Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2022, 01:03   #4666
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

Such effective, simple storytelling and the music has been masterfully selected to add to the mood and narrative. This series reminds me of old classics such as Buniyaad and Nukkad.
Nukaad reminds me of the glory days of Doordarshan. The simple ways of life were so aptly shown through the serials of those days. Ye jo hai Zindagi, Buniyaad, Circus, Lifeline, Tenalirama, Karamchand, Neev, Malgudi Days and so many more. Panchayat certainly brings simplicity back to the focus just like a Gullak did. Slice of life stories are so much relatable and enjoyable to see. I hope the success story of Panchayat and Gullak brings some more stories of every day life.

Jamtara 2 Netflix

After the stupendous success of the first season, Jamtara 2 builds on the previous season and entices the viewers to wait for the third season. As far as the second season goes, it does good to hold the interest although the storyline has loopholes. Acting is just as it was, good. The actors have less writing to deal with and I can only hope that the next season can land the solid punch that the second season misses. Those who enjoyed the first season should enjoy this one too if the expectations are kept low.

Rating: 3/5
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 01:25   #4667
BHPian

Lord of The Rings : The Rings of Power
Amazon Prime
-------

One has to remember that Amazon has rights only to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Not to the Appendixes and The Unfinished Tales.

The First Age and The Second Age are mostly lore taken from The Silmarrilion, and JRR Tolkien's notes. Amazon is still making a hash of the timelines and the writing and character development is weak and superficial. Galadriel is one dimensional and probably the weakest link.

But I'm liking it and Episode 5 was much better than the previous one, overall it's visually stunning and the Durin Elrond thing is developing well. It's well paced too considering there will be 5 seasons from what we're told.

Certainly not one for the purists. If you approach it as fan fiction and not as lore, like Dungeons and Dragons set in a Tolkien mythos, then it's bearable and sometimes enjoyable.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 28th September 2022 at 01:29.
Old 28th September 2022, 12:27   #4668
Senior - BHPian

I am amazed how most people are criticizing the Rings of Power.

It is a stunning creation with amazing visuals, outstanding special effects, soundtrack and a good story build up.

I would rate it 4/5 based on the 5 episodes released so far.

It is for sure better than most of the run-of-the-mill violent, abusive and crime web series (language aside) ,belted out one after another on various platforms. It takes you to a different world and engages you in the fantasy, something that we rarely see these days. In the chase for realistic, most makers go over the board with gory details and think that more the violence & blood more the audience.

In my opinion, we can not write off such an epic series in just 2-3 episodes. Rarely, we will get a series which starts off on a high in its first every episodes. From whatever I have watched till date, NEWSROOM's first episode just pulled everyone in with that outstanding monologue of Jeff Daniels about how America is no longer the greatest country on earth. Jeff has aced that role.

ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 21:35   #4669
BHPian

I am watching ‘the Boys’ on Amazon prime and what an amazing find it is. I downloaded the first season just so that it will help me pass time on my recent travel. But I am hooked and how!

I found the plot to be unique and quite twisted(means violence and gore). It has an IMDB rating of 8.7 as well.
abhi_tjet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 18:17   #4670
BHPian

Squid games, 5/5.

What a fantastic show, with thrills in each and every episode. A must-see.
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:17   #4671
Senior - BHPian

I am happy the Rings of Power Season 1 is done finally.
The finale was even more underwhelming, no build up, no elevation scenes, no emotional connect with the main characters. Yes, Amazon has spent huge money in creating amazing visuals but the soul is missing in the narrative, which is essential for any engaging series or movie.
It has a rating of 6.9 in IMDB, which pretty much reflects people's reaction to this series.
I watched it as I am a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings; and just to clarify I have not read the books but have watched the movies several times.
I doubt if I will watch the next season, as I have lost interest.

I will rate if 2/5 just for the visuals.
Old 2nd October 2022, 11:06   #4672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
I am watching ‘the Boys’ on Amazon prime and what an amazing find it is. I downloaded the first season just so that it will help me pass time on my recent travel. But I am hooked and how!

I found the plot to be unique and quite twisted(means violence and gore). It has an IMDB rating of 8.7 as well.
Do watch Diabolical as well. Animated spin-off from the Boys.
NG_EV is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 12:33   #4673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I am happy the Rings of Power Season 1 is done finally.
2 more episodes to come . To be honest, I felt it did get better as the series progressed and I hope season 1 ends with a bang....but probably won't.
Old 2nd October 2022, 21:17   #4674
BHPian

If this web service hasn't been posted here already:

https://www.justwatch.com/

"All your streaming services in one app."

This has app on iOS, Android, tvOS and Andriod TV propably.

Just type in the tv series/ movie and it will list all the streaming services that have this show in it.

5/5 website.
Ashutosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 21:26   #4675
BHPian

Kota Factory
Season 2
Netflix

Quote:
Like many students from across India, Vaibhav comes to Kota to prepare for JEE and NEET. Along with his friends, he navigates campus life and works hard to get into IIT.
Shot in glorious Black & White. Limited episodes.
5/5

Extraordinary Attorney Woo
Season 1
Netflix

Quote:
Woo Young Woo is a young lawyer with Asperger's syndrome. She boasts a high IQ, an impressive memory, and a wonderfully creative thought process, but she struggles with everyday interactions.
WARNING: Episodes are added regularly. Season 1 is not complete.

Set in modern-day Korea, tackling the issue of people with different abilities working in modern office cultures, politics, love, family, etc. Attorney Woo works in a high-profile Korean law firm that takes on unusual and interesting cases.

4/5
Ashutosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 14:36   #4676
BHPian

Watched IPCRESS Files in Lionsgate App Channel. It is a 1962 Cold War Spy story. Lot of intrigue, deceit and cat & mouse spy games in the plot. Superb acting, lovely direction and nice dialogues.
WAM-4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 14:40   #4677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Started watching 'Panchayat' thanks to all the recommendations on this thread, and must say a big Thank You to all who gave this series a good review! Am controlling myself from binge watching so as to save each episode for each day and not end it too quickly.

Such effective, simple storytelling and the music has been masterfully selected to add to the mood and narrative. This series reminds me of old classics such as Buniyaad and Nukkad.

And such excellent acting all around! Thank god for these new platforms that give all these new excellent actors a chance. Makes you realize what pathetic actors the majority of Bollywood and Hollywood 'stars' are and how much rubbish we have been forced to swallow to over the years when the only choice was big studios churning out their 'blockbusters'.
The final episode took it to an altogether different level!! Can't wait for the next Season of Panchayat and how they take the stroy forward considering the finale of Season 1.
WAM-4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 14:43   #4678
BHPian

Any "Mentalist" fans here?
Though they lost the plot post Season 4, it was still a very good show. Simon Baker and Robin Tunny were very good.
WAM-4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 15:48   #4679
BHPian

Just finished the 3 seasons of The Umbrella Academy (Season 4 is coming), on Netflix.

" Created for Netflix by Steve Blackman and developed by Jeremy Slater, it revolves around a dysfunctional family of adopted sibling superheroes who reunite to solve the mystery of their father's death and the threat of an imminent apocalypse."

It was a good watch, I must say. Don't go into it with a scientific approach on time travel and associated paradoxes. Somehow, they managed to keep the different seasons equally engaging and giving the lead characters enough arc to get you engaged into their adventures.

4/5 ( I am a sucker for time-travel, superhero genre).
Old 3rd October 2022, 17:11   #4680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Nukaad reminds me of the glory days of Doordarshan. The simple ways of life were so aptly shown through the serials of those days. Ye jo hai Zindagi, Buniyaad, Circus, Lifeline, Tenalirama, Karamchand, Neev, Malgudi Days and so many more....
And that reminds me of Jaspal Bhati's Flop show, the show is like R K lakshman's cartoons. The human avarice remains unchanged, although technology has changed.
whitewing is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks