Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2023, 22:05   #4846
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Trial By Fire was good but slow paced. Would give it a 4/5. Will never be able to fathom what that family had to go through!
I started this, the first episode was so hard hitting, I just couldn't bear it and stopped watching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Cunk on Earth - Philomena Cunk's epic landmark mockumentary on civilisation, tracing humanitykind's journey from prehistory to the present day.

Netflix Mockumentary
Rating 5/5

Highly recommended. Sadly, has just 5 episodes.
I absolutely LOVED it !!! Imagine this series to be like the book Sapiens but written by P.G.Wodehouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
HBO Content Such As The Last of Us, Game of Thrones, Succession will Be Unavailable on Disney+ Hotstar From March 31.

With no more F1 and now HBO too moving away from Disney+ Hotstar, only Marvel and Star Wars content will remain on the platform. Its time to unsubscribe Hotstar for me.

Its uncanny what you have written here, since I used almost the same words in our friend's WhatsApp group telling them why we shouldn't continue with our Hotstar subscription.

Have also started Kaleidoscope on Netflix.

Last edited by casnov : 8th March 2023 at 22:08.
Old 8th March 2023, 22:26   #4847
BHPian

Looks like HBO is moving to Amazon Prime. A big boost to Amazon although it will be an extra subscription for sure like Lionsgate and all.
Old 8th March 2023, 23:38   #4848
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Puli Meka (Telugu Series on Zee 5)

It was a pleasant surprise to discover this thriller series. It's fast paced and just 20 mins per episode (8 episodes)

Story is about a serial killer targeting police officers in Hyderabad. Apart from the fast paced serial killer story, the parallel theme of a family drama is equally interesting and brings a chuckle in quite a few places.

Highly recommend this one for thriller lovers.

4/5
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 16:33   #4849
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been watching some interesting international shows on Netflix of late:

- Tryptich (European Spanish): The premise is somewhat 80s Bollywood (triplets separated at birth) but direction is taut and performances are quite good. Has a slow pace and some gratuitous sex that is almost laughable but definitely worth a watch. I still have a couple of episodes to go at the time of going to print.

- Far From Home (English/Nigerian): I have visited Lagos on work when younger and was amazed at how much nicer it looks now. This is somewhat similar to the Hindi language series "Class" (which itself is based on the Spanish "Elite") but there is no drama of a murder or anything: a poor kid enrols at Nigeria's finest private school and chaos ensues. Super performances from the young cast especially Mike Afolarin as Ishaya Bello. I feel a bit bad that he doesn't even have his own Wikipedia page. It's a limited series with 5 episodes, but I feel they could have made a 6th and ended it a bit less hurriedly.
Old 12th March 2023, 14:46   #4850
BHPian

Just finished watching "David Attenborough: A life on our planet"

Hard hitting documentary about how the earth has changed due to our activities

I can't imagine what will be left for our future generations based on what we are doing to our resources.
grshnehete is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 15:40   #4851
BHPian

Tulsa King (Season 1-2022): One of the finest series to watch lately. Yes, it's corny, but it has a good supporting cast, is well acted, has no unnecessary drag, and man, nobody from today's generation can match Sylvester Stallone's swag, he absolutely killed it as Dwight. Eagerly awaiting the second season.

9/10
GhostGrid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 15:45   #4852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThePoint View Post
Series: The Looming Tower
Platform: Prime

It's about all things that ultimately culminated in 9/11. It shows how despite having all the red flags, how various agencies failed to collaborate to nail those responsible despite all protocols being in place, all the bureaucracy, the turmoil in white house and how they paid the price for it.

I am yet to finish the series but I found it very gripping the way it's all put together and narrated and obviously the superb acting.

I would rate it a solid 4.5/5
Binge watched this over last weekend. Want to watch again. The last episode was too good, especially the interrogation scene which happens in Yemen. Some of the characters, especially the lady in Alec station, I ended up cursing her at one point of time. That was the impact.
Thanks for suggesting this.
Hope you watched Turning Point in Netflix - which is the kind of sequel to this.
Old 13th March 2023, 20:40   #4853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Binge watched this over last weekend. Want to watch again. The last episode was too good, especially the interrogation scene which happens in Yemen. Some of the characters, especially the lady in Alec station, I ended up cursing her at one point of time. That was the impact.
Thanks for suggesting this.
Hope you watched Turning Point in Netflix - which is the kind of sequel to this.
You are welcome.

Agree on the interrogation scene, it felt real and touching. The way those guys are brainwashed into sacrificing themselves in the name of serving God!

No I haven't watched Turning Point. Need to renew my subscription. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 19th March 2023, 07:24   #4854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
The Expanse (Amazon Prime): 4/5
I see that nobody has mentioned The Expanse yet. For people who enjoy Sci-Fi, I whole-heartedly recommend this show. The show is based on a series of Novels by James S. A. Corey and ran for six seasons. It's critically acclaimed and categorically the best Sci-Fi show I've ever had the pleasure to watch. Once I experienced the attention to detail and scientific rigour on this show, all the futuristic technology they show in Star Wars / Star Trek felt infantile and magic-wand-y.
rating: 4.5/5
This was such a treat to watch! Surprised that it didn't get more popular.

The initial seasons were simply outstanding, they got me hooked. Ended up watching all the 6 seasons over the past month or so.
I felt the last couple of seasons were a tad predictable, but then I suppose there is only so much one can do in a series running several years.

Thanks to your post, would have missed this gem of a series otherwise !
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 00:24   #4855
Distinguished - BHPian

Rocket Boys-2 SonyLiv

After the stupendous success of season 1, the second season ends in that epic bang. The story of Homi Bhaba and Vikram Sarabhai that we learnt in textbooks during our school days and which came alive on screen is one crazy ride. All the actors are so much real that it feels like one is watching the great men in front of their eyes. Jim Sarbh and Ishwaq Singh have probably played the role of their lives and are simply outstanding. Every other actor including the under-utilised Namit Das and Dibyendu Bhattacharya are also wonderful. Rajit Kapoor as Nehru is equally brilliant. A rare series where both the seasons are pure gold. Highly recommended.

Rating: 4/5
ABHI_1512 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 20:00   #4856
BHPian

Hitler's Last Year (TV Mini Series 2015): Those who wish for war or find these wars interesting must watch this two-episode documentary series. What is good about the series is that everything you see is real footage from the war. It's a must-watch and is going to shatter you so deeply that you won't be able to stop thinking about it. Actual footage always changes the feel of any movie or series, as you can relate more.

10/10

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-48bcf0554d6e4650afd6ed56c28a5a37.jpeg
GhostGrid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 23:02   #4857
Distinguished - BHPian

The Night Agent - Netflix

A solid 4.5 / 5.

Very gripping, can't stop binge watching it now!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 27th March 2023 at 23:04.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 08:13   #4858
Team-BHP Support

Watching Liasion on Apple TV+.

A political thriller based on cyberattacks on EU and the UK, and the politics behind it. Decent watch if you're interested in international politics.

3/5

Succession season 4 has now premiered.

Unfortunately, it will not air in India, given HBO and Disney Hotstar have parted way; so you have to find creative ways to watch it.

The first season has picked up where the earlier season left. They are releasing one episode weekly, so might make sense to wait till all are out and binge it.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 09:25   #4859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
The Night Agent - Netflix

A solid 4.5 / 5.

Very gripping, can't stop binge watching it now!

https://Youtu.be/YDbnY9Obsfs
Just finished watching this. Every bit is gripping. It just came on my recommendations. Looking for another similar one now.
Old 28th March 2023, 17:23   #4860
BHPian

The Americans [ Disney Hotstar ]

A TV series to be savoured. The series originally aired from 2013 to 2019. Set during the peak of 1980s cold war the story is about two Soviet spies and their two children living in Washington DC as normal everyday Americans. (Read more about KGB's "illegals" program here and here).

What works is the well paced drama, very less action, solid acting by all, the side characters not getting thrown out at will but getting a closure in later episodes, and the context of the cold war. No clear heroes or villains, no glamourisation of spies or the FBI here. As one of the spies says at the end "We were just doing a job".

Rating: 5/5

ps - Some may find the pace too slow, and the background of the cold war too 'academic'.
DigitalOne is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed