Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2019, 12:42   #2536
BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Sacred Games 2 is a real waste of time. There is nothing exciting about it barring one or two scenes. From a Hardcore Gangster Storytelling of Season 1, they have made a Bollywood Masala film types Season 2. Too much of detailing and screen time on Guruji (Pankaj Tripathi) and his Ashram, and relentless Gyan which they keep giving is boring by the standards of Season 1. Also missing are the powerful characters of Katekar (jitendra Joshi) and Anjali (Radhika Apte) who had made the season 1 far more interesting.
Old 20th August 2019, 12:54   #2537
Senior - BHPian

Seconded on Sacred games. Extremely underwhelming season and that ending could have been lot better. Also, the abuses were in excess even where they weren't needed at all. Just for the sake of it.
Will start Mirzapur now.

Mindhunter Season 2 has been great. Picked up right where they left in Season 1. Must watch.

Black Spot season 2 was good but a tad slower than first.

It's good Preacher is ending with this season. They have lost all the charm of starting seasons.
Old 20th August 2019, 15:36   #2538
BHPian

Watching
American Gods: good but too slow at times, S2 last 2 episodes pending.
Bosch: Good and fast paced, 50mins episodes flr by.
One Punch Man: on binge list
Sacred Games: Will watch this weekend. Majority is saying doesn't live up to S1, i think most of hindi television and cinema sequels are pathetic in regard to 1st parts (no offense intended). Only Dhoom 2 and Bahubali come to mind which out did the prequels.
Chuck: Finished S1 today, good timepass, going to start S2 tonight
Old 20th August 2019, 16:04   #2539
Team-BHP Support

Highly Recommended

Killing Eve - Pretty gripping - about an MI5 agent tracking down a psychopathic female assassin and both end up obessesed with each other!
Old 20th August 2019, 22:03   #2540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Highly Recommended

Killing Eve - Pretty gripping - about an MI5 agent tracking down a psychopathic female assassin and both end up obessesed with each other!
Have seen it. Found Season 1 better. Midway through S2 it was getting trifle exasperating and repetitive. It’s got good reviews all around though. A Critics darling.

While at Brit TV, Line of Duty is a must watch. It’s about a police Anti corruption unit. While the premise seems tiresome and I was avoiding watching it until an year ago when I saw it on a box set while in the UK. Very intense and plot twists and turns to keep viewers engaged. This is the only show I have seen back to back episodes off. It’s available on Netflix as well. LOD is the real monty from Jed Mercurio who also made the 2018 breakout hit mini series Bodyguard

Agatha Raisin is another one, though it’s a “light Murder mystery series”. Saw it on a box set. Have a special connect with this one. It’s shot in the Cotswolds and I just couldn’t stop myself from visiting some of the filming locations.
Old 21st August 2019, 01:02   #2541
Senior - BHPian

Started final season of Elementary on prime video. First episode has laid down the stuff for the season I guess. If you haven't watched it and like the detective genre then do give it a look. It may surprise you with its unique approach to Sherlock and Watson.
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:35   #2542
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Green Frontier - 8 part mini series on Netflix.
It's Colombian so had to follow on Sub-titles.

Set in the Amazon rainforest and about the native tribes and the eternals.

https://www.netflix.com/title/802055...13747225&t=wha
Old 22nd August 2019, 14:37   #2543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Started final season of Elementary on prime video. First episode has laid down the stuff for the season I guess. If you haven't watched it and like the detective genre then do give it a look. It may surprise you with its unique approach to Sherlock and Watson.
8th season is interesting if not as good as some of the previous seasons. Some of the cases are very complex and damn interesting.

The final episode is damn good. I loved the way they ended on a nice note. Rest is for you to watch and find out.

It was a fantastic series with an American twist on the iconic British character. Everytime, the morning frame of the Brownstone used to lit the screen. It was a well shot, well directed and very well written series. It was a humongous challenge to live and succeed in the shadow of Sherlock series on BBC, which was already a worldwide super blockbuster hit.

I loved Jonny Miller throughout the series, with his ups and downs, moving from addict to sober and back and back to sober and so on. Would love to watch repeat after a few months. I only think Moriarty's presence was very limited in Elementary compared to BBC's Sherlock.
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:08   #2544
BHPian

Just finished watching After Life Season 1. I was very impressed. How can one weave comedy in a serious context so effortlessly? I'd give it 4 stars out of 5.

Anyone's seen it?
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:17   #2545
Team-BHP Support

Completed watching Season 2 of Mindhunters, and loved it.
One show which has done true justice to the previous season, leaving on a cliffhanger for Season 3.
Old 23rd August 2019, 16:14   #2546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Green Frontier - 8 part mini series on Netflix.
It's Colombian so had to follow on Sub-titles.

Set in the Amazon rainforest and about the native tribes and the eternals.

https://www.netflix.com/title/802055...13747225&t=wha
This is on my watch list this weekend. How do you rate this series?

Want to avoid another disappointed weekend after Sacred games 2.
Old 24th August 2019, 13:59   #2547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
This is on my watch list this weekend. How do you rate this series?

Want to avoid another disappointed weekend after Sacred games 2.
Rated 7/10

Great if you like visuals and are interested in the supernatural. Could have been a bit shorter though.
Old 25th August 2019, 19:13   #2548
BHPian

Watched Finnish cop shows over the past two weeks.
Bordertown - geeky detective was kind of average
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4937942/

The one I really liked was Deadwind
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6616260/

Both are worth watching with the latter being an excellent watch.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 12:58   #2549
BHPian

Started a new series this weekend called Grace and Frankie. Stumbled upon it as we watched West Wing for the umpteenth time. Couple of leads from WW are the lead pair here as well. Good casting and an amazing story line starting to develop. I have completed only 5 episodes, but i feel that it can turn into something great. I wouldnt want to talk of the plot much suffice to say its about 4 people who get caught in an old age crisis !!! Satirical and Funny. I also understand that it was written in parts by Marta Koffman of FRIENDS fame.
Old 27th August 2019, 00:18   #2550
Distinguished - BHPian

**Comedy Show Roundup**

Silicon Valley 5/10

I'm very stingy when it comes to comedy ratings (only Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm rack a full 10), but Silicon Valley makes for a nice one time watch. I was never part of the "I.T" herd so it was kinda amusing seeing the hollow world of tech from the eyes of 4 nerds, of which there is the stipulated Jewish character played by an eerily Jewish looking gentile Thomas Middleditch and of course the Indian quota filled by Kumail Nanjiani whom I've hated in interviews but he did pull off the role very nicely on the show. The characters on the show are a mix of real-life tech personalities like Steve Jobs, Zuckerberg etc and one can easily make that out over the course of 5 seasons. I will be watching the final season as it debuts.

Its a typical HBO show, well written and shot nicely. The four nerds bounce off of each others jokes and help keep the comedy values consistent over the seasons.

Big Bang Theory - 4/10

Talking of 4 nerds, having seen the mess that were seasons 9 & 10 and under pressure from my gal pal to round out the series, I did complete 11 & 12, and even by coming from a position of hate, I found it quite good, the nerd factor and Sheldon's eccentricities were highly irritating but the other storylines of Howard, Raj, Penny and Leonard were just fine. As relieved as I was that it ended, I still count it as one of those fond memories going back as the show is 12+ years ago and it felt only like yesterday that I watched season 1.

In its run-up to the finale it calls itself the number one comedy in America, and I have to vehemently disagree, its a good show but far from true comedy. The final two seasons had much better writing and a few jokes were worthy of laughs.. that made up for simply awful seasons from 6-10. Top 10 show, perhaps.

Simpsons Season 30 (9/10)

I'm amazed at the consistency of Simpsons, over 30 seasons.. solid writing, its the one show that shows 'Murica taking potshots at itself with the help of Homer and his family. Great comic values while keeping it clean enough for anyone to watch, in the era of garbage Netflix shows with expletives this comes as fresh air. Funny as hell.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks