Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:50   #4261
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

So started watching another show which is quite interesting. Pam & Tommy on HotStar. Will give it a 4 / 5 star rating and am watching it as a filler until something else gets me addicted. Total adult material, so you cannot watch it with your parents or children. Just your better half. Lots of foul language & nudity (how the hell do these online shows get past the censor board???).

I like it because it's based on a true story and the performances are pretty good. Sebastian Stan really does behave like a rock star, while Lily James will have you fooled...she's just like Pamela.

GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:50   #4262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So started watching another show which is quite interesting. Pam & Tommy on HotStar. Will give it a 4 / 5 star rating...

I like it because it's based on a true story and the performances are pretty good. Sebastian Stan really does behave like a rock star, while Lily James will have you fooled...she's just like Pamela.
Interesting. Wouldn't have thought that the lives of them together would warrant a TV series but hey what do i know

And censorship laws don't apply to OTT i thought? But i guess that's just a matter of time. During early days of cable TV there was no censorship as well, just a big red age rating warning before the movie started.
deathwalkr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 13:05   #4263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Interesting. Wouldn't have thought that the lives of them together would warrant a TV series but hey what do i know

And censorship laws don't apply to OTT i thought?
Same here, didn't think there was enough to make a TV show about that!

About 'non-family content'- I mean a show about a couple whose main claim to fame (as a couple) was a sex tape, what else would one expect?!

About censorship, the ratings and content are clearly displayed on each show, it's up to us to decide which family members we think the show will be appropriate to watch with. Don't think any more censorship is required. But am sure it's only a matter of time before the censors get involved to "save our morality/values"! (Not sure OTT censorship makes sense anymore in these days of high speed mobile Internet and several personal devices!)

Last edited by am1m : 3rd March 2022 at 13:08.
am1m is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 16:17   #4264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Tommy Lee is an excellent musician and part of the super successful hard rock band Motley Crue that peaked in the '90s. Pamela Anderson was at one time an absolute sensation as Baywatch girl, Playboy pin-up icon and later the face of PETA.

Am not saying any of these achievements is a Nobel Prize for achieving world peace but please let's not dismiss them as talentless hacks like the Kardashians, whose sole claim to being famous is that they are famous!

@GTO- will watch this. You may want to watch The Dirt- a biopic of Motley Crue (Tommy Lee's band) since I imagine there is a fair amount of overlap.
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 16:23   #4265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
...but please let's not dismiss them as talentless hacks..
Absolutely not. Which is why I was careful to specify "the sole claim to fame (as a couple)..." Was only surprised their relationship had enough to go on to make a TV series. I didn't mean individually. That I guess there is enough for an individual biography, movie/TV series each.

Last edited by am1m : 3rd March 2022 at 16:28.
am1m is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 21:17   #4266
BHPian

Quote:
About censorship, the ratings and content are clearly displayed on each show, it's up to us to decide which family members we think the show will be appropriate to watch with. Don't think any more censorship is required. But am sure it's only a matter of time before the censors get involved to "save our morality/values"! (Not sure OTT censorship makes sense anymore in these days of high speed mobile Internet and several personal devices!)
This is how it should be and not the so called censor board and its righteous folks moral preaching viewers. With OTT it has become more open now. The last few shows I watched had foul language and nudity. The Wire - is one of its kind and in Season 1, you have an entire minute of dialogue made up of just 4 letter foul word. It dint sound crass at all, but the detectives used it to solve a murder !!! And there were quite a bit of nude scenes. But the show itself was top notch. This was on Disney Hotstar under HBO shows. I thought Amazon Prime was sedate, but Reacher did throw up some scenes.

Hopefully, our viewership experiences will not be violated by the little bleeps or else we might just end up hearing only bleeps with little words in between
subraiyr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 00:03   #4267
BHPian

Back in 2003, when the first 3G network in the UK was launched, if you have a credit card, it was assumed you are 18+ and could get paid access to adult content.

We are far more advanced in that aspect today, every OTT platform needs you to sign up/register through any of your email or social media accounts.
Based on that data + IP address of the device, you are classified for their content. This much is adequate for the OTT companies to shift the onus of responsibility on the viewer.
neofromcapone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 08:46   #4268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Hopefully, our viewership experiences will not be violated by the little bleeps or else we might just end up hearing only bleeps with little words in between
Absolutely! Have you watched normal cable TV recently, it's gotten so strict that they even have to edit out perfectly normal, anatomical words such as 'breasts'. Like hearing the word 'breast' on TV is going to "corrupt our youth"

Granted there is no need for gratuitous sex and violence that has no place in the plot. But I think it is the role of parents and guardians to ensure that their wards aren't exposed to those, not the government's.
am1m is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 08:53   #4269
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Quote:
The main story is around the leak of their privately-shot adult video / honeymoon tape, which I guess was a big deal. But the show has really portrayed their lifestyle well too.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 18:41   #4270
Senior - BHPian

Watched ‘Reacher’ on amazon prime. Looking at imdb rating had high hopes but ended up underwhelmed. Liked the Finlay character more than Reacher. Never the less as I need something to watch every night during dinner (post work) , this was fair enough.

Rating:3/5
Old 6th March 2022, 06:44   #4271
Senior - BHPian

Reacher: Amazon Prime

A lot has already been said, so no detailed review. Overall, I liked the show. Never watched the movies or read the books, so no vantage point to compare. But as a standalone series, quite worth the watch.
Old 7th March 2022, 12:11   #4272
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So started watching another show which is quite interesting. Pam & Tommy on HotStar. Will give it a 4 / 5 star rating and am watching it as a filler until something else gets me addicted. Total adult material, so you cannot watch it with your parents or children. Just your better half. Lots of foul language & nudity (how the hell do these online shows get past the censor board???).
Changing my rating to 5 / 5 stars. It really gets you engrossed as the story progresses and the performances are brilliant. The distress in Pamela's mind post video becoming public, Tommy as the rockstar and my favourite dude, Seth Rogen. I love this guy!

He has so many fans, there's actually a Seth Rogen laughter compilation video with over 2 million views

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
"Inventing Anna" on Netflix, based on a true story, is quite an interesting watch. Binged on it through the weekend (it's just 1 season with 9 approximately-hour-long episodes).
Didn't like the show, but incredible story. Here's an old + superb article from Vanity Fair on Anna. You should read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Madhuri Dixit (like her character in the shows) is practically holding up the entire season on her own.
Junk show. Hated it. Stopped watching it soon enough to save my time.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 15:58   #4273
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Watched The Wire on Hotstar. Took me a long time to finish the entire 5 seasons. The show deals with Baltimore city & its shown through the perspective of law enforcement and drug dealers. It has a lot of interesting characters along with various side stories. I wouldn't exactly call it a gripping fast pace show but its one hell of a show! Great acting, even better direction, don't miss this show if you have the time.

Last edited by PPS : 7th March 2022 at 15:59.
PPS is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 19:42   #4274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Watched The Wire on Hotstar. don't miss this show if you have the time.
In my opinion, its one of the shows for which you should make time and watch..one of the best shows ever made, hands down.

In other news, watched the Fame Game. I share the general sentiment here. Its one show which you should NOT watch if you have free time even if you are a Madhuri fan. The director/writer has put every imaginable masala in today's woke times and still comes out bland in the end.

Last edited by amol4184 : 7th March 2022 at 19:50.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 22:05   #4275
Distinguished - BHPian

Andekhi 2 SonyLiv

After the brilliant season 1, Undekhi 2 just about manages to match up. The sequel, if one may call it, is tangled little bit with some imaginative screenplay but somehow feels too rushed for my liking. Nevertheless, good watch with good performances.

Rating: 3/5

Rudra Disney Hotstar

Ajay Devgan forays into the OTT space and makes a good entry. Consisting of 6 episodes and each consisting of separate murder mystery’s, it’s the opening episode which is a bummer and the protagonist of episode one carries through to the end of series which is baffling. Performances are good and all are watchable except may be Esha Deol. Some stories are too simplistic in nature . Maker’s could have remade Byomkesh Bakshi stories and they would made bigger impact !!

Rating: 2.5/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks