Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2021, 17:09   #3601
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Watched 'The Good Wife' on Amazon Prime. Its a family/legal drama based on the Florrick family. Brilliant characters, plot development & also deals with politics. I really enjoyed watching this show,all 7 seasons of it. Perhaps last 2 seasons weren't as great as the earlier 5. Took me 2 months to finish as each season has 22 episodes.

Also saw 'The Good Fight'. Its a kind of a spinoff or a sequel to the above with some characters continuing in this series. Overall its a decent show though I felt its not as good as 'The Good Wife'.

'The Looming Tower' on Amazon Prime. Deals with the rivalry between CIA & FBI leading upto 9/11. An above average show, its not as gripping & the plot development could have been a lot tighter.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 11:34   #3602

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Watched 'The Good Wife' on Amazon Prime. Perhaps last 2 seasons weren't as great as the earlier 5.
Agree. The show dipped a bit after a cataclysmic event midway through season 5. And the exit of a key character at the end of season 6 didn't help either. Watchable nevertheless, except S6E13 of course.
udaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 11:57   #3603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Folks, where and how can I watch all old Top Gear seasons ?
Amazon prime doesn't have it, Discovery+ has some seasons I guess but not all 23. I've watched all the Youtube videos of the trio, want to watch the whole episodes.
Some time ago while surfing TV channels, I saw and ad on Colors Infinity about Top Gear Season 27 as "Coming Soon"

I guess first episode was aired last night.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-top.jpg  

Old 20th April 2021, 12:11   #3604
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Watched 'The Good Wife' on Amazon Prime. Its a family/legal drama based on the Florrick family. Brilliant characters, plot development & also deals with politics. I really enjoyed watching this show,all 7 seasons of it. Perhaps last 2 seasons weren't as great as the earlier 5. Took me 2 months to finish as each season has 22 episodes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by udaji View Post
Watchable nevertheless, except S6E13 of course.
Thanks a ton for the recommendations! No outings right now, so was looking for a good show for the post-dinner times. Loved it! I'm generally a big fan of dramas, especially business, legal & crime ones. This one is A+. The lead character really knows how to act. I also like how every episode has a new legal case (similar to Suits & How to get away with murder). If you haven't already, do watch "How to get away with murder". The initial lot of seasons are damn good. The later ones are avoidable.
Old 20th April 2021, 16:59   #3605
Senior - BHPian

Which one is this? I saw Season 27 in 2019 itself. The first episode was 'Ethiopia' as I remember. Losing track now
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Some time ago while surfing TV channels, I saw and ad on Colors Infinity about Top Gear Season 27 as "Coming Soon". I guess first episode was aired last night.
Old 20th April 2021, 17:23   #3606
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks a ton for the recommendations! No outings right now, so was looking for a good show for the post-dinner times. Loved it! I'm generally a big fan of dramas, especially business, legal & crime ones. This one is A+. The lead character really knows how to act. I also like how every episode has a new legal case (similar to Suits & How to get away with murder). If you haven't already, do watch "How to get away with murder". The initial lot of seasons are damn good. The later ones are avoidable.
Good wife is a class apart, in my eyes. I absolutely adore Alicia's character. Once you are done, do give a shot to good fight. After that, if you want a little serious types legal drama, watch Damages on Sony Liv. That ought to take care of all good legal dramas available. And then your life will be empty.....
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 11:09   #3607
BHPian

Finished watching The Serpent. I found it very intriguing and special mention to the cinematography. 1970's and 80's has been captured brilliantly. It is a good watch for people interested in real life crime dramas.

My rating 4.5/5

ShankarG is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 13:15   #3608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankarG View Post
Finished watching The Serpent. I found it very intriguing and special mention to the cinematography. 1970's and 80's has been captured brilliantly. It is a good watch for people interested in real life crime dramas.

My rating 4.5/5

No offence to your rating, I actually dropped off this series after 3 episodes. It was made well, but somehow lacked depth. The lead actor was actually quite dull, he lacked the depth to pull off such a known real life character.
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 13:28   #3609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would recommend watch 'The Good Place' on Netflix. Amazing show which gives plenty of food for thought and one of the few series whose ending in not disappointing (such as Game of thrones).
Mountainman21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 21:53   #3610
Senior - BHPian

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Some one here had recommended CB strike on Hot star, not able to circle back to which member had suggested this, but thanks a ton for the recommendation!

CB strike is available on Hotstar and is a detective series set in London. The lead actors bring a lot of depth to their characters.

As a series, what I found refreshing was the lack of gore and adult content that we have been so accustomed to in most Netflix series. And each case that these lead detectives solve is only across 3-4 episodes, so very easy to watch as well. I never get the concept of 70-100 episodes, except Narcos and Fauda I dont think I have watched such a high number of episodes in a series ever.

Another recommendation from my end is the 2 seasons of American crime story on Netflix. One is about the OJ Simpson case and even though most of us heard or read about this, the series is just superb! And the second season of American crime story is about the death of the famed designer Versace. A lot of adult content in this season, but very intriguing and very well paced. Both of these seasons are just around 10 episodes each so again can be watched over a weekend.
Old 21st April 2021, 22:42   #3611
Team-BHP Support

Just wrapped up Scam 1992. My goodness, what an amazing serial! I was completely bajaoed by the direction and portrayal of Harshad Mehta by Pratik Gandhi. I did not even binge this and no, I do not deal in stocks and yet, it got me hooked. Used to eagerly reach home and turn on the TV to catch the next episode! Will give this a 4.5/5. I loved it more than Mirzapur, The Family Man and Sacred Games.

Unfortunately, there are so many of these scams and scandals on which a 10-episode short and sweet series could be made which would be interesting and could captivate the audience. Especially if theatre artists are enrolled.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 22:48   #3612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Just wrapped up Scam 1992. My goodness, what an amazing serial! I was completely bajaoed by the direction and portrayal of Harshad Mehta by Pratik Gandhi. I did not even binge this.
This is one amazing series and I really liked the Intro music too - it is just so memorable.
In comparison, the newly released "Big Bull" on Hotstar starring Abhishek bachchan is very pale in. Goes to show that even small budget series with simple actors and great direction can perform much better than big actor series.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 23:58   #3613
Senior - BHPian

Good Wife is quite good and supporting actors do a good job.

Damages is a good one but the best legal show I have seen is The Practice. Do watch it if you haven't.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 00:54   #3614
BHPian

As somebody who likes traveling and good food, strongly recommend - Somebody feed Phil on Netflix. The presenter Phil Rosenthal always puts a smile on my face, the perfect antidote for the gloomy times we live in. Each episode is based in a new city and beautifully showcases the food culture and the people behind that culture. He Skype calls his octogenarian parents at the end of every episode and has a nice family banter - again, leaves you with a warm fuzzy feeling.

Other notable mention - Chefs Table - sometimes gets too chefy, every episode is based on the story of a great Michelin star chef generally. The series starts with a modern day legend - Bottura and its difficult to stop after that. You also brim with pride pride when our Indian star Gaggan Anand's story is chronicled.
smukherjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 01:02   #3615
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Intro music too - it is just so memorable.
I hope you didn't miss the song at the end.

Eddy is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed