Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2021, 16:25   #3811
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Started watching the haunting of hill house (7 eps down). Good acting but more of a family drama with a little bit of horror thrown in. Feels very depressing and bleak at times but wife insists we finish the series.

3/5
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 20:39   #3812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
Started Watching Grahan couple of days back and I was spellbound with the way entire series progressed.

Inspired by Satya Vyas' novel "Chaurasi", based on a sensitive subject of Anti Sikh riots, and the flow of emotions overwhelmed me. I dont remember when was the last time I felt so emotional after watching a Film or a series.

Pawan Malhotra is an outstanding actor (very underrated I must say). I have been watching him since his early days from 'Nukkad' and 'Salim Langde pe mat ro'. Zoya Hussain does well in the role of investigating officer. Anshuman Pushkar who is relatively new in the industry does a very good job.

The story takes you back and forth (80s to present) and apart from a few glitches in terms of logic it keeps you hooked.

I would rate it 4/5 and its a good one time watch.
Thankyou. I'm the editor of the series.
Shanmd is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 20:51   #3813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
Wow glad to know. Congratulations on a job well done.
KD007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 21:20   #3814
BHPian

Just finished Person of Interest. It was beautiful and thanks for recommending it. I'd rate it 4.5/5. Some shows that I'd recommend are
1. Fargo available on both Netflix and Amazon. Also the series is finished and no more season will come so it's a complete watch.

2 Into the Night a new series available on Netflix with season 2 confirmed.

3Fauda series is probably finished. Great acting all around and worth a watch

Last edited by Carpainter : 30th June 2021 at 21:21.
Carpainter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 21:45   #3815
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Started Watching Grahan couple of days back and I was spellbound with the way entire series progressed.

I would rate it 4/5 and its a good one time watch.
Just saw the trailer and it looks amazing. Will definitely catch it. Pawan Malhotra is outstanding I agree. Love the range of his work - he was particularly brilliant in Bhang Milkha Bhaag.

Just read that one of the songs is by Varun Grover. Again, a big fan of his talent as well as his outspokenness and general conviction.

Quote:
Congratulations on what seems like an excellent production. Will definitely catch it over a weekend or something.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 23:22   #3816
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Pawan Malhotra is an outstanding actor (very underrated I must say). I have been watching him since his early days from 'Nukkad' and 'Salim Langde pe mat ro
Since you mentioned Pawan Malhotra, I must tell you about his best performance till date is in the movie Bagh Bahadur. It’s in Bangla but I am sure it can be watched with sub titles provided only if you have not watched it already !!

Quote:
Thanks for mentioning here and congratulations on a very tautly made show. Your’s is the only name apart from Mukesh Chaabra that we get to see after every episode. It’s about time that the streaming platforms show some respect to the technicians as well
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 23:41   #3817
BHPian

Quote:
Don't know if this comes under your work but sorry i have to mention this. I started watching it yesterday and i found the music too loud and the dialogue volume too low. At first i thought it was my soundbar but the issue remained even with the tv speakers. I was constantly increasing volume when there was dialogue as the music made it difficult to hear properly. I actually had to turn on English subtitles to clarify some of dialogue. Have only watched 3 eps till now and it seemed to be better in latter episodes but the whole of 1st episode suffered from this. Rest of the editing is great though
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 07:13   #3818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Since you mentioned Pawan Malhotra, I must tell you about his best performance till date is in the movie Bagh Bahadur. It’s in Bangla but I am sure it can be watched with sub titles provided only if you have not watched it already !!

Thanks for mentioning here and congratulations on a very tautly made show. Your’s is the only name apart from Mukesh Chaabra that we get to see after every episode. It’s about time that the streaming platforms show some respect to the technicians as well
This is something that is being discussed actively for a while now. The data with OTTs show that subscribers click on the 'next episode' option as soon as the current one ends. Hence they automated it. Even in theatres, people (would) get up from their seats the minute end-titles begin.
There would be some aficionados who would remain seated, but in B & C centers, the projector would be switched off. Actually, the history of this habit is from trying to save the arc-lamp in the old projectors.. increase the combustion rod's lifespan in a third-world country. https://edisontechcenter.org/ArcLamps.html
Marvel is the only studio that found an interesting way to keep people seated.

Thanks for the gracious compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Don't know if this comes under your work but sorry i have to mention this. I started watching it yesterday and i found the music too loud and the dialogue volume too low. At first i thought it was my soundbar but the issue remained even with the tv speakers. I was constantly increasing volume when there was dialogue as the music made it difficult to hear properly. I actually had to turn on English subtitles to clarify some of dialogue. Have only watched 3 eps till now and it seemed to be better in latter episodes but the whole of 1st episode suffered from this. Rest of the editing is great though
There is a QC list given by every OTT provider to the makers. That list varies but it contains in detail the tech requirements for pretty much everything.. color space, signal ratios, audio signals, audio mixs, etc. I'm using the technical terms here.. essentially the way it looks and the way you hear it. The whole world of old to new TV sets and laptops and speakers and headphones are taken into consideration when this list is set. A Netflix QC list will have common points as well as differ from a Disney QC list.

Even at a theatre (yes, in that era), it is very unlikely that you got to see the exact way the makers wanted you to experience the film. There are very few theatres in this country that have excellent aural as well as projection systems.. on the same screen. Now, these issues are specific to those who make it and the ones who know what goes into making it. Having said that, there is always a sweet spot in every theatre. That section of some 10-20 seats is where it'll sound/view the best in that particular hall. Most people won't care once the film begins.

I'd say.. the factors that make one understand the difference between a set of Goodyear tyres and a Michellin, and prefer one over the other. A specific engine vs another. A set of shock bushes ve another. A mod vs another vs stock. Some won't care so long as they get to stomp on the pedal at the closest expressway. I mean, till two odd decades ago, everyone was happy with 'stereo' sound in a theatre.
Now we have Atmos, and the mix for that is different from that done for a telecast on a TV channel. Both have to be done from scratch.. separately.

I'm glad you're enjoying the series, and thanks for the compliment. Sorry about the sound, but if you DM me your equipment, I can try and get you an answer for your issue.

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st July 2021 at 07:59. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Thank you!
Shanmd is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 08:16   #3819
BHPian

I finished watching Family Man 2. I liked season 2 more than season 1, but I have a gripe against unfinished storylines. I also didn't like the deus ex machina they used. I thought it could have been handled in a different way so that it was more plausible. Overall, I rate it at 3/5.

I also finished watching a series on Netflix - Love, Death + Robots. It is an adult animated show - don't watch it with children, senior parents, or anybody who would be against such shows. The format is interesting. Each episode is of variable length 5 - 18 mins. Also, the animation style is different for each episode and they are all independent stories. Loved the series. It has only 26 episodes over 2 seasons, can finish them in a few hours. I would rate it 4/5.
the_joker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 09:58   #3820
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Marvel is the only studio that found an interesting way to keep people seated.
With the mid-credits and post-credits sequence. That’s a clever way.

Shan, those were quite some insights into the industry. If time permits, please do pen down a post on what goes into the making of a serial from your perspective. Would be a good read I’m sure. All the best man!

Will watch Grahan as soon as I wrap up Person of Interest. The last 10 episodes of season 5 remains.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 11:59   #3821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
With the mid-credits and post-credits sequence. That’s a clever way.

Shan, those were quite some insights into the industry. If time permits, please do pen down a post on what goes into the making of a serial from your perspective. Would be a good read I’m sure. All the best man!

Will watch Grahan as soon as I wrap up Person of Interest. The last 10 episodes of season 5 remains.
Haha.. The most interesting stories in the making of any Series/Films always happen behind the camera. No BTS has ever come close to what actually goes in the making of something.. and I'm not referring to the salacious gossips on the third page (now front) of a rag. I doubt many are interested in that.

Maybe.. the madness that's filmmaking, is closest captured onscreen in Bowfinger. It's a bit ott, but the motivations & the absolute madness are pretty true.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st July 2021 at 18:58. Reason: Rule #11. :)
Shanmd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 17:15   #3822
BHPian

Quote:
Kudos to you.
I started to watch it with hesitation and it turned out to be amongst the best in recent times. Your editing is especially crisp. Some flashbacks were too seamless with present, it was difficult for my father to understand. The cast was very apt and well performed, particularly Zoya. While the selection of some actors for some characters in the past and current was very appropriate, the hero had no resemblance in personality to the past actor. Overall, very gripping and engaging well made series.
vivek_lo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 18:28   #3823
BHPian

I am finishing up with CSI - Las Vegas season 13. This started off as a bit of a slow burn, but if you like procedural shows, then this one is good. As the seasons progress, the show begins to exhibit a bit of humor in it

The initial seasons had William Petersen as the key force behind the show. He was replaced by Lawrence Fishburne for one season and then Ted Danson. Of the 3, Ted Danson has some humor undertones while Lawrence has a bit of mystery. William though looked like a curmudgeon and the episodes of his were a bit heavy emotionally

The one good thing about this is that there is no underlying thread to each season or across seasons apart from understanding the characteristics of the protagonists. This meant that one could jump in and jump out whenever one wanted
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 19:13   #3824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_lo View Post
Overall, very gripping and engaging well made series.
Very well made series, some scenes were very painful to watch, the subject has been handled well, I was expecting some propaganda as is the case with most web series today, but this one steered clear, I am guilty of heavy use of FF in the flashbacks though, the message at the end was the best that I have seen in recent past. Highly recommended.
aspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 19:15   #3825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sad, man. Didn't like Family Man 2 at all. We forced ourselves to watch the initial 2 episodes, but lost interest thereafter and are moving on to something else.
Totally agree, the action scenes and police operations were comical at times, A person who would be at best a Team lead is being shown as a CEO, Good lord, who lets such things pass!
aspire is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks