Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2022, 19:18   #4216
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
By the way most shows today can't be watched with Parents, including the Hindi ones as explicit language and scenes are plenty and unavoidable for viewers. It's best to view them alone.
Yes. I just thought I will mention that since none of the reviews earlier mentioned it. Like me I am sure there are many who have retreated back to their hometown with parents since the covid started and happen to watch TV together.
Shows that can be watched by everyone are definitely getting rarer. Not singling out English shows only, by mistake I started watching that Hindi show about bank fraud whose name escapes me and oh dear lord one brash tomboy lesbian character just started cussing non stop. It was terrible.
Old 14th February 2022, 19:50   #4217
Team-BHP Support

Apple TV+ has a new murder mystery set in the UK/US, Suspicion.

The three episodes out as of now seem to set up the series pretty well, with one new episode coming out every Fri. I'd recommend waiting until all are out.

4/5
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 23:28   #4218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
So true! When Peter Jackson butchered The Hobbit to make a 3-part series, book aficionadas puked a bit in their mouths.

That said, if Prime folks are following the books, Die Trying (#2) would be next.
I've read 6 Reacher books so far (#1, 2, 4, 21, 22, 23) and IMHO, Killing Floor (#1) was the best one. Fingers crossed
That indeed is the idea.
I quite liked the trio this season and it will be a shame they won't be there in the next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
I too watched Reacher last weekend and found it to be descent. Have not seen the movie or read any books about it but the main character is convincing and likeable.

About the last fighting scene and situation ( not going to explain it in detail) I thought I had seen that ( not exact but somewhat similar) in many Bollywood movies, especially 80-early 90s. Weird, I know.
I read it in an interview they were quite perplexed what to do for the fight in last episode. As stated those guys were no match to Reacher and if they stay true to him then fight will be over in a minute. So, obviously they had to dumb it down and stretch it to make for TV viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Yes. I just thought I will mention that since none of the reviews earlier mentioned it. Like me I am sure there are many who have retreated back to their hometown with parents since the covid started and happen to watch TV together.
Shows that can be watched by everyone are definitely getting rarer. Not singling out English shows only, by mistake I started watching that Hindi show about bank fraud whose name escapes me and oh dear lord one brash tomboy lesbian character just started cussing non stop. It was terrible.
I have a simple formula.
Whatever show I want to watch i first go to IMDB and with the ratings i specifically check the category of Sex and Nudity under Parents guide. That gives me a fair idea whether to watch alone or with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Apple TV+ has a new murder mystery set in the UK/US, Suspicion.

The three episodes out as of now seem to set up the series pretty well, with one new episode coming out every Fri. I'd recommend waiting until all are out.

4/5
Yes, have heard good reviews. Another Apple show I just watched is The after Party, it's good fun.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 23:32   #4219
AZT
BHPian

My brother’s watching "The Great Indian Murder" on Hotstar and from the little I keep seeing of the episodes, there's a lot of twists and turns. Some good performances and some mediocre, but definitely worth watching.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th February 2022 at 01:12. Reason: Fixed minor typo.
Old 14th February 2022, 23:45   #4220
Distinguished - BHPian

Reacher- 5/5

I'm surprised by the negative reviews of this series and can't blame them if they haven't read the books. For someone like me, who read almost (except the novels released in last 3-4 years) all his novels. This is the perfect on-screen depiction of how Jack Reacher was portrayed in novel by Lee Child.

I used to be a voracious reader and read best of non-fictional writers like Ludlum, Grisham, Archer etc. but, Lee Child is the only writer I always think of buying/investing into his entire collection (Other collection I have is 60+ books of James Hadley Chase). Maybe, I will do that one of these days.

Whenever I do that, it will be paperback and not digital.

Coming back to series, Reacher was always portrayed as a larger than life MP and how he goes about getting into trouble because of his rather abnormal personality and drifter lifestyle. Action sequences in particular is exactly how it was in novel. When Reacher hits someone, they stay hit (That's what army teaches you apart from not to hesitate to throw the first punch).

Writing, Direction, Action, Locales etc are perfectly portrayed and felt like reading the novel.

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher was a joke and finally, we got the real deal. There is so much potential to convert each novel into a series and give us hardcore fans a treat for next few years.
mobike008 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 03:35   #4221
BHPian

I was forced to watch Reacher after so much hype. In my opinion Tom cruise was better and brilliant in the movie than the new series. Maybe it's a cruise bias from the early days of his movies. I also loved his performance in critically panned movie cocktail, so its a strong bias but what young impressionable mind didn't loved his role as flamboyant Brian flanagan. When this new series came out, too many critics blatantly mocked Tom for his height. Guardian reviewer literally called him a tiny effeminate man. Tom has reached the zenith of stardom but few have always mocked him for something he has no control over.

