Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2022, 14:29   #4471
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Watched Succession on Hotstar. Once you give it some time initially, you'll start liking the show if you're into business dramas. Be it the screenplay, character & its twists, a few moments blow you away. After having seen 3 seasons, I feel they should put an end to it rather than stretching it forever.

Also saw Escaype Live on Hotstar. Interesting storyline about people's obsession with social media apps like Instagram,etc. Its a decent watch, wish it was a bit tighter & shorter by about 2 episodes.

Barry on Hotstar is about a hitman who becomes fascinated with the theatre scene in LA. I enjoyed it in parts but its a must watch for fans of dark comedy. The theatre scenes can get a bit repetitive. There's a really funny episode somewhere in Season 2 & it really picks up pace in Season 3. Decent watch overall.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 12:33   #4472
Senior - BHPian

The Terminal list

I had low expectations considering the story premise isn't a new one. But, they have done a very good job. Production values are solid and Chris Pratt has delivered the best performance of his career. Only wish Taylor Kitsch had gotten more screen time. Such an underrated actor. Nice thriller.

Rating - 8/10
Attached Thumbnails
The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-screenshot_20220703123046_imdb.jpg  

harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 10:03   #4473
BHPian

Watched Under the Banner of Heaven on Hotstar. A well made series which explores the dark side of Mormonism (Latter day saints church). Backdrop is a double murder investigation (apparently a true story).

Told in 3 timelines - the present (investigation), the past (events leading to the murders) and the history (the Mormon founder and his death). The part that is the history, although not a lot, may be a bit boring, especially if you are not interested in knowing about Mormonism. I was fairly interested, yet boredom took me over sometimes. The events leading to the murders are a painful watch, and I did skip about 10 mins when the actual deed was being committed. The present timeline is what keeps you engaged - the investigator being a Mormon is fighting his own battle to keep his faith, while doing justice to his job.

Its not really a whodunnit - cos its pretty clear early on about which direction the investigation is headed. Its not a casual watch, and the story demands that you invest yourselves in it; and when you do, this series is highly rewarding.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 10:17   #4474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Been hooked onto "The Walking dead" series ever since I got Netflix last month.
My Netflix gets over today. I have become a fan of the series. The last 2-3seasons were a bit slow but it takes off at season 10. Season 11 seems to be not available yet on the streaming site.

Been zombified by the series I have also started "Fear the walking dead" on Amazon. The 1st two seasons were a bit slow but things get interesting in season 3. Currently on the 4th season.

After watching the "TWD" (The walking dead) series I have now started to call pests/rats or anyone that annoys me as "Walkers". I am sure "TWD" fans will know what I am talking about when I proudly say after completing the series "I am Negan" .
Old 4th July 2022, 10:44   #4475
Distinguished - BHPian

Stranger Things (Season 4): 3 / 5

Meh.

That was my feeling after the marathon 2.5H last episode. Basically Netflix's marketing team oversold the last two episodes so what you get isn't the wow-ness that the teasers/trailers & numerous "rumors" kind of indicated. Kind of feels like a saas-bahu serials saga that gets dragged on just to setup the basis for a more glamorous season 5.

I'll let others make their own opinions of the last two episodes of season 4 - but my advice? Keep your expectations low. And thus you might enjoy it more than I did.
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 19:38   #4476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Meh.

That was my feeling after the marathon 2.5H last episode. Basically Netflix's marketing team oversold the last two episodes so what you get isn't the wow-ness that the teasers/trailers & numerous "rumors" kind of indicated. Kind of feels like a saas-bahu serials saga that gets dragged on just to setup the basis for a more glamorous season 5.

I'll let others make their own opinions of the last two episodes of season 4 - but my advice? Keep your expectations low. And thus you might enjoy it more than I did.
Agree. I felt season 4 was the weakest season and last 2 episodes just killed it. Atleast for me.

Like you said, keep expectations low and you may like it. I was eagerly waiting and felt short changed.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 20:35   #4477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

The Boys Season 3

Still 2 episodes to go. But, episode 6th (Herogasm) is absolutely brilliant. Some of the best action choreography in a superhero tv show. Antony Starr is so menacing and terrifying as Homelander, the way he switches his facial muscles to show his emotions is a treat for an actor. And Jensen Ackles as Soldier boy was a brilliant casting. I hope he stays with the show.

FYI, do not watch this show with Family as lots of nudity and violence.
The Boys is an epic show. I generally cannot tolerate anything related to superheores, but this one is so so different. S3E6 was fabulous. But E7 was a bit of a drag at times with the flashbacks, but what an ending!!

I didn't know that this season was only 8 episodes. A long wait then, which I absolutely hate
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 21:50   #4478
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll be recommending two shows today:

Show #1: The Wire
What is it about: This is a show about Baltimore's streets, gangs, drug problems, city politics, policing and the USA's society as a whole.
Where to watch: Hotstar in India; HBO in the US
When is the story set: 1990s
Why should you watch it:
1) The storytelling and character-development are top notch
2) The depth of issues explored is tremendous. If you're one for understanding the US' failed war on drugs and how it impacts them - this show does the best job of it than any documentary ever can.
3) Some genuinely funny moments are packed into the show. For instance, there's this moment where a cop is at work, struggling with moving a cupboard at a narrow doorway. 3 other cops join him in moving it out of the room, until the 1st cop tells them he was trying to move it in all along!
4) An anecdote: Obama had watched the series fully and invited the crew & cast of the show to the White House.
5) This is the show that launched many careers - Michael B Jordan ("Creed", "Black Panther" etc.), Idris Elba, Dominic Lombardozzi etc. To keep things authentic, many of the faces in this show were picked off the street!

Show #2: We own this city
What is it about: This is a show about Baltimore Police Department's (BPD's) corrupt and rogue police units in the 2010s in real life.
Where to watch: Hotstar in India; HBO in the US
When is the story set: 2010s
Why should you watch it:
1) Jon Bernthal's acting (you've seen him shine before in "The Punisher" on Netflix and first in season 1 of "The Walking Dead")
2) As with "The Wire" above, the show is a semi-documentary, walking you through the BPD's many transgressions and how they bred a culture of mistrust between themselves and the people over the years.
3) Many of "The Wire"s crew and unforgettable actors' faces can be found again in this show; I found myself experiencing nostalgia about the good old days watching "The wire"!

Last edited by locusjag : 4th July 2022 at 21:52.
locusjag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 08:41   #4479
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Am quite enjoying this show I'm watching on HotStar = The Night Of. Story revolves around a Pakistani-American who borrows his father's taxi, takes a female passenger, ends up at her place and wakes up with her dead. He obviously becomes the prime accused in the murder. The episodes show his trials & tribulations and the legal battle.

Watch it if you like legal drama & murder stories. Don't watch it if you like it fast-paced as some episodes do get slow.

Will give it 3.8 / 5 stars. Would've been worth a 4, but it does get a bit slow & repetitive mid-way. Needed better editing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Meh.
I don't remember the last time I saw something worthwhile on Netflix. No wonder they're losing subscriptions. Wondering how a content company doesn't have explosive new content. Netflix is 90% junk & 10% goodness.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 09:28   #4480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Am quite enjoying this show I'm watching on HotStar = The Night Of. Story revolves around a Pakistani-American who borrows his father's taxi, takes a female passenger, ends up at her place and wakes up with her dead. He obviously becomes the prime accused in the murder. The episodes show his trials & tribulations and the legal battle.

Watch it if you like legal drama & murder stories. Don't watch it if you like it fast-paced as some episodes do get slow.

Will give it 3.8 / 5 stars. Would've been worth a 4, but it does get a bit slow & repetitive mid-way. Needed better editing.
The storyline seems very similar to Criminal Justice season 1. Is it the same?
Old 6th July 2022, 09:35   #4481
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not sure if I’m getting confused but I vaguely recall a VERY similar plot with Vikrant Massey being the son who drives the Uber. I think it was on Disney Hotstar but I could be wrong on the streaming app.

EDIT: Got it. Criminal Justice. With Pankaj Tripathi as the seemingly hapless but effective lawyer who defends him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crim...dian_TV_series)

Last edited by Axe77 : 6th July 2022 at 09:37.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 11:43   #4482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Agree. I felt season 4 was the weakest season and last 2 episodes just killed it. Atleast for me.

Like you said, keep expectations low and you may like it. I was eagerly waiting and felt short changed.
I actually liked the season. I really liked the first seven episodes. The last two episodes didn't live up to the hype I feel, but it was still good. Definitely better than season 2 and 3 for me. Season 1 remains the best by far.

Last edited by JonSnow : 6th July 2022 at 11:43. Reason: typos
Old 6th July 2022, 11:49   #4483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
The storyline seems very similar to Criminal Justice season 1. Is it the same?
Yes it is a licensed adaptation.
Malyaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 11:50   #4484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Don't agree. The 4th season actually renewed the interest after season 1. Its just the season finale ended up being too predictable and simply didn't live up to the level the mid-season finale.

The 2nd and 3rd seasons simply didn't have content and were living on the novelty that the first season created.
Old 6th July 2022, 13:56   #4485
Senior - BHPian

Good weekend watch 4-5 hours, if you like reality / documentary series.
I enjoyed it even though felt a bit scripted and artificial at some points.

Rating 3.5/5

Last edited by ms001 : 6th July 2022 at 13:59.
ms001 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed