Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2018, 12:51   #2236
BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Watched The Last Ship (Seasons 1- to 5) back to back. I really liked it with all the characters played their part very well. I like Tex, Master Chief out of All.
Its on prime and worth watching.
Season 5 - ten episodes and 10th being the last one. But somehow I expected a clean finish or may be 11th episode?
Cheers
Old 26th November 2018, 13:08   #2237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I watched a couple of episodes and was put off by the slow speed and Julia Roberts' rather unenthusiastic performance. She seems to be one actress who has gone steadily downhill since her prime.

I watch Prime rarely these days since, unlike Netflix, I can't cast it off my iphone app to TV directly. But since I had plugged the laptop in, changed to tom Clancy's Jack Ryan and found it really slickly made and fast-paced. Finished off all 8 episodes of Season 1 in one weekend!

You are right about Homecoming. I somehow managed to finish the season, with utmost patience. It started on the same lines as the Bourne series, where tough guys are brainwashed and are made to go on secret missions. But somewhere in the middle, the story moved into Julia's character's personal life. If it was not Julia, very few people would have watched Homecoming.
Old 26th November 2018, 13:38   #2238
Team-BHP Support

I have been having a tough time with all the new series that I've started. Quit all of the following after 2-3 episodes.

Mr Robot - Boring
Ozark - Ok Ok
Law & Order UK - Quite repetitive
Mentalist - Boring

I am thinking of starting Patriot on prime - let's see.
Old 26th November 2018, 14:36   #2239
Senior - BHPian

Started watching Money Heist. Though it is an interesting story, I dont like the pacing. Its too slow for my liking. Normally, I want to stick to 1 series and finish it before moving to another. But, got a bit bored and switched to Haunting of the Hill house. This is a very well made Horror series. I have 3 more episodes to finish. Though interesting and well made with excellent performances from all the actors, it is again slow paced and could have been cut short significantly.

Last series I really liked was 'LIne of Duty'. It's a British series focusing on police anti-corruption unit. The interrogation scenes are brilliantly done with top notch performances from every one. (9/10)
Before that I finished Daredevil Season 3 which thankfully lived up to the hype. Daredevil is one of my top superheroes and the 3rd season is as good as the other 2. The characterization of BullsEye is simply superb and the fight scenes between Daredevil and Bullseye are one of the most amazing superhero fight scenes ever seen. Though the future of the Daredevil series looks uncertain (9/10)
Old 26th November 2018, 15:51   #2240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I have been having a tough time with all the new series that I've started. Quit all of the following after 2-3 episodes.
I am thinking of starting Patriot on prime - let's see.

Watch Elementary & Fringe on Prime, if you've not done it already. Both are fast paced interesting series. Both series have one common point, John Noble. Brilliant actor, especially in the Fringe series.

Jonny Miller is great as Sherlock in NY. Great acting!!!
Old 26th November 2018, 18:06   #2241
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Watch Elementary & Fringe on Prime, if you've not done it already. Both are fast paced interesting series. Both series have one common point, John Noble. Brilliant actor, especially in the Fringe series.

Jonny Miller is great as Sherlock in NY. Great acting!!!
Yes, I've seen both Fringe and Elementary. Looking for similar series on Prime but have found nothing good.
Old 27th November 2018, 00:09   #2242
Senior - BHPian

Picked up a Tv series after a long time and it didn't go too well.

Narcos : Mexico

Not in the same league as last 2 seasons. I found the casting of Felix to be very weak, the actor was unable to portray a powerful & smart Cartel Leader. Rest of the casting wasn't as bad. Overall storytelling was not as crisp and detailed as the previous 2 either. His power acquisition and rise as a leader is very poorly depicted IMO. Not sure what can they show in the next season as it basically went down the hill for Felix and gang.

2.5/5
Old 28th November 2018, 05:49   #2243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Not sure what can they show in the next season as it basically went down the hill for Felix and gang.

2.5/5
The guy they call 'Chapo' in this show went on to be the most dreaded drug kingpin in Mexico. So they do have ammo to go few more seasons.
I agree that this version of Narcos did not match up to previous three seasons. The Colombia based seasons had lot of original video content interspersed with the dramatised parts. It kept on reminding you that the horrors and monsters shown were real. I found this to be severely lacking in Narcos Mexico - tough to say whether such footage was not to be found or this was how the makers of the show made it.

Last edited by IndieGooner : 28th November 2018 at 05:50.
Old 28th November 2018, 07:07   #2244
BHPian

Has anybody watched "The Office (US)". It's really clean and really good. It is like that show, you leave on and continue with your chores/work, and not in a bad way!
Old 28th November 2018, 16:12   #2245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGooner View Post
The guy they call 'Chapo' in this show went on to be the most dreaded drug kingpin in Mexico. So they do have ammo to go few more seasons.
There is already a 3 season series named "El Chapo" on netflix, which is well made. I doubt there will be a Narcos season on Chapo in future.

That said, this was the very beginning of the formation of any sort of cartel in Mexico, where it all started. So probably that is how it actually was in reality i.e. Felix not being that strong a leader, worthy of taking tough decisions, lacking confidence in decision making on and off etc.

All said and done, neither the villain side nor the hero side has any strong characters depicted in this season. The first 3 seasons had more than one strong characters.
I am in the middle of it, and still got a couple of episodes to go, but my verdict probably might not change.

its a 3/5 at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Honestly I haven't seen the past seasons, so I don't have a barometer for assessment.
Then you should catch up on the first 3 seasons. i would rate season 1 & 2 as 4/5 and season 3 at 4.5/5.
Not the stuff you would like to miss IMHO

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 28th November 2018 at 16:35.
Old 28th November 2018, 16:31   #2246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
That said, this was the very beginning of the formation of any sort of cartel in Mexico, where it all started. So probably that is how it actually was in reality i.e. Felix not being that strong a leader, worthy of taking tough decisions, lacking confidence in decision making on and off etc.

All said and done, neither the villain side nor the hero side has any strong characters depicted in this season. The first 3 seasons had more than one strong characters
+1 to this.

I was seriously disappointed by Michael Pena; he's done so good in the secondary roles he's got in movies; but here he's still playing second fiddle to sometimes even the ancillary characters! Diego Luna at times seems confused, not sure if it was on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Picked up a Tv series after a long time and it didn't go too well.

Narcos : Mexico

Not in the same league as last 2 seasons.
Not sure what can they show in the next season as it basically went down the hill for Felix and gang.

2.5/5
Honestly I haven't seen the past seasons, so I don't have a barometer for assessment. But for a newbie (to the series), I found it worth a watch.

But looking at the ending, I'm sure there's lot more to go. Guess I'll have to read the history to understand.
Old 28th November 2018, 16:39   #2247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have you watched The Shield? It's an old crime drama series. Please catch the first few episodes if you can. The remastered HD version is scheduled to be released on December 18, 2018.

Had me hooked when I started the series! I am sure you'll love it.
Old 28th November 2018, 18:49   #2248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Watch 'The Missing' in Amazon Prime. It is an 8 episode - 1 hr/episode British series filmed in mainland Europe. So there is a little French and German (2nd season) dialogues, which is ofcourse explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
tom Clancy's Jack Ryan
Its Jack Ryan character I couldn't connect to, he's shown as a rookie in the field and tad younger, even though the actor John Krasinski was a 38 year old compared to Alec Baldwin who was 32 when he played Hunt for Red October. Then it was Harrison Ford in the 2 other Jack Ryan movies from the 90s.

I loved the supporting characters much better.

Last edited by narayans80 : 28th November 2018 at 18:58.
Old 28th November 2018, 20:35   #2249
BHPian

I have watched the first 4 episodes of Mirzapur (Prime Video). It is ridiculously addictive and I had to stop myself from an overnight binge. The theme is a bit similar to GOW(Anurag Kashyap).

I am a big fan of the lead actor, Pankaj Tripathy. He is among the unsung and unheralded amazing actors of our time. Pretty much everyone has done a good job. Must Watch in my opinion.

Do remember there are quite a few disturbing scenes(gore) and language.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 28th November 2018 at 20:37.
Old 29th November 2018, 09:55   #2250
Distinguished - BHPian

Roadkill - 4/5
Discovered a new (for me) series - there's an web based series that focuses on multiple things - redoing old classics as well as race cars; and what not. There are a host of popular series like these on Amazon and Netflix; but I really enjoy the joking and fun attitude these two guys bring to the table.

They get uploaded on this site -Motor Trends and are available for free after a short time post every new episode. Another option is Youtube - all past 6 seasons are available.

Still going through season 1, and in-between jumped to a few episodes on other seasons and am loving it

Last edited by ninjatalli : 29th November 2018 at 09:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks