Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2020, 22:18   #3001
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
In case people are looking for a short TV series, I would definitely recommend ‘Spy’ on Netflix. The series is made up of only 6 episodes, each being 40-50 minutes long. This is based on a true story involving an Israeli spy and his adventures in Syria.
Thank you so much for this recommendation. Just what I wanted, short and few episodes and the favorite genre. Very interesting one.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st June 2020 at 22:45. Reason: No spoilers please :)
Old 2nd June 2020, 05:22   #3002
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
My daughter and me were in the middle of enjoying Full House when it suddenly got pulled away from Netflix effective today. Damn.

We'll give the sequel Fuller House a try. It is amazing how they were able to get entire cast together again after decades. Any reviews? Does it come anywhere close to the original, which was 4.5 stars IMO.
While Full House was great, Fuller House is no where close, IMHO. It feels a bit forced, if you know what I mean. Full House seemed genuine and the kids added to the charm. Fuller House on the other hand has its moments, but no where close to the original series. Still makes for a timepass watch.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:04   #3003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
We'll give the sequel Fuller House a try. It is amazing how they were able to get entire cast together again after decades. Any reviews? Does it come anywhere close to the original, which was 4.5 stars IMO.
Very sad and no-where close to the original series. I saw the first 2 episodes; the jokes were sad; the actors not in their elements and the writing was not worth it.

For someone who hasn't seen the original series, it might be still interesting. For others, give it a miss. By a mile.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:41   #3004
Distinguished - BHPian

911 on Disney is a good episodic series.
I've also begun rewatching the good wife and Top Gear. Good wife was always nice, and I'm enjoying seeing it again after a year now. However, Top Gear, as always is tremendous fun. There is so much political incorrectness in the early seasons!!
Old 2nd June 2020, 13:09   #3005
BHPian

I would like to recommend three TV series which are family friendly. These are

1) Yeh Meri Family on TVF app (available on Amazon Prime).

2) Gullak on Sony Liv app

3) Kota Factory on TVF app (available on Amazon Prime).

All of them include just 4-6 episodes, each of them being 20-40 minutes long. All three of them have great scripts and terrific acting.

Based on the recommendations here, I suggested Pataallok to my parents. My mom got irritated with the excess amount of swearing in the show and stopped watching it. My father continued with the show and liked it.

I would like to know any other shows which are family friendly.

Last edited by Saanil : 2nd June 2020 at 13:12.
Old 2nd June 2020, 14:17   #3006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post

I would like to know any other shows which are family friendly.
Paatal lok is too violent for me to recommend to my parents.

Panchayat on Prime is one I would recomend to watch with family. Nice light hearted and heartwarming series.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 14:43   #3007
Distinguished - BHPian

Help!

Over the past two months, have watched 'Sacred Games', 'Paatal Lok' and am now getting through 'Mirzapur'. While each series is certainly entertaining, with great writing and performances, I've had enough of crime and violence!

Any sit-com recommendations please. Something akin to 'Seinfeld', 'Friends', 'Coupling', 'The Office', etc. but modern. Happy comedy, not grim or black humor please! Thanks! And speaking of 'The Office', any idea where the Brit version is streaming?

Last edited by am1m : 2nd June 2020 at 14:45.
Old 2nd June 2020, 15:03   #3008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Any sit-com recommendations please. Something akin to 'Seinfeld', 'Friends', 'Coupling', 'The Office', etc. but modern. Happy comedy, not grim or black humor please! Thanks! And speaking of 'The Office', any idea where the Brit version is streaming?
Modern Family is light enough.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 15:58   #3009
BHPian

Quote:

If you haven't watched 'The Big Bang Theory', you can give it a try. Available on Prime and Netflix.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 22:12   #3010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Help!

I will recommend Schitts Creek - a very light hearted family comedy drama about a rich family who gets poor and their struggle to get back on top.

And Its always Sunny in Philadelphia- a crazy joy ride between people who jointly own a bar. You wont get bored in any of its season. It has 14 of them and 15th season is coming this year.

Also Brooklyn Nine Nine - One of my personal favorite light hearted fun series. It's so popular among the fans that after being cancelled it was picked by other network.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 22:42   #3011
BHPian

Am watching "The Outsider" on hotstar. Its a good watch for supernatural geeks. It is based on a book by Stephen King.
Old 3rd June 2020, 01:09   #3012
Senior - BHPian

Just noticed Netflix isn't playing any title in 4k hdr. All titles which were earlier playing in hdr now plays in HD. While prime video is still playing ultra hd content. So, seems like an issue with Netflix content. Anyone else facing the same?
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:08   #3013
BHPian

Quote:
Help!
Have you watched 'Parks and Recreation' ? It was supposed to be a spinoff of 'The Office', but set in a government office. It is one of my favourite comedies alongwith 'The Office' and 'The IT Crowd'. Chris Pratt is a famous star now thanks to this series .
Newpunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:11   #3014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Help!

Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men. Both are awesome (the latter, till Charlie Sheen was still in it) and the episodes are short and entertaining. Very addictive, both of them. You will keep watching one episode after another and there are enough seasons to keep you entertained for a long time to come.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:15   #3015
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Just noticed Netflix isn't playing any title in 4k hdr. All titles which were earlier playing in hdr now plays in HD. While prime video is still playing ultra hd content. So, seems like an issue with Netflix content. Anyone else facing the same?
All streaming services have downgraded to manage the bandwidth requirements during the lockdown period. Maybe Amazon has reverted to UHD.

Most Viewed