Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2022, 20:10   #31
BHPian

Re: The Water Heater Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsneela View Post
Thanks Everleaner for the warnings . LPG produces CO due to incomplete combustion which is applicable for LPG cooking stoves also ( Imagine many houses in India have kitchens smaller than bathrooms of many other houses that too without ventilations. I wonder if anybody explained this CO problem to any LPG cylinder users by anybody). Main problem of this CO poisoning occurs in community halls or homes where many people need to use the same bath rooms with the last person getting affected most.
As I mentioned in my post, it is suitable for our situation since we are only 2 people ( out of which I don't use hot water most of the year) and the heater is on only for 5 minutes daily. Heater is placed high and near the window in bathroom. We keep the door also open when water is being heated and since the heat in this system can keep its hotness for long time , not necessary to finish bathing immediately. We are using this for almost 14 years now without any problems.
Good to know that you are aware of the risks and took an informed decision

This is not the case with so many people. I do know some people using this for more than a decade, but they are not at all aware of the risk.

The basic difference between kitchen and bathroom is that kitchen doors are rarely closed, so the gases spread across to other parts of house and ventilated out.

Also someone told me that the way gas stove and gas geyser burn the gas is different and gas geysers generate more CO. I'm not sure if this is accurate.

The implementation I have seen in few houses is that there is no on/off mechanism of gas geyser. When you turn on the tap, the gas burning starts and water gets instantly heated and delivered. Once you turn off the tap, the gas burning also stops automatically. May be there are different models.
Everlearner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 20:20   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Only thing is we use only DJB corporation water. And not borewell water.
This only thing you mentioned is the primary reason for heating coil damage. DJB water has TDS averaging 150 whereas boring water in Delhi ranges from 400 to 1000. When we used DJB water earlier I remember our humble Olympus geyser lasted more than 10 years.
Maverick Avi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 20:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
Good to know that you are aware of the risks and took an informed decision

This is not the case with so many people. I do know some people using this for more than a decade, but they are not at all aware of the risk.

The basic difference between kitchen and bathroom is that kitchen doors are rarely closed, so the gases spread across to other parts of house and ventilated out.

Also someone told me that the way gas stove and gas geyser burn the gas is different and gas geysers generate more CO. I'm not sure if this is accurate.

The implementation I have seen in few houses is that there is no on/off mechanism of gas geyser. When you turn on the tap, the gas burning starts and water gets instantly heated and delivered. Once you turn off the tap, the gas burning also stops automatically. May be there are different models.
This type of heater system does not provide on/off switch. It may be due to it has 3 controls to change the heat unlike Gas stoves which controls only input gas. (Water control, gas control and line control -single or double). When water tap is opened it triggers a magnetic switch which opens up a solenoid to allow gas to flow. If water tap is closed , burning will stop as the solenoid will close LPG flow even if Cylinder is on. To be on the safer side, better to close the regulator itself which will cut off gas directly but can keep water running which can be used to mix cold water with hot water.

Last edited by kvsneela : 30th October 2022 at 21:02.
kvsneela is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 21:01   #34
BHPian

Dear Vigsom,

This was an amazing DIY with detailing par excellence.

You continue to amaze with the care and TLC provided to all machineries - movable and non-movable.

Cheers
Old 31st October 2022, 00:27   #35
VVN
BHPian

Thanks Vigsom. What great timing. I am on the lookout for a very specific type of geysey/water heater. The one I have in Mumbai is smaller in size but heats the water instantly and the temperature is constantly hot (steamy hot). The one I have in Mussorie takes ages to heat the water. I have to wait for 20 mins for the water to heat up and the hot water is not sufficient during winters. Any suggestions on which one should I opt for?

Last edited by VVN : 31st October 2022 at 00:29.
Old 31st October 2022, 07:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
A practical problem with these high electric load instant geysers would be that there will be a corresponding increase in minimum charges for increase in electric load and that will be payable every month whether we use that much electric load in the summer or not! In Delhi that is Rs 100 per KW plus taxes. So for 3 geysers with 5.5KW load that would be 16.5KW load compared to 3 x 2KW = 6KW load for storage geysers.

I think it would be better to use high capacity geysers and let them run 24 hours.
These geysers consume power only when there is water flow, so in effect the power consumption is not very different than that of a 4.5 kW geyser. We have had these in our house since 2012.

In all homes, the power consumption is never constant and varies a lot dueing the day depending on usage of heavy appliances (in terms of power consumption). It may not be necessary to increase the sanctioned load / demand load.
Old 31st October 2022, 14:59   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
These geysers consume power only when there is water flow, so in effect the power consumption is not very different than that of a 4.5 kW geyser. We have had these in our house since 2012.

In all homes, the power consumption is never constant and varies a lot dueing the day depending on usage of heavy appliances (in terms of power consumption). It may not be necessary to increase the sanctioned load / demand load.
Even still the sanctioned load goes up. The utility meter keeps track of the instantaneous load, if it exceeds the sanctioned load for a pre detertimed time (around every 20min can't remember exactly), you will be asked to pay a penalty and increase the sanctioned load which translates to fixed price increase every month, irrespective of whether you use any electricity at all like in bangalore.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 16:06   #38

I personally use Clage 18 kw Instantaneous Water Heater. I have been using it since a year and a half. It is very efficient and there is no increase in my electricity bill too. I get constant temperature water through all the seasons.
Old 31st October 2022, 18:07   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Best method is to use a solar water heater, even with three consecutive rainy days in Bangalore with air temp around 21c to 25c, the water coming out from solar is 33c to 43c. You then use this water to the input of existing electric storage water heater, it takes less then 5 min to be hot enough for the water to be uncomfortablely hot.

Even if there is sun for just 3hrs, its enough to get solar hot water at 50c plus temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvishShah1 View Post
I personally use Clage 18 kw Instantaneous Water Heater. I have been using it since a year and a half. It is very efficient and there is no increase in my electricity bill too. I get constant temperature water through all the seasons.
18kw is madness, even a typical EV car chargers use less power to charge. Instant water heater takes a toll on the wiring, switches, electric grid infrastructure.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 21:00   #40

Thanks for this detailed post Vigsom. Very interesting. I always relied on electrician to get this solved.I have 2 Geysers which are kept aside. Great way to spend quality time on a weekend working on these instant geysers.

Thanks again for the detailing.
Old 1st November 2022, 00:06   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Perfect timing for this thread, thanks Vigsom!

Guys, what are the best & fast water heaters? I like my showers long (15 minutes, sometimes 20) & piping hot. Current geyser was bought decades back and takes 15 - 20 minutes to really boil things up.
AO Smith 25 litres is what you need. I have used it extensively in NCR cold winters. It works fabulously well and looks well in the bathroom as well.
Old 1st November 2022, 00:47   #42

Thanks Vigsom on starting this thread at a very perfect time for me.

I have a Crompton Insta Jet Geyser which I bought in January 2022 and was working fine until a week ago , recently the geyser started giving me this problem, whenever the water in the geyser is heated instead of cutting off the heating the water is being sucked out from the inlet pipe instead of the outlet. Is this problem due to our indoor loft tanks plumbing or some problem with the geyser itself. I had contacted Cromptons customer service and the technician had just replaced the thermostat but the problem resurfaced again today.

Can the members please give me your valuable suggestions on what should be done to solve this problem.
Old 1st November 2022, 11:40   #43
BHPian

Just sharing a tip I received from an electrician friend of mine.

The electric points, whenever possible must be installed at a higher level than the plumbing line, so that it remains dry in the event of a water leak or while dismantling.

Just using the image for reference.

The Water Heater Thread-waterheater_inposition.jpg

Last edited by adrian : 1st November 2022 at 11:51.
adrian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 12:01   #44
Team-BHP Support

I got an AO smith 25 litre water heater almost a year ago and am not happy.

My old geyser was working fine for 12 years then hard water blocked it so bad that water was barely coming out.

I did some research and ordered an AO smith 25litres model.

Cons:
- The installation guy was a kid who damaged thee threading and left with water dripping. Since it was damaged Amazon gave me a replacement.
- The geyser is super noisy when heating. You can hear it in the bedroom. Older one was never so loud.
- The water stinks if you don't use for a few days.
- It takes a lot longer to heat than my older one even at max heat
- the water isnt as scalding hot than older one. It's hot but I have to use much lesser cold water mix to get the temperature.

I would look at options from Havells and Venus over AO Smith. Venus has very good tank coatings and well known brand.

Just don't buy Racold. They closed down the factory near pune as they ran into financial troubles. Now the geysers are assembled elsewhere and lots of chinese components. Quality is not even close to the older Racold which were the Toyota of geysers once.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 12:23   #45
BHPian

Are those instant water heater faucets safe ? I couldn't find any from a reputed brand.

Most Viewed