Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2018, 19:12   #2131
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Yeh meri family on Netflix.
It's brilliant, brings about nostalgia that borders on depressive. Recommended for people who went to school in the 80s and 90s.
Old 8th September 2018, 06:52   #2132
BHPian

A year back started with Good Wife - stopped at Season 2 since it was getting a bit boring. Why is there a main plot in a legal drama ? Cant it be just about cases. To me Practice was brilliant even with a main plot and then Boston Legal was a relief with some murderous comedy weaved in.
Onto How to Get Away with Murder. Could not stand more than Season 1. Boy what a weird plot
And then Blacklist was going good - but then it seems they just want to drag the bloody thing along and squeeze every drop from it
Saw Jack Ryan - 3 episodes. Being a Tom Clancy fan, was wondering how it would be. Some misses here and there. Cutting across time and not staying close to Jack's story. Cathy, Cathy - where art thou ? The sub plots and the deep rot in the system is missing which was what Jack experienced in his hey days as an analyst.
Now - I am giving up on the new age serials. Back to Agatha Christie's Poirot. Managed to land 13 seasons of murder mystery with David Suchet. What a relief to hear the Brit humour
For the humor side, watching Jeeves & Wooster
Any suggestions on BBC serials with clear build up of characters and plots would be welcome. And no, i prefer not to see violent ones !
Old 8th September 2018, 07:04   #2133
Senior - BHPian

Tried Better Call Saul as the new season started, but it's too slow for me even for a lazy day.

Other than that, similar situation as above, couldn't find anything to my taste. Unsubscribed Netflix.

I've cut down on watching TV series except watching Seinfeld on Amazon. Simple pleasures.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 8th September 2018 at 07:06.
Old 8th September 2018, 08:15   #2134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Tried Better Call Saul as the new season started, but it's too slow for me even for a lazy day.
I have been religiously following Better Call Saul since beginning, and thoroughly enjoy the storyline. The pace of storytelling is almost same as Breaking Bad, so I do not have a problem in that aspect.
Old 8th September 2018, 10:02   #2135
Senior - BHPian

I second the opinion on 'Yeh Meri Family' on netflix. Its like a breath of fresh air and really does bring out all the nostalgia for the kids of the 80's and 90's. The period setting is mostly spot on and I am definitely looking forward to the next season. Children of the 80's should watch this show.
Ghoul on the other hand was a disappointment. Made no sense to me or maybe it is my inherent disdain for Radhika Apte.
Going to give Jack Ryan a spin this weekend.
I do keep watching old episodes of the Grand Tour on and off for simple silly laugh.
Old 8th September 2018, 10:08   #2136
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Yeh meri family on Netflix.
Absolutely. It is pleasantly refreshing and will leave you with a smile. Perfect watch over a meal or when you want to take a quick break between things.

Reminds me of Everybody Loves Raymond.
Old 8th September 2018, 21:36   #2137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
It's brilliant, brings about nostalgia that borders on depressive. Recommended for people who went to school in the 80s and 90s.
Applies to me fully, I'll give it a go.. a first episode trial. Surprised that a clean family-esque show is available from Netflix, also called the garbage dump of performance arts. Every (even Indian) show on Netflix is chock full of nudity, needless abusing, and some form of sadism which can at best be called exaggeration.

I couldn't make it past the first minute of the highly "popular" Sacred Games.. it doesn't help that Nawazuddin Siddiqui's very presence makes me want to scale the wall with my fingernails. Its technically garbage (my opinion only). Now do not mistake me for a prude (not that there is anything wrong with that either), but I do not think the American style of mafia storytelling applies to the Indian style. The Italians/Russians have a flair for personifying the made men that can't be matched by this country by a hundred miles.
Old 9th September 2018, 14:53   #2138
Senior - BHPian

Jack Ryan (9/10) - Loved it. This turned out to be way better than expectations. The canvas is pretty big and has been shot in authentic locations across Middle-East Europe and US. Also, I loved that the lead character is not depicted as a typical 'Hero'. There are sme glitches here and there but overall it's surely a must-watch for people who love this kind of subject (terrorist-spy-CIA). Eagerly waiting for Season2

Boradchurch (8/10) - Liked it and finished both the seasons. Though Season2 starts to get boring from the middle episodes. The series focuses on the police investigation following the sudden murder of a young boy in a small town 'Broadchurch'. The story revolves round the life of both the police investigators and the family of the victim and the emotional turmoil they go through. It is backed by great visuals and background score. You will enjoy it if you connect emotionally with the characters. I think Season 1 was 9/10 and Season 2 was 7.5/10

Fargo - Season1 and 2 (10/10)
- I only watched Season1 and Season2 completely but I found Season3 terrible (quit after 3 episodes). This is one of the best every television series I have ever seen. Both the seasons 1&2 are equally good. It is quirky and the storyline has lots of unexpected twists and turns. And yes, the visuals and the background score is as good as I have ever seen on television. I would go a step ahead and say that the television series is even better than the Oscar-winning movie. Not to be missed!

Currently watching 'Dark' and 'Better call Saul'.
Old 9th September 2018, 15:20   #2139
BHPian

Currently watching The Blacklist casting James Spader on Netflix.
Would rate it 7/10
It's got 5 seasons on Netflix India. I have reached the 4th season end.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2741602/

Also Ozark season 2 is out on Netflix. I loved season 1, can't wait to start binging on season 2.
Old 9th September 2018, 18:24   #2140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Currently watching The Blacklist casting James Spader on Netflix.
Would rate it 7/10
It's got 5 seasons on Netflix India. I have reached the 4th season end.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2741602/

Also Ozark season 2 is out on Netflix. I loved season 1, can't wait to start binging on season 2.
Let me assure you, season 5 is a drag. I was a fan of it till season 4, but boy, season 5 is such a pain, I quit it mid way after watching around 4 episodes.

Ozark season 1 was awesome. Will pick up season 2 soon. Thanks.
Old 10th September 2018, 07:53   #2141
Senior - BHPian

Completed watching First season of Jack Ryan

Really liked it, honestly I wasn't sure of the lead star's casting as he is known more for doing comedy roles. He still needs to work on his serious face as it looks a little weird but overall he was impressive as a CIA analyst.

This is nice series and is a similar genre as Homeland which I absolutely love. Eagerly waiting for next season.
Old 10th September 2018, 09:32   #2142
BHPian

Television shows: What do you watch? (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Let me assure you, season 5 is a drag. I was a fan of it till season 4, but boy, season 5 is such a pain, I quit it mid way after watching around 4 episodes.

Same here. Although I would like to try again after watching the series below.

Boston Legal
Hotstar

S1-5
S2-3
S3-4.

The problem with certain TV shows is the political bias/propaganda starts after attaining viewership and the essence of the show starts to suffer and decline in most cases.

Last edited by Ashutosh : 10th September 2018 at 09:34.
Old 10th September 2018, 10:09   #2143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Completed watching First season of Jack Ryan
Binge watched it and finished it quite quickly. My interest in the series was primarily due to familiarly with "Jim Halpert" of the office, whom I absolutely adored in that series.

Jack Ryan Started off nicely and maintained the momentum throughout the series. However, the last episode was quite a disappointment and not a worthy finish to an otherwise good show.

Performances are all okay, nothing spectacular. Chubby Cheeks - Abbie Cornish- is a treat for eyes. My favorite part of the show is the clever story-line of Suleiman.
Old 10th September 2018, 10:48   #2144
Senior - BHPian

Watch TV very rarely now as hooked into Team bhp.
Like KBC and started watching the latest season which has started recently from 03rd Sept. 2018.
Old 10th September 2018, 21:21   #2145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
Jack Ryan Started off nicely and maintained the momentum throughout the series. However, the last episode was quite a disappointment and not a worthy finish to an otherwise good show.
Yeah the last episode looked rushed, they have could have easily got that content across 2 episodes. Still wasn't a big disappointment for me.

I did like that they showed how US police would actually behave in that episode unlike some of the movies and Tv series where a Police officer gets shot even when they see a credible threat building.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks