Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2022, 00:15   #46

Re: Everything Pune : Queries related to living & settling in Pune

Pune has been home for me for 10+ years now and i can confidently say that you are never going to go wrong with Pune. It has best of everything to offer. Be it in terms of weather in general or places for weekend outings. Pune has proximity to many tourist spots. There's truly a lot to offer and you will find people with common hobbies too.

Having said that no city can be perfect. Traffic can be bottleneck at some key routes for which you need to plan ahead if you want to avoid wasting time in traffic. If you stay near your office this won't be a daily problem for you. As others have suggested you can stay near Aundh. Although many upmarket places have come up on the Eastern side like KP, Kharadi, Vimanagar the western side of Aundh, Baner, Balewadi, Wakad has caught up lately.

Summers in general have started getting hotter and Pune has definitely seen frequent spells of heavy rains and water logging in past years. Just try to find out if the place you plan to stay has seen any water logging issues in past just to ensure safety of your vehicles.

Language in general is not an issue in day to day lives IMHO except if you choose to stay near Peth areas where Marathi speaking is more predominant. The areas with lot of IT crowd is very cosmopolitan and expect little bit higher cost of living in these areas compared to some other localities.
Old 9th November 2022, 16:00   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIRaghav View Post
I will be sending my car to Pune via some mode of transport but haven’t finalized anything yet.
Cars registered outside of MH are targeted whenever there are checks being conducted by traffic policemen, or if you are caught offending any rules.

You can use your DL/UP cars in Pune uptil 1 year of relocation, without paying additional road tax and getting your Registration# converted to MH12/14. After that it is expected you take care of the transfer and registration.
DuHasstMich is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 15:32   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
Hi Everyone,
I am relocating to Pune for joining a new job. Living in North India (NCR) and US my whole life, I need to understand how is the city, which places to live and enjoy. Most importantly which places to avoid.
Initially I will be there by myself for six months to year. Any insights that can be provided, Do's & Don'ts would be hugely appreciated.
What does a nice furnished 1 or 2 BHK in Pune, located in an upscale society cost to.How is the traffic and commute in Pune, what are the mode of transport available, if I do not drive my car down to Pune from NCR.

I feel the thread may be helpful for anyone in the community planning to shift to Pune.

Will not stretch the post into a long one, anything anyone wishes to share please do so.

thank you

Kind Regards
Places of residence:
- Baner
- Aundh
- Balewadi Hish Street
are the ones you should definitely look at. There are some good places to hangout around these areas and the crowd is cosmopolitan.

Would really advise you getting the RC transferred. I have suffered twice in the past when my MH-04 Santro was caught for no reason in Pune just because its MH-04 car. With a UP/HR/DL registration it will be more painful for sure.

A good 2BHK should cost you in upwards of Rs. 25k per month on rent or in upwards of Rs. 1.2CR if you are looking at buying one.

For transport, highly recommend you get your bike here as the public transport isn't the best. Uber / Ola are nototrious for declining rides and autowallahs have an air of superiority. They are expanding the metro network but it is another 3 years away from being operational.

Places to avoid on bike / car, old city area for sure (the Peth areas). Very small lanes with no clear signages for one way / no parking and the traffic there is really horrible.

Places to visit - Koregaon Park (German Bakery); Camp (Kayani, Budhani, Marz-o-rin), Kalyani Nagar (Flour Works), SB Road (Paasha, Swig), Deccan Gymkhana (Vaishali - personally recommed for south Indian food - avoid on weekends though, Chitale), Kothrud (Barometer)

Around Pune - Sinhgad fort, Lonavala / Khandala, Mulshi, Aamby Valley, Lavasa, Dhom Dam, Bhimashankar are good for bike ride / drive.

Please dont hesitate to drop me a DM should you need any assistance. Take care!
sameer_vwagner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 16:32   #49
BHPian

Inputs from someone who has been a Punekar since 2004, yeah I stayed in Aundh too for initial few years

I came to Pune from Delhi (joined Infosys) on 27th June 2004. It was definitely a place to fall in love with, the best USP being the 12 month weather. The first thing anything would do in Pune would be to get a two wheeler (at that time, based on my salary that was the only thing I could afford, on loan :-) )

As the time passed, I learnt few things:
  1. You need to be careful about the main Pune city driving due to one ways and few no entry zones.
  2. You need to be more careful about the people crossing the Red signal (most of the Punekars do that with pride) and coming from the opposite side (this has become the birth right for most of them).
  3. Watching a 20 bucks movie (front seat) at 09:00 am in the morning and then heading to FC road for Chaitanya's Parathas was always a treat over weekends.
  4. There were always 'places to visit' for trekking, boating, and adventure activities in ALL the directions from Pune (Mumbai, Bangalore, Ahmednagar, Solapur).
  5. ALL kind of restaurants in every directions.
  6. Monsoons were the most beautiful.
  7. Mahabaleshwar as well as Konkan beaches (Starting from Alibaugh all the way down to Goa) could be visited anytime during the 12 months.
  8. Local traffic cops target Bikers almost 10 times more than the 4 wheelers.
  9. Construction Construction everywhere (Hinjewadi was still only an IT park with employees staying in Aundh).
  10. No one cared about your speed limit either in the city or on the highway.
  11. There was no public infrastructure, no proper roads, no proper public system.
  12. City Center was always crowded (The Peth area).
  13. There were locals who were goons and as a north Indian, you were considered as an outsider (I have had few instances in the last 18 years from where this feeling is coming).

What has changed in the last 18 years?
  1. 5 Major townships have been established in Pune (3 only in Hinjewadi and 2 in the East Pune).
  2. The number of vehicles in Pune have almost equalled or crossed the number of people in Pune.
  3. The inflation seems to have averaged on higher side more than the national average itself. (School Fees, Gas prices, Property prices, Rentals, Tolls, Services everything has gone out of proportion).
  4. The weather cycle has been extended by almost a month. (Monsoons ended October end this year, it used to end in September mid).
  5. More and More eateries everywhere.
  6. Ola, Uber, Swiggy, Dunzo, Blinkit are ruling the city and people are happy paying for the services.
  7. More and More coworking spaces have come up, a concept that did not exist say 10 years back.

Apart from some of the above developments, everything else is still same as mentioned in the first list in this reply.

So Welcome to Pune, my suggestion is to blend in with the local culture as soon as possible (Learning Marathi is not mandatory as most of the people speak and understand Hindi, English) however knowledge of the local language would always keep you some or the other edge. I never practised speaking the language as there never was any need created for me for the same but I think I should have done that.

EVERY service as well as the product is available in Pune as long as you are willing to shell out money.

Just don't expect the quality from the local municipal body if you visit the PMC areas (Pune Municipal Corporation) however considering you would be staying in Aundh, you would be part of the PCMC (that anyway is on a different league and my suggestion to anyone relocating to Pune is to find a place in PCMC rather than PMC in case your work location is in PCMC).

Most Importantly: Be aware of where you park, there are designated parking spots (either free or paid) based on the Odd/Even dates and my suggestion is to not get carried away by those who are breaking the rules by parking anywhere they can. This also goes for those jumping the red signal.

You can however easily ignore someone honking at you on the red signal (to encourage you to cross it since they want to do the same) because they will do it once and twice and then will be silent after that :-).

So Enjoy the weather and all the food that you can find including the local one. Enjoy Konkan (Take the very inside route along the beaches to cover its entirety) and Forts (You will find many of them around). Keep some annual budget for traffic challans and learn to drive carefully (You need to not only save yourself but also the bikers, the autos and everyone who would seem to be VIPs getting late for wherever they are going).

Remember, its your community practises and attitude towards the one that you blend in or build that will make your experience at any place supreme rather than the geography or geopolitics or anything else because that thing would always remain common for everyone around you.

BTW, Police here is just a call away and they are helpful (at least would listen to you irrespective of wherever you are coming from and will show their eagerness to take action if required). So never feel feared to call them if required (God Forbids).

Have a safe stay in Pune and all the best! Happy to help for any of your queries for anything related to Pune and adjoining places.

Best Regards,
Achint
achintatri is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 17:02   #50
BHPian

Thank you all for your kind inputs, looking forward to meeting you all, once in Pune.

Cheers

Regards
Old 19th March 2023, 02:56   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by three10 View Post
To the person who was asking about Magarpatta, make sure you locate a society near the DC (which is the main shopping Center for Magarpatta city as a whole). I took up a flat on rent in Cosmos society which was practically next door.

All of the offices are located in the inner ring, and walking there took less than 10 min. The township is well planned and has lots of greenery / open space. You would not need a car / vehicle for daily commutes.

For social life, Koregaon park is an ~15 min drive. There are two big malls (seasons mall and Amanora mall) at one corner of Magarpatta.

P.s - born, brought up and lived 40 years in Hyderabad.
Thank you for the response. After making multiple excuses to get extension on joining back office, finally it’s time to move and I actually went to Pune for a week just to get an idea of the places where we can look for a place and how far are things from office etc. I visited Amanora mall but it seems some part of it is under construction. Stayed at 2 separate airbnb’s, one in Hadapsar in Amanora towers and another in KP. Liked KP as everything is close but Hadapsar seems like the outskirts of the city. Anyways, I will be moving to Pune during the last weekend of April and I have started contacting real estate agents for an estimate on rents and all of them are quoting such exorbitant rents that I feel they are trying to make a fool out of me. Cheapest 3 BHK was quoted at 45K that too without any furnishings, not even almirahs. Furnished apartments were quoted anywhere between 60k-75k. Is Pune really that expensive?

On another note, I used to live in Hyderabad (near Gachibowli) but it’s been a decade since I was there.
Old 19th March 2023, 06:35   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Cheapest 3 BHK was quoted at 45K that too without any furnishings, not even almirahs. Furnished apartments were quoted anywhere between 60k-75k. Is Pune really that expensive?
Wow! Don’t think that’s the case. Where are they quoting that much?

For reference, I got my 3Bhk in magarpatta cosmos society for 24k a month. This was a fully unfinished flat without a single shelf. Of course, consider the fact that this was between the first and second Covid waves where there want too much demand.

I would assume the right rent would be between 35-40k including maintenance for a semi furnished apartment (with a modular kitchen). Guess you’re being overquoted by about 10k.
Old 19th March 2023, 08:16   #53
BHPian

I do think that people returning to office has skewed the supply and demand the other way. In places like Viman Nagar, the rents are 35k for an unfurnished 2BHK.
pandey.jai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 11:22   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by three10 View Post
Wow! Don’t think that’s the case. Where are they quoting that much?

For reference, I got my 3Bhk in magarpatta cosmos society for 24k a month. This was a fully unfinished flat without a single shelf. Of course, consider the fact that this was between the first and second Covid waves where there want too much demand.

I would assume the right rent would be between 35-40k including maintenance for a semi furnished apartment (with a modular kitchen). Guess you’re being overquoted by about 10k.
We have been quoted this in multiple locations but mostly within Amanora park town area. Could you suggest some places near magarpatta city for a decent 3 bhk? 35-40k is what we have planned for rental expenses. Someone suggested Leisure town, any idea how far that is from Magarpatta city?
Old 19th March 2023, 11:48   #55
BHPian

Quote:
We have been quoted this in multiple locations but mostly within Amanora park town area. Could you suggest some places near magarpatta city for a decent 3 bhk? 35-40k is what we have planned for rental expenses. Someone suggested Leisure town, any idea how far that is from Magarpatta city?
I would suggest you look at flat and flatmates groups on Facebook, i found a really good flat for 30k per month in Wakad, fully furnished with 2 car parkings. Regarding distances, Google maps is your best friend.
Old 23rd September 2023, 19:31   #56
BHPian

Hello all,

I will be soon relocating to Pune. Would appreciate inputs from experienced bhpians (especially those having kids) about good ICSE schools. I am keen on getting my son admitted to Senior KG for the academic year 2024-25.

My office is located in Viman Nagar (Panchsheel Business Park). My family is keen on settling in a gated community that's in proximity to my office and has a choice of good ICSE schools. Taking all this into consideration, and after doing a Google search, I was only able to identify The Bishop's Co-ed School (Camp and Kalyani Nagar branches) as a good option. Google reviews of other ICSE schools were looking very inconsistent.

Are there any other schools that would be on par / better than Bishop's? We are only keen on ICSE.

Here in Bangalore, I am used to commuting 12-13kms (one way) twice / thrice a week to my existing office location in peak Bangalore traffic, on my Honda Dio. Hence, I am not too worried about the proximity of my residence to my office. Just that my residence should be close (preferably walking distance, if that's possible) to my kid's school.

Valuable inputs will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd September 2023, 20:34   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker99 View Post
Hello all,

I will be soon relocating to Pune. Would appreciate inputs from experienced bhpians (especially those having kids) about good ICSE schools. I am keen on getting my son admitted to Senior KG for the academic year 2024-25.
Vibgyor NIBM is good but expensive. Vimannagar would be 30 mins commute by scooter.
shashant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 01:06   #58
BHPian

Bishop’s has 3 branches - Camp, Undri and KalyaniNagar.
The other well established icse Christian Missionary schools are Hutchins and St. Mary’s (yes they do have a boys section for every class) both in Camp. There’s Loyola in Pashan. All of these are well known and typically traditional schools.
If you want the more modern and IB inspired type, then you have Vibgyor (multiple locations) and Euro (Undri).

Quote:
Hello all,

My office is located in Viman Nagar (Panchsheel Business Park). My family is keen on settling in a gated community that's in proximity to my office and has a choice of good ICSE schools. Taking all this into consideration, and after doing a Google search, I was only able to identify The Bishop's Co-ed School (Camp and Kalyani Nagar branches) as a good option. Google reviews of other ICSE schools were looking very inconsistent.

Are there any other schools that would be on par / better than Bishop's? We are only keen on ICSE.

Here in Bangalore, I am used to commuting 12-13kms (one way) twice / thrice a week to my existing office location in peak Bangalore traffic, on my Honda Dio. Hence, I am not too worried about the proximity of my residence to my office. Just that my residence should be close (preferably walking distance, if that's possible) to my kid's school.

Valuable inputs will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
GreyNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 04:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
Bishop’s has 3 branches - Camp, Undri and KalyaniNagar.
The other well established icse Christian Missionary schools are Hutchins and St. Mary’s (yes they do have a boys section for every class) both in Camp. There’s Loyola in Pashan. All of these are well known and typically traditional schools.
If you want the more modern and IB inspired type, then you have Vibgyor (multiple locations) and Euro (Undri).
Loyola in Poona is SSC. Not ICSE. There's Helena's too, but that's girls only.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 21:11   #60
BHPian

Quote:
What is your definition of a good school and how did you conclude that Bishops is a good school? Academics, sports, extra curricular, board results? Your search for school would depend on your answer.

Last edited by ampere : 24th September 2023 at 21:20. Reason: Trimmed quoted post

Most Viewed