Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2019, 23:58   #2341
BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

While binging on Hanna (Amazon Prime), found another good series.
Hanna is sticking to the movie and being a TV series, the characters are given a backstory and chance to develop unlike a movie where everything has to wrap up in 90 minutes.
Hanna TV series was developed by the same person who wrote the movie.

Turn Up Charlie on Netflix India
This is about a DJ who was famous but splurged all his wealth on women and drugs, now living with his aunty and gets drafted to baby sit the daughter of his school mate who is a movie actor and a DJ wife.
Only 8 episodes and the series stars Idris Elba as Charlie the down & out DJ.
Do watch it if you want a feel good series to spend time with.

Old 1st April 2019, 16:29   #2342
BHPian

Re: "Hotel Mumbai"?

Where/How can we watch "Hotel Mumbai"?

Hearing good things about this movie!

Mods: I wouldn't know this is an appropriate thread for this query. If NOT, please move it accordingly!

Last edited by JMaruru : 1st April 2019 at 16:30.
Old 6th April 2019, 11:15   #2343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Only watched 2 episodes so far, yet will give Delhi Crime (Netflix) 5 / 5 stars. It's on the Nirbhaya tragedy. Very real, very upsetting as to the kind of animals out there in this world.
I want to watch it. Even put it on my Netflix list but not able to. Somehow such stuff makes me too depressed and i start questioning the cruel world we are living in. Lesse if I can bring myself up to seeing it.

Finished Deadly Class season 1. It's a story about a school training teenagers as assassins.. Absolutely fantastic. Excellent acting all around. Don't miss it.

P.S - As per comic book readers it's quite true to its source but does deviates a bit here and there.
Old 6th April 2019, 13:41   #2344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Binge watched 5 episodes of Delhi Crime earlier today.

Take a bow Richie Mehta, Shefali Shah, Rasika Duggal, Rajesh Tailang & Adil Hussain.
Frankly Rasika Duggal has a very minor role in the entire series. Hardly much screen time either. I would say that the real stars of the series are Rajesh Tailang and Shefali Shah. The former has done a stellar job as second in command to the DCP.

It's a good show, one of the better ones which have come out of indian production houses in recent times. Another good series is Mirzapur, which I found to be much better than the excessively hyped Sacred Games on Netflix.
Old 6th April 2019, 19:24   #2345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post

Turn Up Charlie on Netflix India

I really liked till episode 3 or 4 and after that it just went downhill. Poor poor writing and the way they went about redeeming charlie just didn't make sense. I would skip it, completely.

Sex education, on the other hand, is brilliant. Good story and great job done by actors.
Old 9th April 2019, 10:53   #2346
Senior - BHPian

Didn't you guys find the Delhi Crime actors and the acting sub-par? Sure, the plot is very real and very interesting but the lackluster performance of the actors just makes it not gripping enough. Shefali Shah is ok but she alone can't pull the show.

On another note, for whoever is interested in the sci-fi, supernatural, fantasy genre, THE OA on Netflix is a must watch! You won't regret it.

The OA: 5/5*

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 9th April 2019 at 10:54.
Old 10th April 2019, 17:56   #2347
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Watched Madam Secretary on Prime, all 4 seasons, and I loved it. Worth a watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Thank you for the recommendation. I completed 3 seasons back to back. It's a well made series.

Attachment 1864001
Madam Secretary is a good show. The first couple of seasons are good and I thought that the last episode of season 4 was exceptional. There was also an episode in season 2 which dealt with Henry’s family dynamics which I thought was absolutely splendid. But that said, there are lots of episodes in the show that are a cop out; the writing team really appears to have run out of ideas in those episodes.

If you want to watch a super engaging political drama, look no further than The West Wing. The first few seasons when Aaron Sorkin was involved are great. The later seasons, although they don’t measure up to Sorkin’s standards, are still pretty decent. The show is especially good at showing how an administration transitions when key people start to move on in different directions.

Admittedly the show is a bit idealistic. But I would gladly allow a TV show that latitude if it’s otherwise good. And this show is quite alright by me. Sorkin’s snappy writing is brought to life by an brilliant cast whose dialogue delivery style makes the show truly memorable. I still remember key passages of so many episodes purely because of the dialogue exchanges. Allison Janet (CJ Cregg) and Richard Schiff (Toby Ziegler) are stand out actors. Martin Sheen and the others are no slouches either. It’s an old show; but so relevant in today’s times.
Old 10th April 2019, 18:59   #2348
BHPian

I recently watched 'Criminal Justice' (on Hotsar)

I am a huge fan of Pankaj Tripathy and he does not disappoint. It is well written, well directed and has some very funny lines amidst a lot of gloom and doom. Pretty much all actors have done a good job though. It is a thriller and you are wondering, what really happened? That, thankfully is answered in the final episode. So worth your time.

A 4/5 from me.

PS: Do not watch with kids as it has some gore.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 10th April 2019 at 19:03.
Old 10th April 2019, 19:10   #2349
Team-BHP Support

Anyone who has watched Criminal Justice must watch, The Night Of, an American remake of the British original from whom both are inspired.

I've watched The Night Of long ago; it is terrific. Brilliant acting by all the main characters.
Old 17th April 2019, 23:20   #2350
Distinguished - BHPian

While revisiting narcos, I came across el chema or something like that. Pretty bad.
But that led me to "Pablo escobar - El patron Del mal", which seems to a locally made series. There's just one season, but it has 74 episodes of 40 minutes each.
It's quite nice. Of course, does not have the cinematics or engagement of the original, but it's got me hooked.
Old 18th April 2019, 14:09   #2351
BANNED

Game of Thrones season 8 episode 1 was pretty basic, much like a meet and greet episode. I hope they have kept all the good things to the end.
Or rather it is getting difficult for them to meet the hype that they have created all along. Hotstar in mean while is helping me in finishing off the Air Crash series that I haven't yet watched.

Back to Netflix, started Sabrina S2 and already bored by the 2nd episode. StartTrek Enterprise surprisingly has maintained the quality so far. Hinterland is excellent so is Broadchurch. I somehow like the typical British crime series.

How is Blacklist S6? Season 5 was boring, hence wanted to check review before starting.

Amazon is having good choices in movies, but somehow I feel they are lagging Netflix in TV series.
Old 18th April 2019, 14:37   #2352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I too like Takeshi's castle and Mr.Bean (animated also)
Takeshi Castle with JJ's hilarious commentary is just too good. Me and my kido both like that. Apart from that, these days i have been watching lots of Binge worthy stuff on Netflix and Prime Video. The content they have is second to none.

Tata Sky now a days is my second preference except for live Cricket matches (Minus IPL). These days i have been keenly watching "The Heist" on Netflix. Quite a gripping original series by Netflix. Gully Boy has also arrived on Amazon PV.

Last edited by NAVREVV : 18th April 2019 at 14:40.
Old 18th April 2019, 14:42   #2353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I recently watched 'Criminal Justice' (on Hotsar)

I am a huge fan of Pankaj Tripathy and he does not disappoint. It is well written, well directed and has some very funny lines amidst a lot of gloom and doom. Pretty much all actors have done a good job though. It is a thriller and you are wondering, what really happened? That, thankfully is answered in the final episode. So worth your time.

A 4/5 from me.

PS: Do not watch with kids as it has some gore.
Isn't this an unofficial remake of HBO's "In the night of"? The original is chilling! I guess both (original and duplicate) are available on Hotstar

Does anyone know where to watch Season 6 of Brooklyn NIne Nine?
Old 19th April 2019, 18:02   #2354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Metro Park : 1.5 / 5
Give it a miss if you ask me.
We'd just watched the first episode (on YouTube) about the time you posted this.
We liked it, so I signed up for Eros Now but I watched the later episodes sceptically.

We ended up liking the show.
I guess it's because how realistically they've portrayed the mannerisms & reactions of the characters in certain situations. They react exactly like a bunch of people my family is acquainted with.

My son loves the character of Bittu & his antics!
Old 19th April 2019, 19:32   #2355
Senior - BHPian

End of Grand Tour! 😥

Jeremy, James and Richard announced that the show is coming to an end, after an epic 17 years of mind-blowing, insane, laughter-riotish, extremely informative and THE BEST, an automobile show could do in the world. Jeremy was especially very emotional while announcing.

It became even more emotional when they showed a montage of clips from across 17 years, not just from Amazon but also from their first 'employer' BBC. The audience in the 'tent' were also emotional and were shouting "Don't Stop !"

Well, it's not really the end of show per say, but they are going to do some specials and few road trips, in a different format. However, it's not certain if we will see the 3 arguably the best hosts ever on TV / web.

Yes they've had their share of criticism and mistakes, which they could have avoided, specifically Jeremy. But, given the long 17 years of career, you cannot stay perfect forever.

Kudos to the 3 insane guys and the entire team behind my personal favourite Automobile show ever.

Who knows, it might just be a marketing gimmick or something. I hope it is, but you can't ask for more.

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-grandtour.jpg

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 19th April 2019 at 19:44.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed