Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2023, 07:56   #4771
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGooner View Post
Since you are an espionage fan, you might have already watched FX's The Americans
I also strongly recommend The Americans. I had watched a couple of seasons in the pre-OTT, when it had aired on Star World. I started rewatching it recently and now in S2. The series being set during the cold-war 80s, makes it perfect for all the spying techniques that we read about in Le Carre's books - building an asset over decades, dead drops, coded radio mesages, honey traps etc.

Another recommendation is Homeland. Less action than Jack Ryan but more solid characterization and drama.
DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 22:01   #4772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to all for the recommendations! Me, my sister & brother-in-law are all hooked onto Yellowstone. While I am on Season 3, my sister bingewatched her way to Season 5.
I am yet to start with season 5. Waiting for it to become available on one of the plethora of apps that I have!

Meanwhile, I have caught up with the Yellowstone Origins series, both 1883 and 1923.

1883: It is much darker than Yellowstone, which I think makes sense because it is set in the times when life was very difficult, specially for people making their way westward, across the country. The lead actor, Isabel May has done a remarkable job in both acting and narration.

1923: It's going well so far. I dont think this is Helen Mirren and Harrison Ford's best work though.

Fun Fact: Taylor Sheridan, the creator of the series, has small but strong appearances in both Yellowstone and 1883.
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 12:04   #4773
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Trial by Fire on Netflix
Worth a watch . Thanks for the recommendation. It's on the Uphaar Cinema fire tragedy. Thank God we are finally seeing some good content on Netflix, compared to all the junk they've dished out earlier. God bless competition

GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 12:30   #4774
BHPian

I did a quick search but seems no one has recommended Vadhandhi: The Fable of Velonie on Amazon Prime yet. If you liked Suzhal you will probably like this too. Its shot beautifully in Nagercoil and probably Nilgiris area and is a very well told tale. Less graphic than Suzhal but quite a thriller. Available in original Tamil with subs or Hindi and a few other languages - i binge watched it.
Old 22nd January 2023, 18:44   #4775
BHPian

Just finished watching Fauda Season 4 on Netflix. Good one for Fauda fans. I love the technicality of the series, the BGM, the cinematography and not for forget the stellar performances.

Also as for the cars in the series, I was looking at the prominence of Hyundai and Kia cars in that region, Skoda of course, wasn't surprising.

Trial by Fire : Binged watched this one, even though this being a bit slow (apt to the storyline) and emotionally moving. I remembered my Delhi days, when we crossed the Uphaar cinema, and Ansal Plaza used to be weekend hangouts.

Spectacular performances specially of the lead Abhay Deol (Probably, one of the most underrated actors in Hindi) and Rajshri Deshpande, wasn't aware of her before I looked her up on the internet. She was brilliant.
VNair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 10:24   #4776
Senior - BHPian

Witcher Blood Origin (Netflix)

After enjoying everything that's come out of the witcher universe on Netflix, this was a drag.

Just 2 episodes down and thankfully only two more to go.

2/5
Old 23rd January 2023, 14:13   #4777
BHPian

The Last of Us (Disney+)

Based on the 2013 PlayStation game of the same name, this has been a great watch for the 2 episodes released so far. Historically, movies or shows based on video games have often been comically bad but the source material in this case suits itself to the longer narrative form. The show stays true to the original plot beats, while adding new perspective and depth to the characters.

Looking forward to release of new episodes. 8:30 am every Monday.
Pequod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 14:27   #4778
BHPian

Hunters on Prime video - Good watch. 3.5/5

On Hotstar -
National Treasure: Edge of History - 4/5
Bad batch Season 2 - 4/5
Old 23rd January 2023, 15:00   #4779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNair View Post
Just finished watching Fauda Season 4 on Netflix. Good one for Fauda fans. I love the technicality of the series, the BGM, the cinematography and not for forget the stellar performances.
It is also a good dose for listening Levantine Ammiyah Arabic. Listening to it is akin to listening 'khadi boli' for a Hindi speaker.

It is quite amazing how much Arabic is used. Much more than Hebrew. It being an Israeli series.

Have watched 5 episodes till now. Not bad at all.
Fuldagap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 19:10   #4780
Senior - BHPian

Highly Recommend -

White Lotus on Hotstar - its phenomenal to say the least.

Also trial by Fire was excellent
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 12:24   #4781
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's certainly different from the previous seasons but I for one love the new characters. Lior Raz, who in addition to playing Doron is also a show producer, seems to have consciously taken a step back to accomodate some of these brilliant new actors. It also seems a lot more nuanced than previous seasons, though the flip side is a lot less "Fauda" action

Quote:
Trial by Fire : Binged watched this one, even though this being a bit slow (apt to the storyline) and emotionally moving. I remembered my Delhi days, when we crossed the Uphaar cinema, and Ansal Plaza used to be weekend hangouts.

Spectacular performances specially of the lead Abhay Deol (Probably, one of the most underrated actors in Hindi) and Rajshri Deshpande, wasn't aware of her before I looked her up on the internet. She was brilliant.
She was indeed. I was almost ashamed I've never heard of her before. The fact that they used real names and stayed fairly true to the real story makes it even more fascinating.

Last edited by noopster : 24th January 2023 at 12:26.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 12:53   #4782
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
She was indeed. I was almost ashamed I've never heard of her before. The fact that they used real names and stayed fairly true to the real story makes it even more fascinating.
In my view, TRAIL BY FIRE is Rajshri Deshpande’s best yet. The series is a very painful watch and each and every episode portrayed grief as a powerful human emotion.

Watch Rajshri Deshpande in Angry Indian Goddesses and Manto, brilliant she is. Of course people know more of her because of Sacred games. She is a phenomenal actress but it’s her off camera work that is more commendable. Her adoption of an entire drought effected village and help in making schools and rain water harvesting a prime focus area is worthwhile no less.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 24th January 2023 at 13:12.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 16:35   #4783
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fauda season 4 is as good as Lior Raz's Fauda can be, I'm with you.

But what's with the weird dubbing in Season 4? I've never felt this way in Seasons 1 - 3 before; you can tell very apparently that someone else had fibbed the lines that the characters are speaking. And the English dubbing artistes clearly suck at their jobs, with their flat and nasal tones all the time marring what would have been brilliant scenes.
Old 25th January 2023, 09:54   #4784
Team-BHP Support

A +1 to Fauda. Season 4 has kept up the strong legacy the series carries. Very well executed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
But what's with the weird dubbing in Season 4?
At the risk of a slight discomfort in watching the subtitles along with the content, I never turn on dubbed English for non-English shows/movies. It just spoils the overall experience - be it the dialect, the tonality or the voice that goes with the expressions.

---

Watched a couple of episodes of That 90s Show, since I enjoyed That 70s Show.

Unfortunately, the spin-off can't hold a candle to the original. The new cast is desperately trying to continue with the originals' body language / acting, and can't pull it off at all. Red Foreman seems to hate being on the show, more than he hates the kids using his stuff. Only Kitty seems to pick up where she left off.

2/5
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 10:17   #4785
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Fauda season 4 is as good as Lior Raz's Fauda can be, I'm with you.

But what's with the weird dubbing in Season 4? I've never felt this way in Seasons 1 - 3 before; you can tell very apparently that someone else had fibbed the lines that the characters are speaking. And the English dubbing artistes clearly suck at their jobs, with their flat and nasal tones all the time marring what would have been brilliant scenes.
I finished 2 episodes of Season 4 of Fauda and as many already highlighted, it's as gripping and superbly executed as it was in the previous seasons.

S2 was slightly lame but, it picked up the original pace in S3 and now in S4.

Coming to subtitles, even I love watching non-english language in original audio and keep the English subtitles on.

However, for Fauda I watched it in English Audio and Subtitles and while the accent is weird (supposed to be Israeli so I am not griping so much) I have to say kudos for their accuracy as the same voice over artists have been used from S1 to S4 (At least for major characters like Doron, Eli, Avichai, Steve, Gabi etc.)

Can't wait to finish rest of the season.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed