Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2020, 19:28   #3301
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Criminal series in Netflix is crisp and edgy.

Anyone has good recommendation from Korean series? Something short and thrilling in nature.
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 08:05   #3302
Senior - BHPian

Just completed the series- The Assassination of Gianni Versace, on Netflix. I would give it a 3.5 on 5. So this is supposedly based on real life incidents, but I believe a lot of incidents have been dramatised, cinematic liberties taken etc, but even then quite surprising that most of this was true.

The lead actor, who has to to portray the negative character does a brilliant job, I guess he won an award for this last year. One of those characters you will never forget. Two issues though, the adult content can be disturbing, but you can easily skip those scenes, and the last 2 episodes were probably not the best of the lot. Its like a mini series, just 9 episodes, so one can watch this quickly over a week.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 10:25   #3303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
The Social Dilemma

Streaming on Netflix and will resonate with many of us I am sure. Compelling watch and is a must see. Tells you more about the times we live in and more.

Rating: Beyond any rating
So finally caught up with this must watch Documentary. Terrifies you to the core and beyond.

Unlike so many who are hating Mark Zuckerberg for creating this monster called Facebook, I ended up getting empathized and sympathized for him. The kind of catch 22 situation he is in now, I don't think he himself would have ever thought of this. Cannot ever begin to imagine the pressure of stepping into his shoes even for a minute.

PS: The first thing my wife said after watching this was Thank god you are addicted to your team-bhp!
RaghuVis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 17:39   #3304
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here is a strong recommendation for one of my all-time favourite shows - Home Improvement. Old series from the 90s, but will have you warm + happy whenever you watch it. It's about this alpha-male personality Tim Taylor, his home improvement show and family life. Lots of guy stuff, tools, cars & comedy. Recently bought the series on Amazon.com and am watching it again.

5 / 5 stars!

Daily Motion has the pilot episode to get you hooked.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 18:27   #3305
Distinguished - BHPian

Succession:

One of the best shows of HBO now playing on Hotstar. Overtly recommended watch.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 19:23   #3306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Succession:

One of the best shows of HBO now playing on Hotstar. Overtly recommended watch.
+1. One of the best shows I have watched EVER. Will rewatch after some time.

Meanwhile, catching up on some Hindi series -
Criminal justice on Hotstar - 7/10. - raw, gritty but could have been better. The jail episodes I think were stretched unnecessarily and became monotonous after some time.

Bandish Bandits on Prime - 9/10 - great show and such a refreshing change to see a show based on classical music. Amazing music by Shankar Ehsaan Loy and performances by Naseeruddin, Atul and the lead male actor. The lead actress was annoying though. I have been hooked to the amazing music album since then. Looking forward to the next season.

Breathe Season 2 - 5/10 - it started well but ended up as a disaster. Season 1 was so much better.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 09:00   #3307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here is a strong recommendation for one of my all-time favourite shows - Home Improvement. Old series from the 90s, but will have you warm + happy whenever you watch it. It's about this alpha-male personality Tim Taylor, his home improvement show and family life. Lots of guy stuff, tools, cars & comedy. Recently bought the series on Amazon.com and am watching it again.

5 / 5 stars!

Daily Motion has the pilot episode to get you hooked.
I used to watch this in the early Star TV days. Used to always wonder, why his neighbour's face is always hidden. Was amusing to me

Meanwhile, I have finished watching the Office- US series. The first season with 5 episodes was a drag. I even started wondering what the hype as all about and was about to leave it halfway. But persisted watching the second season and things improved from there. The show and the characters grow on you, especially the Boss. You just need to be patient. After Steve Carell leaves the show, it really wasn't as interesting as the earlier seasons. Similar to when Charlie Sheen left Two and a half men.

Now started watching Seinfeld. Am on a run to see light hearted comedy and feel good shows. I completed Modern Family, Schitt's Creek, HIMYM and now Office since the lockdown started.
Nothing matches FRIENDS though. That is an all time favourite and I have probably seen the entire series over 10 times and it still does not get boring.

Last edited by hrman : 26th September 2020 at 09:20.
hrman is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 09:25   #3308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here is a strong recommendation for one of my all-time favourite shows - Home Improvement.
Absolutely love this show and its clean comedy!
Maverick5490 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 11:02   #3309
Team-BHP Support

Ashram on the free https://www.mxplayer.in/

I saw a review of this on:

This got me interested and I literally binge watched the show.

Its has very good screenplay and has an interesting story line.
Not a family entertainer as the subject is extremely disturbing and morbid.

The acting by most of the extras leaves a lot to be desired. Its just the story line that stands out as a hero.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 14:24   #3310
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Watched both the seasons of 'Breathe' on Amazon Prime. Season 1 featuring Madhavan was pretty good. It was short & taut without the storyline dragging. As far as Season 2 is concerned, inspite of the suspense being broken well before the halfway stage of the season, it was still watchable. Perhaps the makers could have trimmed a few episodes. Good performances by Abhishek Bachchan, Amit Sadh & rest of the cast.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 23:56   #3311
Distinguished - BHPian

Discovered that the whole HBO originals library is on Hotstar. Some days back it was SUCCESSION and this weekend binged watched the critical CHERNOBYL. An absolute delight and justifies every award it has got till date. A masterpiece in every sense and should be watched to know little known facts about one of the biggest chemical disasters ever.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 13:22   #3312
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Watched both seasons of 'Jack Ryan' on Amazon Prime. Its an Action Thriller with the central character being a CIA Analyst. Its a pretty good watch. Story moves at a brisk pace. Both seasons are good though Season 1 is slightly better than Season 2.

Also saw 'Panchayat' on Prime. A really good light hearted series set in a village. Such shows feel so much better after watching dark crime dramas!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 13:35   #3313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Bandish Bandits on Prime - 9/10 - great show and such a refreshing change to see a show based on classical music. Amazing music by Shankar Ehsaan Loy and performances by Naseeruddin, Atul and the lead male actor. The lead actress was annoying though. I have been hooked to the amazing music album since then. Looking forward to the next season.
Wow! Completely agree with the review. I was wondering that how many will watch a series like Bandish Bandits as it's based on pure Indian classical music. But glad to read that I am not the rare species. I absolutely loved the series, except the lead actress. Songs are mind blowing with "Garaj Garaj..." Jugalbandi as the peak of the album.
Mohammad Amaan, who sang Garaj Garaj jugalbandi, was a finalist in Zee SaReGaMaPa a few years ago and Shankar Mahadevan was Amaan's mentor during that competition. Shankar was thoroughly impressed by Amaan's voice that time and had promised him an assignment and Bandish Bandits is Amaan's first commercial assignment.
I am also waiting for season 2. Hoping that the female character returns and we get to listen more classical songs, and more so in female voice in season 2.
I enjoyed the show a lot, because before this show, I had watched Patallok which is hard hitting, gruesome, violent crime series. So Bandish Bandits brought that refreshing feeling and positive vibes.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 14:17   #3314
BHPian

Just saw that Fargo Season 4 is available on Prime video.
Old 4th October 2020, 15:06   #3315
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Just saw that Fargo Season 4 is available on Prime video.
There's 1 episode out every week I think, not sure the of the total number of episodes. Will watch them once they're all out. Had loved the first 2 seasons.

Most Viewed