Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2019, 10:54   #2701
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
I am currently binge watching the same. Thanks for the recommendation. Loving it till now.

Would definitely recommend to others interested in drama. It's available on Amazon Prime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I'm watching the first season of The Good Doctor on Prime, and would recommend it to everyone. It is a story of a young surgical resident with autism. If you liked House you will definitely enjoy this series.
Have started watching this. As mentioned by you, it is gripping. I come from a long viewership of medical drama series: Grey's anatomy (now boring), House (Good), The Resident(interesting till now) and now The Good Doctor.
The entire series (incl Season 3) is on SonyLIV.
In amazon Prime, it is shown till Season 2.

Anyone watching 911 on Hotstar? Its a good series too!

Last edited by hrman : 1st December 2019 at 10:55.
Old 2nd December 2019, 08:27   #2702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
The entire series (incl Season 3) is on SonyLIV.
In amazon Prime, it is shown till Season 2.

Anyone watching 911 on Hotstar? Its a good series too!
Do you know if SonyLiv requires any paid subscription, or is this among the free content available?
Old 2nd December 2019, 08:40   #2703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Do you know if SonyLiv requires any paid subscription, or is this among the free content available?
It requires paid subscription. But costs 499 for a year. So is reasonable IMHO. Plus if you have an Airtel postpaid or landline, it is free.
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:41   #2704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
It requires paid subscription. But costs 499 for a year. So is reasonable IMHO. Plus if you have an Airtel postpaid or landline, it is free.
That seems reasonable. Thank you
Old 2nd December 2019, 13:17   #2705
BHPian

Just finished watching both the seasons of "Fauda" on Netflix.
Good one for binge watching over a weekend. Originally in Hebrew and Arabic, but has English subtitles and audio option. Fast paced consistently throughout the seasons.
Old 5th December 2019, 19:23   #2706
BHPian

Binge watched season 2 of The Kominsky Method on Netflix. It was every bit as good as season 1. One of the lesser known comedies out there but highly entertaining and the acting is top notch.
Old 6th December 2019, 23:41   #2707
Senior - BHPian

Just finished 'The Expanse' on prime.

Pretty entertaining series for folks who like space related content. The 4th season is supposed to be aired from 13th, hopefully it comes to prime soon.
Old 7th December 2019, 08:10   #2708
Distinguished - BHPian

An acquaintance recommended “The Devil Next Door” on Netflix, a documentary on the chase to nail down a suspected Nazi death camp operator John Demjanjuk nicknamed Ivan the Terrible. He was stripped of US citizenship and tried in Israel in the late 1980s.

It’s a roller coaster of a thriller set against the backdrop of the Cold War ending, with characters truly brought to life thanks to live footage of the trial and news reports of the entire affair from American and Israeli television. A lot of the main players- lawyers on both sides, judges, even relatives of the accused- are still alive and provide fascinating insights into the trial through in-depth interviews. I was absolutely riveted.

I haven’t finished watching it yet but should be done over the weekend. Highly recommended especially for those interested in WW2 and Cold War history.
Old 7th December 2019, 08:47   #2709
BHPian

Operation finale with Ben Kingsley playing Adolf Eichmann is along similar lines. Eichmann masterminded the logistics of shunting and executing Jews and is one of the prime architects of the Holocaust. After Nazi Germany fell, Eichmann, like many other Nazis, fled to Argentina where the dictatorship was sympathetic and even consulted the Nazis in matters of internal security.

Those familiar with the book 'banality of evil' would be familiar with Eichmann. Kingsley's histrionics where he argued that he was just a faceless bureaucrat carrying out his orders, even if that meant murder, is chilling. The dilemma of the mossad agents caught between bringing Eichmann to trial in Israel alive and their own personal experiences with the Holocaust are portrayed beautifully. A refreshing change from the boo yah special forces action flicks that Hollywood dishes out.

Available on Netflix
Old 7th December 2019, 09:03   #2710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
An -----y for those interested in WW2 and Cold War history.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Operation
Available on Netflix
Somehow I never managed to finish it. Based on your recommendation now, I'll try again.

You guys may also want to check out the photographer of mathausen, and the resistance banker. Both are streaming on one or the the other of Netflix and Amazon.
Old 7th December 2019, 09:41   #2711
Distinguished - BHPian

I’ve watched Operation Finale as well. I have been fascinated by Eichmann’s incredible transcontinental arrest ever since I read a first-person account of it in the Readers Digest book section as a kid. It’s good, no doubt, and the dynamic between Eichmann and his captors has been captured very well. But in the end, it’s fiction. What makes “Devil...” fascinating is that it is all real. Live captured footage interspersed with interviews and not even a voiceover narration.

Edit: Thanks Mayank. Will check out “Photographer...” when I can. I caught “The Resistance Banker” in my early Netflix days and loved it; probably time for a revisit as well!

Last edited by navin : 11th December 2019 at 11:16. Reason: typos
Old 8th December 2019, 04:16   #2712
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Just finished watching both the seasons of "Fauda" on Netflix.
Good one for binge watching over a weekend. Originally in Hebrew and Arabic, but has English subtitles and audio option. Fast paced consistently throughout the seasons.

Fauda is one of the better shows out there. Since you enjoyed Fauda, do check out 'The Spy', on Netflix. Once again a series about an Israeli spy, and based on actual events.
Old 8th December 2019, 04:48   #2713
BHPian

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Let me suggest few of my favorites

1. Breaking Bad
2. Fargo
3. You
4. Mindhunter
5. The Crown
6. Broadchurch
7. Dark
8. The End of the F***ING world
9. His Dark Elements
10. Dirty John

Well, I watch a lot of stuff but these ones I really enjoyed. I might have missed few and I have left out the more famous ones which are Indian shows and well marketed.

Cheers and happy binging!😜

Last edited by raaj.bhalla : 8th December 2019 at 04:50.
Old 9th December 2019, 11:15   #2714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I’ve watched Operation Finale as well. Have been fascinated by Eichmann’s incredible transcontinental arrest ever since I read a first person account of it in the Readers Digest book section as a kid. It’s good, no doubt, and the dynamic between Eichmann and his captors has been captured very well. But in the end it’s fiction
Operation Finale is based on the actual events leading up to Eichmann's 'capture' and his transportation to Israel to stand trial. Its cinematic recreation and not fiction.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ale-180970153/
Old 9th December 2019, 12:03   #2715
BHPian

Started watching His Dark Materials, the new epic fantasy show from BBC/HBO. The show is HBO's attempt at recreating the magic of Game of Thrones and retaining that audience, but His Dark Materials feels very bland in terms of characters and intrigue and slow paced, atleast in the initial episodes. Will see how it improves as the season progresses.

Most Viewed