Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2019, 21:54   #2386
BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Veep
Streaming on Hotstar

Any Veep fans here.
Season 7 - its last season - has been one of the best seasons of this amazing show.
Only for fans of political dumpster fires.
If you want to see a dysfunctional set of people, this is the show to watch.
Very strong language so take care on that part.
Julia Louie-Dreyfus is an awesome actress.

Old 2nd May 2019, 10:20   #2387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Only for fans of political dumpster fires.
If you want to see a dysfunctional set of people, this is the show to watch.
Very strong language so take care on that part.
Julia Louie-Dreyfus is an awesome actress.
Absolutely hate it, I feel Julia Dreyfus spoilt her legacy coming from the greatest show in American history, Seinfeld into this mess. I'm used to strong language but its used horribly in this show (very unnatural) and its not political satire either.. at best it is simply a show with no script, no dialogue, just showing the characters running around aimlessly inside POTUSville.

I was coming to the same topic, hence replied to this.. I'm a very hard man to please comedy wise, at best a snicker or a smile, very few shows have made me lose it and just when I thought Family Guy was getting pathetic, comes the episode of Donald Trump.. I was shedding tears laughing at it, they absolutely scalded the POTUS, using every old joke, every bad incident, and every blooper to their advantage.. my god lol. The very fact that America is mature enough to laugh at such portrayals of leaders shows its the greatest country in the universe, do that here and you're talking 1 million court cases, banishment and prison-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Absolutely hate it, I feel Julia Dreyfus spoilt her legacy coming from the greatest show in American history, Seinfeld into this mess. I'm used to strong language but its used horribly in this show (very unnatural) and its not political satire either.. at best it is simply a show with no script, no dialogue, just showing the characters running around aimlessly inside POTUSville.

I was coming to the same topic, hence replied to this.. I'm a very hard man to please comedy wise, at best a snicker or a smile, very few shows have made me lose it and just when I thought Family Guy was getting pathetic, comes the episode of Donald Trump.. I was shedding tears laughing at it, they absolutely scalded the POTUS, using every old joke, every bad incident, and every blooper to their advantage.. my god lol. The very fact that America is mature enough to laugh at such portrayals of leaders shows its the greatest country in the universe, do that here and you're talking 1 million court cases, banishment and prison-time.

ROTFLMBO!!

Last edited by ampere : 2nd May 2019 at 10:50. Reason: back to back posts merged.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:35   #2388
Senior - BHPian

Some of the biggest and multi-award winning shows in their category are ending this year. :-(
  • Game of Thrones
  • The Big Bang Theory
  • Suits
  • Homeland

Big Bang Theory has only 4 episodes left, Suits last season begins on July 17, and GOT is already in progress. Hope we get some content for the coming years. We have been used these shows for last 10+ years, so it is a bit difficult to imagine television shows without these few top shows.
Old 2nd May 2019, 15:31   #2389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
[*]Homeland
Is 'Homeland' series still on? Where do you watch the same?
Old 4th May 2019, 08:48   #2390
BHPian

Apart from Game of thrones, suits, homeland I like watching Blacklist, sacred games, star trek discovery and designated survivor.

Did anyone try John Claude Van Johnson? It's a good comedy with vandamme posed as a retired secret agent coming back to the game, and what follows is a comedy of errors.

Previously I have liked Banshee too, a completely different kind of series with action and violence and a good plot too. Must try
Old 6th May 2019, 23:32   #2391
Team-BHP Support

No comments on the 4th episode of GoT ? I guess it reflects on the episode - a little underwhelming IMO.
Old 6th May 2019, 23:42   #2392
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone seen Our Planet on NetFlix?

Narrated by David Attenborough, the series potray some amazing visuals and candid photography apart from raising some really thought provoking questions.

Rating 5/5
Old 6th May 2019, 23:43   #2393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
No comments on the 4th episode of GoT ? I guess it reflects on the episode - a little underwhelming IMO.
About 4th, it looked a bit hurried. With only 2 more to go this is kinda understandable. Overall it's nowhere close to episode 3.

Won't divulge anymore as we should refrain from spoilers.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th May 2019 at 12:08. Reason: Spoilers.
Old 7th May 2019, 10:05   #2394
Senior - BHPian

At this point, i just want the series to end. Hope the battle at/for King's Landing is a worthy closure to the series.
Old 7th May 2019, 11:01   #2395
Team-BHP Support

Oh, and btw - I did spot what looked like a Starbucks cup on the table. The internet is having fun on that.

Check 16:28 minutes into the episode.

Last edited by Eddy : 7th May 2019 at 11:07.
Old 7th May 2019, 11:10   #2396
BHPian

The 4th episode (GoT S8) was poorly written. I didn't hate e02, but this was egregious. I mean so many issues. Phew!
Won't spoil, but yes, now it seems all they want to do is end it, come what may.

We might as well have Harry Potter shouting "Avada Kedavra" to Cercie and everyone else and finish the show.

PS: The writing took a nosedive after GRRM stopped writing the episodes
Old 7th May 2019, 11:36   #2397
Senior - BHPian

Unpredictability was one of the USPs of the show, and it seems to be losing it at the business end of the show.

S8E5 holds the key how this show wants to be remembered by its fans, E6 might just be a formality and wrapup.

Let's see if they have any up-the-sleeve moves left.
--
Blacklist has finally closed the long running thread of the series in S6E19. I can finally stop the skip-watching this show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Is 'Homeland' series still on? Where do you watch the same?
Homeland is in Hotstar. The season hasn't begun yet this year.

In general you can use Justwatch app/site to find which streaming provider airs a series. Once you select the country, it'll show the country specific provider

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th May 2019 at 12:19. Reason: Removed quoted post.
Old 7th May 2019, 12:05   #2398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
The 4th episode (GoT S8) was poorly written. I didn't hate e02, but this was egregious.

PS: The writing took a nosedive after GRRM stopped writing the episodes
Agreed. This season is a victim of poor writing. So many plot holes each episode and that Starbucks cup is actually funny to see. Unpredictability factor was gone last season itself. This season is all about how to kill Cersei and seems like it will happen next episode and last episode will be goodbye sorts. Anyways, we all will still see the season through inspite of not liking it much.
Old 7th May 2019, 15:58   #2399
BHPian

I would be glad to see Dario Naharis coming back with a bang in GOT, after all we need all the heroes, seems the worm may go to a duel with the mountain, revenge is in the air. But Euron seems to be a puppet of Cersei and his fate may be with Yara if she will make a come back.

I am wondering if faceless god will have anything to play in remaining episodes. Too many loose ends to tie up.
Old 7th May 2019, 23:03   #2400
BHPian

Mayanagari-City of Dreams
Streaming on Hotstar.

Would appreciate an unvarnished review of the Mayanagari - City of Dreams.
The star cast has doyens like Sachin & Atul Kulkarni.
Helmed by Nagesh Kukunoor, a director with more misses than hits.
The series is getting mixed reviews online though.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed