Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2018, 11:53   #2251
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I have been having a tough time with all the new series that I've started. Quit all of the following after 2-3 episodes.
Thanks to Ankit Arora for sending this information in via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I encountered a post by Mr Eddy requesting for some TV Show suggestions at "https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/25760-television-shows-what-do-you-watch-no-spoilers-please-150.html#post4501563"

I would like to share a show named "Person Of Interest"

IMDB - https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1839578/
Old 29th November 2018, 11:59   #2252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Ankit Arora for sending this information in via this Team-BHP page!
I think He is already done with that.

If going for any old shows, Psych is nice watch. Predictable at times, but Roday as Shawn is kind of iconic, and funny.
Old 29th November 2018, 12:30   #2253
BHPian

My current watch-list

On generic TV (read TATA Sky)
1. Masterchef Australia (will not recommend any other variants of Masterchef)

On Amazon Prime
1. Sheldon. Good light-hearted fun.
2. Bosch. Annoying part is that Season 4 was shown on Colors Infinity but yet to appear on Amazon prime despite it being an Amazon Original
3. Goliath. Spread over 2 seasons. Found it to be good.
4. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Edgy comedy. Waiting for Season 2
5. Sneaky Pete

On Netflix
1. Mossad 101. Spoken language is Hebrew with subtitles in English. Based on how Mossad agents are selected and trained.

Some of the past shows that I have watched and enjoyed
1. Person of Interest (now available on Amazon Prime)
2. The IT Crowd. 90s British Comedy show. (available on Netflix)
3. For the trekkies, Star Trek : Original Series, Star Trek : The Next Generation, Star Trek : Deep Space Nine, Star Trek : Enterprise and Start Trek : Discovery are available on Netflix
Old 29th November 2018, 12:41   #2254
BHPian

Any recommendations on series like Star Trek or Stargate?

Need to start watching new sci-fi series related to space, aliens etc.
Old 29th November 2018, 12:44   #2255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Narcos : Mexico
I found the casting of Felix to be very weak, the actor was unable to portray a powerful & smart Cartel Leader. Rest of the casting wasn't as bad.
2.5/5
+1
True. Felix's casting was very poor. We are talking about a powerful drug lord who shaped and organized drug trade in Mexico.

Quote:
Overall storytelling was not as crisp and detailed as the previous 2 either.
Narcos S1 & S2(with Escobar) and S3(with Cali Cartel) was amazingly detailed. Narcos Mexico S1 felt like a half-baked attempt. Mexico's Drug trade was more violent and more organised than Colombia. However, I strongly feel that this is just the beginning. El Chapo was spotted in E2 helping Rafa. Felix will be captured (sorry for the spoiler but then its well-known history) and the entire attention will be shifted to El Chapo and Ismael "El Mayo". If Netflix is planning to tell the story till El Chapo's capture in 2016, Narcos Mexico has the potential to be an amazing watch.

Colombia used to have two drug cartels (Medellin and Cali), so the job in Narcos S1-2-3 was easy. Mexico has more than five cartels with a history of ugly (but organised) violence between these cartels. Let's see how they do the justice to Mexican drug war's complex story.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 12:47   #2256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Recently finished watching Haunting of the Hill House on Netflix. It is one of those rare well made horror series. Very few jump scares but a lot of creepy moments. Everyone has acted very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
The Haunting of Hill House:

This has to be one of the best TV shows I have watched in the recent times. It goes beyond horror.
Episode 6 is just fantastic. Felt more like a play.
The camera work deserves special mention. Not to forget the fabulous acting, even by all the child actors.
Every character is memorable.

A must watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Totally agree!!

The Haunting of Hill House: This has to be the best Netflix Series ever produced, to say it surpasses Stranger things would be the right thing. There is a lot going on in this series and the utter suspense that takes place right till the end is just too good.

If you have watched the spanish movie Orphanage, you will get an idea. the emotions/horror/suspense it generates is truly great. Definitely a Must watch!

The child actors are amazing and so are their adult counterparts. Luke, Nell, Shirley stand out! Great job by the creators.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The Haunting of Hill House: 4/5

Absolutely brilliant. I'd say the whole series could have been shortened to a 3 hour movie or maybe 5 episodes to make it much better, but not complaining - the series is worth the watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
.. But, got a bit bored and switched to Haunting of the Hill house. This is a very well made Horror series. I have 3 more episodes to finish. Though interesting and well made with excellent performances from all the actors, it is again slow paced and could have been cut short significantly.
Thank you guys for the reviews! I just activated my free 30 days Netflix trial and this was the first series I picked. Agree with all the reviews - it's really well made with a gripping story line. I have been through only about 4 episodes so far.

I really liked the way they are building up all the characters in separate story lines and intersect briefly to stitch everything together for a cohesive flow. I find it so much better than the horror flicks that have been dished out recently by Hollywood. In this series format at least there is a scope of character development, backstories etc. It gives you some chance to get to know the people better. In the substandard horror movies I have always felt there is this rush to get to the 'heart of the matter', and that eventually does them in.

Oh and have to commend the crew! The cuts are fabulous - lot's of thought/planning must have gone into cutting the scenes the way they do.
Old 30th November 2018, 00:20   #2257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGooner View Post
The guy they call 'Chapo' in this show went on to be the most dreaded drug kingpin in Mexico. So they do have ammo to go few more seasons.
Fair point, i hope they have a better following season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Honestly I haven't seen the past seasons, so I don't have a barometer for assessment. But for a newbie (to the series), I found it worth a watch.

But looking at the ending, I'm sure there's lot more to go. Guess I'll have to read the history to understand.
Yes, Stand alone its not bad but the previous 3 seasons have set such a high standard that its difficult to rate it at that level. Honestly drop everything and watch the first 3 seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Colombia used to have two drug cartels (Medellin and Cali), so the job in Narcos S1-2-3 was easy. Mexico has more than five cartels with a history of ugly (but organised) violence between these cartels. Let's see how they do the justice to Mexican drug war's complex story.
Agree, I just hope they do justice to the series in next seasons.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th November 2018 at 08:10. Reason: Trimming quoted text
Old 30th November 2018, 22:10   #2258
BHPian

Finished the Season of Mirzapur I'd rate this as 8/10. There are some plot holes and very convenient twists. However, the show moves at a rapid rate and performances were amazing.

I'd add Ali Zafar as the other standout other than Pankaj Tripathy. You knew about Tripathy but Ali Zafar, just wow! Amazed at the transformation. This is must watch in my opinion.

I'd repeat my guidance, it's definitely not for the faint heart. I had to look away from some of the grotesque scenes. I can understand the intimate scenes (no skin really) but the way they are filmed is very different and in some ways almost comical e.g. when Munna Thakur (Divyanshu) has sex, he counts .

Watch it, before someone gets this banned.

Last edited by aah78 : 30th November 2018 at 23:10. Reason: Post fixed. Avoid political references please.
Old 5th December 2018, 04:06   #2259
Senior - BHPian

I have started watching The Rookie, available on Hulu. It is in its first season and seems promising. It stars Nathan Fillion (many know him as Castle) as John Nolan, a guy who reinvents himself after a devastating divorce and becomes a rookie cop. Series starts with him joining the force as a rookie along with 2 other rookies, referred to as Boots. Obviously, because of his age, he is given a tough time but with his wisdom and street smarts, he manages to not fail disastrously.

It is a wholesome series that you can watch with kids around. It has some humor, some action, some emotion. Little bit of everything that makes for a nice viewing.
Old 5th December 2018, 14:23   #2260
Senior - BHPian

After finishing up with Elementary, picked up quite a few boring one's, which I quit after couple of episodes

Covert Affairs - Meh
101 Mossad - didn't find it that gripping
and a couple more names that I don't remember

Then picked up Mirzapur and boy
Done in two days. Quite a well made series.

Right now, hooked to Better Call Saul.
Honestly, I like this one better then Breaking Bad. I know there are some hardcore BB fans here, who would disagree, but it all boils down to taste. I could not bring myself to complete the last season of BB.
As of now, done with season 1 of BCS. It picks up slowly, but keeps getting better and better.

There is also this Lethal Weapon series which I keep getting back to whenever I get an overdose of too good stuff like Mirzapur/Elementary and the likes.
Lethal weapon is light hearted and breaks the ice between two great shows for me.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 5th December 2018 at 14:26.
Old 5th December 2018, 14:46   #2261
BHPian

For anyone who likes watching hilarious social experiments, and good hidden camera based pranks, I highly recommend watching Impractical Jokers. The show is very original in terms of the challenges they perform, along with the punishments they take on for failing to complete their challenges, and it induces tears from laughing so hard at times
It airs on Comedy Central India & WB Channel on TV, and I have also read online that it is available on Netflix.

Cheers
Old 5th December 2018, 23:04   #2262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I'd add Ali Zafar as the other standout other than Pankaj Tripathy. You knew about Tripathy but Ali Zafar, just wow! Amazed at the transformation. This is must watch in my opinion.
You mean Ali Fazal, right? Yeah he is a great actor.
Old 6th December 2018, 02:33   #2263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post

Right now, hooked to Better Call Saul.
Honestly, I like this one better then Breaking Bad. I know there are some hardcore BB fans here, who would disagree, but it all boils down to taste. I could not bring myself to complete the last season of BB.
As of now, done with season 1 of BCS. It picks up slowly, but keeps getting better and better.
Yes, there are BB fans here! LOL

I love BB but I like BCS too. This last season was great! But for me, there hasn't been a character like Heisenberg in any series. The changes in his character - just spectacular. I would beg you to watch the last season. The last episode is just spectacular.
Old 6th December 2018, 09:34   #2264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
You mean Ali Fazal, right? Yeah he is a great actor.
That name sounded so corny, I knew something was off

Yeah, Ali Fazal. He's done a great job!
Old 6th December 2018, 10:00   #2265
Senior - BHPian

People who loved Mirzapur and Pankaj Tripathy in it must watch another masterpiece named Powder at Netflix.

Quote:
Powder is a fact-based show following a team of officers working under the fictitious ‘Narcotics Control Bureau’ or the ‘NCB’ that chases our own desi Pablo Escobars and investigates related cases of human trafficking, illegal arms dealings and smuggling.

Existing in the strange space between John Mathew Mathan’s Sarfarosh and Narcos (which released 5 years after Powder), the show delves into delicious detail on both sides of the drug war. There’s the top-cop Usmaan Malik (played by Manish Chaudhari) who heads a team at NCB, hot on the trail of the resident druglord/smuggler, Naved Ansari (a pitch-perfect Pankaj Tripathi). Casting this duo of the tough cop and smart thief with these two actors, only elevates the principal conflict. And both Chaudhari and Tripathi are superbly understated, letting their silences fill the room.
Review Source.

I completely agree with the quoted review. We have our own fictional Pablo Escobar in Naved Ansari and DEA in NCB. DEA has its own problems with CIA, FBI and local cops. That same inter-department rivalry is portrayed amazingly among NCB (Narcotics Control Bureau), ANC (Anti-Narcotics Cell) and DRI (Directorate of Revenue Intelligence). They’re estranged cousins with different pieces of the puzzle, constantly throwing the law in each other’s face, fighting for that last piece of the pie.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks