand that :

Suits : Is focused on one major case per season (from what I could gather), also plenty of major character's daily stories and personal issues - I rather prefer the 1 episode per case style of The Practice with very little personal details involved.

The Good Wife : Politico-legal drama spun entirely off one family? That's not going to be my kinda show at all. This isn't a complete legal show per se.

Also I guess I'm in a minority here with my preferences, many seem to prefer slowly untangling storylines, gradual character development and a show that unveils its plot well after 10-20 episodes, I prefer the direct opposite, it should be get-go from episode 1, minute 1 with lightning fast plot changes/twists and even faster story progression. That's the reason I couldn't watch Breaking Bad more than 5 minutes on t.v.
Old 13th May 2017, 18:21   #1774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and truthfully, haven't watched them and I don't think I will either, I'm heavily prejudiced against any American show made post 2005. Personal opinion of course but I think Hollywood went down the gutters since the past decade. I wasn't mature enough to watch the late 90's shows when they aired at that point (not sure of most of them even aired in India) but I'm surely catching up now. I did some reading on both shows you've mentioned and I understand that :

Suits : Is focused on one major case per season (from what I could gather), also plenty of major character's daily stories and personal issues - I rather prefer the 1 episode per case style of The Practice with very little personal details involved.

The Good Wife : Politico-legal drama spun entirely off one family? That's not going to be my kinda show at all. This isn't a complete legal show per se.

Also I guess I'm in a minority here with my preferences, many seem to prefer slowly untangling storylines, gradual character development and a show that unveils its plot well after 10-20 episodes, I prefer the direct opposite, it should be get-go from episode 1, minute 1 with lightning fast plot changes/twists and even faster story progression. That's the reason I couldn't watch Breaking Bad more than 5 minutes on t.v.
You are right but both suits and the good wife have each episode concentrating on case and in addition to it office politics, personal life etc. I can understand that it might not be everyone's cup of tea though
Old 19th May 2017, 13:57   #1775
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Not much of a TV show guy, yet here's a strong recommendation for "American Playboy: The Hugh Hefner Story" on Amazon Prime. Real story, excellent performances & a heck of a life.
Old 19th May 2017, 14:43   #1776
Senior - BHPian

Currently watching :

American Gods - Season 1

In the pipeline:

Fargo - Season 3
Better Call Saul - Season 3
Old 19th May 2017, 15:07   #1777
Team-BHP Support

I'm on episode 5 of Fargo Season 3 and I'm having a tough time being awake, during EVERY episode!

The storyline is too slow, there's a very common theme in almost every episode and it is absolutely not gripping.

Very disappointed after the brilliance of the earlier two seasons. I'm going to stop watching this now. It's a struggle to go through the hour.
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:58   #1778
BANNED

I have found "Dynamo-magician impossible" absorbing and find myself spending plenty of time trying to figure out the magic. We know cameras don't lie, but is it really possible to engrave a palm-print on to a concrete side-walk, with the palm held several inches above the concrete - and continuously under the steady eye of the video camera!
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:34   #1779

Presently watching Narcos on Netflix. Show is about Pablo Escobar. Has a bit of violence and nudity. Otherwise the series is pretty good.
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:35   #1780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I have found "Dynamo-magician impossible" absorbing
I too am a big fan. Its the ease with which he performs that appeals to me. Have stopped trying to find rational answers/logical explanations for his tricks. I just enjoy them with the belief that he is blessed with some super power .
Quote:
We know cameras don't lie
Beg to disagree on this.

Cameras lie big time. In connection to magic, do watch Breaking the Magician's Code aired on AXN.
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:42   #1781
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
...Cameras lie big time. In connection to magic, do watch Breaking the Magician's Code aired on AXN.
OK, daily driver, I'll take your word for it! - and I'll watch that AXN show!

And yes, I too am led to conclude that Dynamo is genuinely blessed, like Geller was - despite all the controversy & hate-mail that seems to have dogged him.

Last edited by shashanka : 22nd May 2017 at 09:46.
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:22   #1782
BHPian

Narcos

Life lived king size! Must watch for the narrative and real life story line. I can relate to the drug menace in Punjab, after seeing this.
Old 22nd May 2017, 22:22   #1783
BHPian

Just done with all episodes of 13 Reasons why. Powerful subject and brilliant imagery. I may have crossed the angst ridden teenage years more than a decade ago. But somehow find all this not very far from real.
Old 22nd May 2017, 23:26   #1784
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here watched Banshee? I have been trying to watch season 4 but nowhere can I find it. Great storyline albeit a bit violent.
Old 31st May 2017, 18:46   #1785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Have been catching up the first 2 seasons of 'Twin Peaks'. Got to say impressive work for the 90s. Hope I can finish by the time Season 3 starts in 10 days time.
I am watching 2nd season right now and whoa the show is w-e-i-r-d. After first episode, I realized that it is from the same guy who gave us mind bending movies like Mulholland Drive and Eraserhead. After this realization, i settled in for a long ride into the surreal. There is hardly a character in this show that can be called "normal"

And I am thoroughly enjoying it. I have already decided to watch it again.

Most Viewed