Over to the much hyped actor of the series, the guy can act a bit but can not emote. He is well built for the role and that is it. There are many good actors who fulfill the physical aspect of reacher while being good actors and have charm to their face like Alexander Skarsgard, Joel Kinman, Chris Hemsworth, Hugh wolverine Jackman, Henry Cavill. Character development has taken a back seat which puts too much focus on the lead actor. Had to watch 2 episodes of yesteryears Burn Notice to tone down the reacher drama.
Sran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 04:41   #4222
Team-BHP Support

We too watched Reacher over the weekend and quite enjoyed it. The camaraderie among the lead cast was great. Not having read the books, or being too into the movie helped us watch it with a fresh set of eyes and no expectations.

Looking forward to the next series.
Old 15th February 2022, 11:20   #4223
BHPian

My recommendations for the different genres:

1. Gifted (Hotstar): Excellent movie about a prodigal girl
2. Manhunt - Unabomber (Netflix): Very well done miniseries on the reclusive Unabomber and how the person was finally caught.
3. The Chestnut Man (Netflix): Excellent Danish miniseries with lots of twists and turns.
Old 15th February 2022, 11:23   #4224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
I was forced to watch Reacher after so much hype. In my opinion Tom cruise was better and brilliant in the movie than the new series. Maybe it's a cruise bias from the early days of his movies. I also loved his performance in critically panned movie cocktail, so its a strong bias but what young impressionable mind didn't loved his role as flamboyant Brian flanagan. When this new series came out, too many critics blatantly mocked Tom for his height. Guardian reviewer literally called him a tiny effeminate man. Tom has reached the zenith of stardom but few have always mocked him for something he has no control over.

Over to the much hyped actor of the series, the guy can act a bit but can not emote. He is well built for the role and that is it. There are many good actors who fulfill the physical aspect of reacher while being good actors and have charm to their face like Alexander Skarsgard, Joel Kinman, Chris Hemsworth, Hugh wolverine Jackman, Henry Cavill. Character development has taken a back seat which puts too much focus on the lead actor. Had to watch 2 episodes of yesteryears Burn Notice to tone down the reacher drama.
They were not mocking Cruise for his height or lack of if, they were comparing his actual height to the character's height and physique in the book. It is not a trivial matter as the book very heavily emphasizes this.

Those two movies without the reference to Reacher would have been good movies as such.

And good luck getting jackman, cavill, hemsworth for a multi season tv series

And Reacher hardly emotes. He is a strange strange man.

Me? I'm a Maverick fan
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 11:47   #4225
BHPian

I have not read any of Jack Reacher novels and do no intend to do so in the future too. But from whatever description of the character I have read in the last few posts, he seems to be a superhero (Hulk?) without a rivaling supervillian. Now that would make the prospects a bit meh from dramatic conflict point of view, isn't it?
I thoroughly enjoyed the Tom Cruise Jack Reacher movie few years back and was thinking of watching the Reacher series now. But from what I have read in this thread, I will probably give it a pass.
Old 15th February 2022, 12:54   #4226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
I have not read any of Jack Reacher novels and do no intend to do so in the future too. But from whatever description of the character I have read in the last few posts, he seems to be a superhero (Hulk?) without a rivaling supervillian. Now that would make the prospects a bit meh from dramatic conflict point of view, isn't it?
I thoroughly enjoyed the Tom Cruise Jack Reacher movie few years back and was thinking of watching the Reacher series now. But from what I have read in this thread, I will probably give it a pass.
Try out the pilot episode and decide for yourself. Internet reviews are hardly worth anything as what one likes another may not and vice versa.

Don't let a few words by random strangers ruin a possible great series for you

Like i said earlier, his books are meant for light reading. No saving the world stuff, just him poking his nose into small issues in random small towns and moving on to the next town.

Edit:

After a long time, just got around to watching Jack Ryan on Prime. Had it's moments but didn't care for Krasinski's portrayal all that much. Was still a good watch though.
3/5 for me.

Last edited by deathwalkr : 15th February 2022 at 12:56.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 04:23   #4227
Team-BHP Support

Just finished binging on Reacher. The fact that I am writing this post at this hour means that I obviously enjoyed the show.

I generally am not a fan of all-out action series like this, but I liked Reacher. Will wait for S2.

Reacher = 4 stars
Eddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 19:00   #4228
Senior - BHPian

All of us will die (Korean)- Netflix

Man these Koreans know how to make Zombie themed movies/series!!

Really well made. Must watch if you like either Zombie themes or Korean dramas.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 19:06   #4229
Team-BHP Support

I haven’t read the Reacher novels but have seen the Tom cruise movies.
I really liked the series and would definitely like to see a second season if they release one. Its easy watching and entertainment and I quite liked the characters, specially Reacher himself.

Overall I’d give it a 4 on 5.

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th February 2022 at 19:08.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 11:31   #4230
BHPian

In case anyone wants to watch an interesting documentary, do check out "Downfall: The case against Boeing" on Netflix. This is about 90 minutes long and shows the investigation behind the two tragic plane crashes involving Boeing's 737 Max model.

In case you watch it and have more time, please feel free to go through this Team Bhp thread which was created for discussing this crash - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...s-jakarta.html (Lion Air Boeing 737 MAX crashes in Jakarta)

Last edited by Saanil : 23rd February 2022 at 11:40.
Saanil is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed