Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2023, 22:17   #4756
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
Fans of Yellowstone, the 5th season is live on Amazon Prime Video.

Seasons 1-4: 4.5/5*
Came here to post about Yellowstone. Everything you said is so true. The series is like the HBO series, Succession, except that it is set in Montana and has cowboys instead of white collar executives.

I am now watching 1883, a Yellowstone origins story. It is much more dark and depressing though, but seems to paint a true picture of those times. Once I am done with this, I will start with 1923, starring Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren. Can't wait!
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 22:52   #4757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Came here to post about Yellowstone.
Compared to the previous 4 seasons, season 5 appears to be dragging a bit - scenes related to livestock could have been cut down. Beth's acerbic exchanges are getting irritating - my personal view. Looking forward to see her match in Sarah Atwood.

Apart from that, the series is amazing.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 22:58   #4758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
S3 is very entertaining and well-made. I don't immediately recall S1 and S2 to be able to compare with them, but S3 had me totally engrossed and there were no plot loopholes or anything to feel nonplussed about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

The short answer is NO.
I loved both S1 and S2 of Jack Ryan a lot, and was waiting for S3 for a long time.
Unfortunately, it turned out to be just average. I think the plot is good, but the screenplay lacks suspense, thrills, goosebumps moments.
Interesting. Totally opposite views.

Let's see how I will like it once I complete my refresher course of S2 (Currently, in Episode 4).
Old 8th January 2023, 23:39   #4759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
Fans of Yellowstone, the 5th season is live on Amazon Prime Video.

Seasons 1-4: 4.5/5*
Big fan of the show but I see it’s still not available?
Attached Thumbnails
The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-7730e1728d694badb674a97ec4916679.jpeg  

SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 14:36   #4760
BHPian

Even I am not able to watch Yellowstone 5 on Amazon
Old 9th January 2023, 15:00   #4761
BHPian

I watched the pilot episode of Yelowstone, and got kind of exhausted at the end of the very long 1.5 hours.

Well, it was kind of fine. It had everything that an average desi wants from a movie - haveli, khaandaan, ijjat, and a beta who marries outside the khaandaan and "mixing the ijjat of the khaandaan in the mitti". To the mix, there is sex, there is war, a death and a lot of horses. But even with all of these I couldn't bring myself to watch another episode.

Maybe I will try again in a few months. Currently I am hooked to Grey's Anatomy.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 20:34   #4762
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone remember the guy who used to make cringe youtube content full of curse & swear words. Turns out this guy Bhuvam Bam is a brilliant actor, like someone who's done theatre.

I watched one of his series on youtube and it was amazing, I mean the guy could actually act. And now with Taaza Khabar on hotstar he's really made a mark.

It starts off slow (relatively) and while you think its just another mediocre plot as soon as you get to episode 3 you are hooked and how!

What a series guys, absolute must watch!!
fine69 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 02:25   #4763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I watched the pilot episode of Yelowstone, and got kind of exhausted at the end of the very long 1.5 hours.

Well, it was kind of fine. It had everything that an average desi wants from a movie - haveli, khaandaan, ijjat, and a beta who marries outside the khaandaan and "mixing the ijjat of the khaandaan in the mitti". To the mix, there is sex, there is war, a death and a lot of horses. But even with all of these I couldn't bring myself to watch another episode.

Maybe I will try again in a few months. Currently I am hooked to Grey's Anatomy.

That was a nice review. Honestly, I'm also in the same boat.

Despite having a wonderful set-up at home that showcases Yellowstone's lovely cinematography and horse-hoofs thudding sounds coming from back channels and all that jazz, I lost interest after 2 episodes.

I was expecting it to keep me on tenterhooks but, It was just ok. Too much of barren land, live stock, men trying to swag in their cowboy boots and hats.

For some reason, I was hoping it would be like Ozark (Gosh, I loved this show) but, nope it didn't turn out that way.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 23:40   #4764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The short answer is NO.
I loved both S1 and S2 of Jack Ryan a lot, and was waiting for S3 for a long time.
Unfortunately, it turned out to be just average. I think the plot is good, but the screenplay lacks suspense, thrills, goosebumps moments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
S3 is very entertaining and well-made. I don't immediately recall S1 and S2 to be able to compare with them, but S3 had me totally engrossed and there were no plot loopholes or anything to feel nonplussed about.
I’m a huge fan of espionage thrillers and have gobbled down several books by many great authors on this topic and many of those books were made into movies :

Tom Clancy (movies are super successful)
John Le Carre (One of the best espionage author but,movies failed miserably)
Robert Ludlum
Fredrick Forsyth
Lee Child (Not really an espionage writer but, my most favorite author)- Jack Reacher is a huge success.

Completed Jack Ryan S3, Absolutely riveting stuff.

Out of all the 3 seasons, this storyline was the most complex and I had to rewind a few times in certain places to understand due to its fast paced nature as well as layered storyline.

I especially liked the storyline intertwining with the past to give depth and meat to it. Loved it !!

Beautiful star-cast that is one of the main reason for its success- Hire Russians to play Russians, Czechs to play Czechs. Not an American star-cast mouthing fake Russian or Czech accents.

However, what I didn’t like was fast location changes like (Rome, Italy- Never understood the relevance of this location with ongoings of entire season) to Greece to Austria to more countries in Europe (Another example: Krakow, Poland- Why show this location? Didn’t understand).

While the only relevant locations were Czech and Russia. Anyways, they might just be focusing on showing multiple locations to look like a James Bond type of production add jazz to the whole show.

Another aspect was Ryan shown as invincible fella (An analyst is better than a Navy Seal or Commando? Give me a break..lol!). It would have been more believable, if he was shown afraid, hurt, getting shot etc.

All above downsides aside, it was an excellent Season 3 and I’m already looking forward to S4 and hope the storyline is as tuat and gripping like all previous seasons.

P.S : Love the initial music with rowing in Charles River, Boston. Adds to the overall aura of the show.

A solid 4.5/5 from my end for S3.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 09:29   #4765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I’m a huge fan of espionage thrillers and have gobbled down several books by many great authors on this topic and many of those books were made into movies :
Since you are an espionage fan, you might have already watched FX's The Americans. If not, it's certainly worth a try. Unlike most other espionage tales where the protagonists are from US/UK, this one is about a couple from erstwhile USSR who are deeply embedded in USA. It's somewhat light on gun blazing action scenes but is a solid cat and mouse game. Quite a lot of focus is put on the emotional state of these characters who leads a double life hidden even from their teen aged children.

I watched it on Prime while I was in US. In India, Hotstar has the show.
IndieGooner is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 12:41   #4766
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Came here to post about Yellowstone. Everything you said is so true. The series is like the HBO series, Succession, except that it is set in Montana and has cowboys instead of white collar executives.
Thanks to all for the recommendations! Me, my sister & brother-in-law are all hooked onto Yellowstone. While I am on Season 3, my sister bingewatched her way to Season 5.

Incredible show. Will give it a full 5 / 5 stars.

On another note, I didn't enjoy Khakee - The Bihar Chapter at all.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 15:48   #4767
BHPian

The Bold Type 2017
https://www.netflix.com/in/title/80176085

Complete Seasons: 4
adult, romance, drama, office, LGBTQ, "woke" culture

A lot of efforts put in this workplace drama series.
Lovable characters. Leans heavily and openly on the left of US political spectrum.

4/5
Attached Thumbnails
The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-mv5bowiwm2q3mditzgrhnc00mzlllwfly2itzmuxymy5zjrjzduwxkeyxkfqcgdeqxvyntk0ntc1nda._v1_.jpg  

Last edited by Ashutosh : 15th January 2023 at 15:51.
Ashutosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 20:06   #4768
BHPian

Trial by Fire on Netflix

Into 2 episodes now. Very gripping post crime drama with the cast delivering an ensemble of loss, sorrow and moral grit.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 00:02   #4769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGooner View Post
Since you are an espionage fan, you might have already watched FX's The Americans. If not, it's certainly worth a try. Unlike most other espionage tales where the protagonists are from US/UK, this one is about a couple from erstwhile USSR who are deeply embedded in USA. It's somewhat light on gun blazing action scenes but is a solid cat and mouse game. Quite a lot of focus is put on the emotional state of these characters who leads a double life hidden even from their teen aged children.

I watched it on Prime while I was in US. In India, Hotstar has the show.
Thanks for the tip. I never heard about this series. Will try to find them on US OTT platforms.

The theme sounds a lot like "Hunters" starring AL Pacino which was also pretty gripping.

On a side note, Hunters S2 has just hit the OTT and is added to my watchlist.

Gosh, amount of content that is dropping on OTT is just too much. I need a vacation to play "catch-up".
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 05:01   #4770
Team-BHP Support

Woman of the Dead - Netflix

Name:  WomanoftheDeadreviewNetflixSeries.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  50.7 KB

Watched this Austrian series (originally in German) on Netflix and found it quite fascinating. This is a revenge-oriented limited series, and packs a storyline that is a bit different to ones we usually see. If not the beautiful landscapes of the Alps in winter, the Ducati zipping along those curved mountainous roads adds to the visual spectacle.

Definitely worth a watch.

Rating : 4/5
benbsb29 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks