Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2021, 17:30   #3961
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Watched Finnish cop shows over the past two weeks.
Bordertown - geeky detective was kind of average
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4937942/

The one I really liked was Deadwind
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6616260/

Both are worth watching with the latter being an excellent watch.
Deadwind was superb, surprisingly rated only 7.2 on imdb. I would rate it 8.5/10. Keeps you at the edge of your seat the whole time. Just finished season one.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-screenshot_20210927172854_imdb.png  

mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 09:15   #3962
Senior - BHPian

Watched 'Mare of Easttown'. Felt it was too slow and didn't understand the hype about Kate Winslet and her acting. Highly popular and award winning but I kind of lost interest in it halfway through. 2/5 for me.

and started watching 'Bombay Diaries'. 4 episodes down with some notable performances. Have seen a lot of poorly made Hindi serials of late and this one felt better of the lot.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 10:07   #3963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Watched 'Mare of Easttown'. Felt it was too slow and didn't understand the hype about Kate Winslet and her acting. Highly popular and award winning but I kind of lost interest in it halfway through. 2/5 for me.
Well you're in a minority then. I started watching it early on and couldn't wait for the week to pass so that a new episode would land on Disney Hotstar+

It's in the "slow burn" style and not everyone's cuppa I guess. Similar to True Detective Season 1. I for one found the treatment excellent, the performances led by veteran Winslet were of course top-class and the end was satisfying, unlike a lot of similar mysteries which the creators tend to leave open-ended.
noopster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 10:33   #3964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Well you're in a minority then. I started watching it early on and couldn't wait for the week to pass so that a new episode would land on Disney Hotstar+

It's in the "slow burn" style and not everyone's cuppa I guess. Similar to True Detective Season 1. I for one found the treatment excellent, the performances led by veteran Winslet were of course top-class and the end was satisfying, unlike a lot of similar mysteries which the creators tend to leave open-ended.
Possibly. My wife liked it. I do like slow burn serials though. True Detective S01 is excellent and 5/5 for me. Glued to it when it released and then re-watched again to wash off the bad taste left by S02. That and Mindhunter (both seasons), just sheer brilliance.
amol4184 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 12:40   #3965
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is slow and dark, but I think that adds to the charm. Things are quite confusing in the beginning but it gets its act together towards the end.
Quote:
True Detective S01 is excellent and 5/5 for me.
But it is nowhere close to True Detective S01 IMO. TD is truly a class apart.
dragonfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 12:57   #3966
BHPian

Quote:
That and Mindhunter (both seasons), just sheer brilliance.
Boy oh boy. True Detective season 1 and both seasons of Mindhunter are just different gravy. Everything is perfect from acting to music. It's a real shame Netflix cancelled Mindhunter.

True Detective should only be watched for S1 and just soak in the brilliance. I've read that S3 gives a bit more closure on S1's story but still not as good.

You can add Breaking Bad, Chernobyl, The Sopranos, Narcos (i love it), Game of Thrones (excluding last 2 seasons or maybe just the last) to this list and you'd come out thoroughly satisfied.

I've had people recommend me "The Wire" as even better than the above two but i haven't got around to watching it.
Doonite is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 13:49   #3967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
Boy oh boy. True Detective season 1 and both seasons of Mindhunter are just different gravy. Everything is perfect from acting to music. It's a real shame Netflix cancelled Mindhunter.
Netflix has that habit. I was so surprised that a show like Mindhunter was cancelled. The attention to detail and characters look-alikes to actual people is just phenomenal.

Quote:
True Detective should only be watched for S1 and just soak in the brilliance. I've read that S3 gives a bit more closure on S1's story but still not as good.
Exactly. S03 is okay. Better than S02 my a mile but can't hold candle to S01. That's how good the S01 was.

Quote:
You can add Breaking Bad, Chernobyl, The Sopranos, Narcos (i love it), Game of Thrones (excluding last 2 seasons or maybe just the last) to this list and you'd come out thoroughly satisfied.

I've had people recommend me "The Wire" as even better than the above two but i haven't got around to watching it.
People are right. Wire is on another level. If you are into that genre, you need to drop everything else and start watching it.
After multiple watches of all of the above (except Sopranos) IMHO,
Wire-GoT (S01-06)>Breaking Bad>Sopranos>Narcos.

Next up for me: re-watching Sopranos followed by Peaky Blinders whenever it drops.
amol4184 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 16:15   #3968
BANNED

You forgot about Better Call Saul.
I would put it at par or above Breaking Bad. The Terror was also quite good. Chernobyl is in its own league. HBO should make a similar one on the Bhopal Gas Tragedy.

Not sure if people remember, but there used to be a very funny British comedy series called "Mind your Language". I would recommend it.
Electromotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 19:16   #3969
BHPian

Just finished watching absolutely twisted British series Utopia. Full of quirky characters, dark humour, catchy theme music and plot twists upon plot twists. Oh, it also deals with a manufactured global pandemic, vaccinations and conspiracies - there can't be a better time to watch this show from 2013-14

Two seasons of six episodes each and is available on YouTube. There is a US version available on Prime as well, though it is not that well regarded.

Fair warning - this is show is unapologetically violent and gruesome. Also, felt that the twists came too many and the show became less believable as we get towards the end.

Here is a trailer in case anyone is interested:
IndieGooner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 20:14   #3970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
You forgot about Better Call Saul.
I would put it at par or above Breaking Bad.
Completely forgot about this master piece. I am divided about it and Breaking Bad. A little too heart breaking for me.
The episode where Saul goes to old-age home and goes on rant about his life is pure gold. IMO, it is his best performance till date. Award winning without a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGooner View Post
Just finished watching absolutely twisted British series Utopia.
There is a US version available on Prime as well, though it is not that well regarded.

Fair warning - this is show is unapologetically violent and gruesome.
I think I watched the US version because the trailer looks different. I liked the US version too! Was eagerly waiting for next season but now I know where it comes from, thanks to you. I will watch the OG now.

And yes, even the US version is gruesome. I have seen gruesome stuff earlier but I did NOT expect this series to take a dark turn out of nowhere, which, starts as a light nerdy youths story. I was not prepared.
amol4184 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 21:57   #3971
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGooner View Post
Just finished watching absolutely twisted British series Utopia. Full of quirky characters, dark humour, catchy ]
Where did you catch this? Download? Cos it's not on any streaming in India right now.
Old 30th September 2021, 22:41   #3972
Senior - BHPian

I do see it available on Prime, in India The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-20210930_223912.jpg

P. S. My bad, it's the US version not UK.

Last edited by amol4184 : 30th September 2021 at 22:46.
Old 30th September 2021, 23:31   #3973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Where did you catch this? Download? Cos it's not on any streaming in India right now.
I watched it on YouTube - just search "Utopia UK"
IndieGooner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 01:30   #3974
BHPian

Just finished Squid Game on Netflix. I'll rate it 4/5.
It is a Korean series where 456 people come together to play games. Its creepy, highly addictive, music is too indulging, intense and emotional. Quite a good watch and satisfying end. All the actors have performed brilliantly. Highly Recommended.

PS- it contains violence and blood. Avoid if you cannot watch gore.

Last edited by ShankarG : 3rd October 2021 at 01:54. Reason: Minor correction
ShankarG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 08:28   #3975
Distinguished - BHPian

I was ordering why nobody posted anything about the Squid Game..

Don't know what's the fuzz about. It's all about Squid game on the net. I found it to be ordinary. Maybe because I watched many unheard movies of this genre. Interestingly, my wife liked this.

Definitely watchable but quite a few gory scenes.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed