Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2017, 22:33   #1936
BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Are they good, bad or ugly ? Where is the review ?
'Dog with a blog' is quite funny, kid friendly, and takes adults back to clean humor (which is a rarity on TV nowadays).. basically about an intelligent dog who can do amazing things and the absurdly funny situations occurring in the family of 6 (including the dog).

'Little big shots' is a talent show squarely for kids- and the host does a very good job of coming up with one liners and expressions. You'll be amazed at what you see.

'Suits' is suits! a law firm with hot shot lawyers who think of ways to survive in the rat race of corporate law.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 13th December 2017 at 04:39.
Old 27th November 2017, 00:02   #1937
Senior - BHPian

Finally caught up with some television shows over the last few weeks after a long gap post GOT.

1> true detective season 1 - liked it but the narrative is a bit slow. The performance of the leads is what makes it special. Looking forward to Season 2 but heard it's not quite at par with season 1. Let me know your thoughts if anyone has seen it. Overall - 8/10.

2> Stranger things season 1 - Liked it a lot. I am not a fan of this genre but still found it be interesting. All the child actors have done a very good job. Overall - 8/10

3>Punisher season 1 - I am a big fan of Daredevil but I didn't have high hopes from this show. But boy I was wrong. This show took me by surprise. It takes time to establish the story, it's characters and their relationships but it just takes off around the halfway mark and hits a crescendo in the penultimate episode. It's intense and brutal with a very strong emotional undercurrent. John Bernthal as the Punsiher is mind-blowing - brutal, vulnerable and endearing at the same time. Waiting for Season 2 eagerly. .Overall - 9.5/10
Old 27th November 2017, 00:37   #1938
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
3>Punisher season 1 - I am a big fan of Daredevil but I didn't have high hopes from this show. But boy I was wrong. This show took me by surprise. It takes time to establish the story, it's characters and their relationships but it just takes off around the halfway mark and hits a crescendo in the penultimate episode. It's intense and brutal with a very strong emotional undercurrent. John Bernthal as the Punsiher is mind-blowing - brutal, vulnerable and endearing at the same time. Waiting for Season 2 eagerly. .Overall - 9.5/10
Is this a continuation of Daredevil ? Or can it be watched independently ?
Old 27th November 2017, 01:06   #1939
BHPian

Quote:
Is this a continuation of Daredevil ? Or can it be watched independently ?
The Punisher, as described by Bhpian Adimicra, is an excellent series. Starts off well and keeps you coming back for more and more.
With regard to your query, It is not a continuation of Daredevil except for Karen Page who has an important role here.

This was one series I was waiting for and it kept me entertained over its 13 episode length.
The standout performances for me were - Jon Bernthal as Frank Castle, Ben Barnes as Billy Russo & Amber Rose Revah as Dinah Madani.

Jon Bernthal really digs into the character and makes it his own. After a while, I could not see anyone else in this role - save for Denzel if he could reprise his role from The Equalizer for the small screen.
Eagerly waiting for season 2.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 13th December 2017 at 04:40.
Old 28th November 2017, 06:14   #1940
Senior - BHPian

Watched Narcos on Netflix till Season 3. Excellent series portraying the rise and fall of Pablo Escobar. Season 4 is about the Cali cartel but it is slow.

Stranger Things Season 1 & 2 were very good.

Watching Little Sheldon on Amazon prime, but the episodes are very short.

I am hearing good reviews about the punisher. I will start soon.
Old 29th November 2017, 01:47   #1941
Senior - BHPian

Binge Watched The Punisher over the weekend. I first came to know about this character in a 2004 film of the same name. I really liked this movie and was hoping for a sequel which never happened. Fast forward few years and I was pleasantly surprised to see that character in DareDevil TV series. I was excited but was again disappointed to see the short run as Jon Bernthal played it so well.

So when Netflix announced a dedicated series for Punisher my expectations went high and I am glad to report that it has met all of my expectations and then some. I would even go to the extent of saying that this is the best Marvel Character series on Netflix (yeah across all 4 defenders). Its grippy has suspense & lot of action. Just keep in mind some of the action scenes are not for the faint hearted and are a bit gory.

Overall thoroughly enjoyed and as much as I want to see a Season 2, it may not happen.
Old 12th December 2017, 17:59   #1942
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Watched the first episode of the The Walking Dead Season 8.

Seriously, I am only watching to see how it ends and who survive. Nothing new or great in the first episode.
No change in the status above. S8 is now in its mid-season break. What a fall from grace for TWD !
Old 12th December 2017, 18:50   #1943
Distinguished - BHPian

Binge watched The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Prime and it is packed with some very fine story telling and acting. I am a sucker for period dramas/stories and this is different from all the others because of the screenplay and the primary theme of the series - women & stand-up comedy.

Rating - 4.5/5 stars. 8 episodes just fly by. Eagerly awaiting the second season.
Old 12th December 2017, 21:40   #1944
Senior - BHPian

Started watching Longmire on Netflix which came as a suggestion on Netflix. Watched 3 episodes and I am liking it so far. The story is about a Sheriff of small town in Wyoming solving various cases. The sheriff seems to have some history which will unravel over the series. I am liking the small down crime solving drama after watching lot of Big cities crime series, a fresh change.

There are 6 seasons on Netflix, will see if by end of season 1 I am tempted to watch more or not but so far I am really liking it
Old 12th December 2017, 22:08   #1945
Team-BHP Support

Started watching season 2 of The Crown on Netflix.
Three episodes done and find this season tad better than the first one. If you like history, this is a good watch, from the perspective of the British Monarchy.
Quite a few interesting conversations in the episodes about what we've heard as folk lore.
For eg. On the topic of infidelity, Lord Mountbatten telling Queen Elizabeth how his wife had a thing with Nehru right under his nose.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 13th December 2017 at 04:40.
Old 13th December 2017, 03:15   #1946
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Started watching season 2 of The Crown on Netflix.

Three episodes done and find this season tad better than the first one. If you like history, this is a good watch, from the perspective of the British Monarchy.

Quite a few interesting conversations in the episodes about what we've heard as folk lore.

For eg. On the topic of infidelity, Lord Mountbatten telling Queen Elizabeth how his wife had a thing with Nehru right under his nose.
We are also into watching 'The Crown' Season 2. While it's not the most gripping of series for watching, i quite like how its been playing out.
Old 15th December 2017, 15:14   #1947
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
We are also into watching 'The Crown' Season 2. While it's not the most gripping of series for watching, i quite like how its been playing out.
Yes! This season is better than 1.

Claire Foy has done a spectacular job as the Queen; I liked how the character of Prince Philip and Allan Lascelles has been performed as well. I haven't read up much on British Monarchy but the entire cast pulls it off so well, you'd imagine they actually are the Royals!
Old 16th December 2017, 06:35   #1948
BHPian

The Grand Tour is back on.

The much anticipated 9th Season of Curb Your Enthusiasm just ended, and it was a riot.

Jean Claude Van Johnson has a certain odd charm to it.
Old 17th December 2017, 21:48   #1949
Senior - BHPian

Watched the Grand tour Season 2 Episode 1 on Prime Video. Found it extremely boring - too much talking and too less action. Also, the comedy is becoming very forced,cheap and somewhat repetitive. I hope the next episodes will live up to the promise as the trailer looked fantastic.

Also, finished the MINDHUNTER season 1 on Netflix and what an awesome series it was! I admit I am a big fan of the Crime genre and when I saw David Fincher as one of the directors, I was thrilled and my expectations went sky high. But, this show met all my high expectations and some more. The season 1 finale ends on a high and leaves the viewers in keen anticipation of Season 2. This series is just script, screenplay and performances - there's no fancy editing or cinematography; it just focuses on the basics and shows what can be achieved when you get the basics right.
To draw a comparison, I find this series a notch above something like 'True Detective'.. may not be an apples-to-apples comparison but still. can't wait for season 2.
Old 18th December 2017, 10:51   #1950
Senior - BHPian

Young Sheldon -

All those who have watched and loved Big Bang Theory can easily relate to Young Sheldon. The writers have done well IMO and the show has a good pace. Iain Armitage has acted really well, with all the quirkyness of the older Sheldon portrayed perfectly. For instance, his OCD for cleanliness, excessive questioning attitude, naivety at some of the basic facts of human life. The characters of Missi, Sheldon's twin sister and MiMo, Sheldon's grand mother, are the best and their scripts are outright funny.

Grand Tour -

Everyone's favorite gang of automobile freaks is back and boy, are they back. I loved the premier episode, with perfect balance of quirky comedy, information and good contents. Also, it is really well shot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks