Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2007, 11:25   #31
Team-BHP Support

LOL, its funny how TOI has ruffled feathers. This photo is disturbing, but can it even compare to the Pulitzer winning Kevin Carters photo? The text is slightly wrong, Kevin Carter commited suicide much later I think. correct me If I am wrong
Old 4th July 2007, 11:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

its quite true. I avoid the ToI and other papers, that sensationalize. but that leaves one question, whats left to read? Editors have this mantra that "sex sells" and that is why they have scanty clad women, and other related items in the paper. People apparently "want to read" what the page 3 people do. And many a times try and emulate them. There is a very small percentage of people who are looking for "intellectual" news. Ive now honed onto reading news online. For india specific news, one does not have any choice. The opetions are quite crass. CNN-IBN is another classic example of hyping news and reporting unrelevant things. I was aghast. A while back, our prime minister went to havana for a summit (not sure which one) and instead of reporting about his meeting with fidel castro, the site reports on what the prime minister eats, and who cooks his food etc etc. I mean, what has reporting gone down to?
There was another post that i had found in which the entire reprot about an accident was like an essay! this was in Hindustan Times, agian of mumbai. :(
Old 4th July 2007, 11:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Imagine the plight of her parents when they wud have seen the pic in the newspaper, their daughter all soaked in blood!
Shameful act by Times group
This always happens not only with times group but with the others too they show people being beaten up live but never go to rescue them.Another instance is they showed a man hanging on a pole they just kept on showing how he was trying to commit suicide rather than rescuing him.I really hate the media they are the sickest people in the world
Old 4th July 2007, 11:39   #34
Team-BHP Support

My wife refers to the TOI (Bangalore Times) as 'Bikini Times'. And she's not the only one i know who calls it so. She repeatedly keeps saying that we should stop TOI once we have kids.

During my stay in Kerala for a short vacation, i switched over to the Hindu for news. Somehow, i couldnt stay tuned in. I guess something to do with the style of reporting? I wouldnt mind at all if the Bangalore Times section of TOI was scrapped. The main paper can remain, although it does have a really high share of ads. Either ways, lack of time prevents me from reading the Bangalore Times, and i dont feel like i missed anything, specially the most-hated PAGE 3. What utter cr@p!

When i was in Dubai, my favourite newspaper was the Khaleej Times. I just loved that newspaper then. They had an issue wherein they didnt have a single ad in the newspaper for the day, just to show how different life would be sans ads. Wasnt really a happy experience, i should say.
Old 4th July 2007, 11:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

TSK, that was one hell of a photo, a soul-stirring one!
How sad & depressing situation in the poorest continent of Africa!
Old 4th July 2007, 11:44   #36
rkg
Senior - BHPian

i donot know whether this fits in this thread. if not mod's plese shift to appropriate sectin/thread.
this i got by mail. it came with the photo of the army major who got killed . this was not all covered in india media. it was shown in BBC

Shame on Indian Media

A MUST READ...

Dear Editors of HT, TOI, IndianExpress and The Hindu, I got the mail below from a friend of mine and following the unwritten code of conduct, I am forwarding it to my friends but all efforts of people who have been forwarding this mail would go waste if this mail doesn't reach YOU......
Something to think about..!!

Shame on Indian Media??? Really what a shame...

By the time u guys read this news, the body of Major Manish Pitambare, who was shot dead at Anantnag, would have been cremated with full military honors.

On Tuesday, this news swept across all the news channels 'Sanjay Dutt relieved by court'. 'Sirf Munna not a bhai' '13 saal ka vanvaas khatam' 'although found guilty for possession of armory, Sanjay can breath sigh of relief as all the TADA charges against him are withdrawn' Then many personalities like Salman Khan said 'He is a good person. We knew he will come out clean'. Mr Big B said "Dutt's family and our family have relations for years he's a good kid. He is like elder brother to Abhishek". His sister Priya Dutt said "we can sleep well tonight. It's a great relief"

In other news, Parliament was mad at Indian team for performing bad; Greg Chappell said something; Shah Rukh Khan replaces Amitabh in KBC and other such stuff. But most of the emphasis was given on Sanjay Dutt's "phoenix like" comeback from the ashes of terrorist charges. Surfing through the channels, one news on BBC startled me. It read "Hisbul Mujahidin's most wanted terrorist 'Sohel Faisal' killed in Anantnag , India . Indian Major leading the operation lost his life in the process. Four others are injured.

It was past midnight , I started visiting the stupid Indian channels, but Sanjay Dutt was still ruling. They were telling how Sanjay pleaded to the court saying 'I'm the sole bread earner for my family', 'I have a daughter who is studying in US' and so on. Then they showed how Sanjay was not wearing his lucky blue shirt while he was hearing the verdict and also how he went to every temple and prayed for the last few months. A suspect in Mumbai bomb blasts, convicted under armory act...was being transformed into a hero.

Sure Sanjay Dutt has a daughter; Sure he did not do any terrorist activity. Possessing an AK47 is considered too elementary in terrorist community and also one who possesses an AK47 has a right to possess a pistol so that again is not such a big crime; Sure Sanjay Dutt went to all the temples;
Sure he did a lot of Gandhigiri but then........ ...

Major Manish H Pitambare got the information from his sources about the terrorists' whereabouts. Wasting no time he attacked the camp, killed Hisbul Mujahidin's supremo and in the process lost his life to the bullets fired from an AK47. He is survived by a wife and daughter (just like Sanjay Dutt) who's only 18 months old.

Major Manish never said 'I have a daughter' before he took the decision to attack the terrorists in the darkest of nights. He never thought about having a family and he being the bread earner. No news channel covered this since they were too busy hyping a former drug addict, a suspect who's linked to bomb blasts which killed hundreds. Their aim was to show how he defied the TADA charges and they were so successful that his conviction in possession of armory had no meaning. They also concluded that his parents in heaven must be happy and proud of him.

Parents of Major Manish are still living and they have to live rest of their lives without their beloved son. His daughter won't ever see her daddy again.

So guys, please forward this message around so that the media knows which news to give importance, as it is a shame for us since this Army Major's death news was given by a foreign TV channel!!!

If you believe in it, don't feel shy in forwarding it.
Old 4th July 2007, 11:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

I stopped TOI long back and instead reading 'The Hindu' . Am happy with their contents and Reporting.

I just check TOI on Wednesday, and IT people know why? Their job supplement 'Avenues' have loads of Ads.

Last edited by finneyp : 4th July 2007 at 11:56.
Old 4th July 2007, 11:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

I agree with most members here that TOI is rubbish. It was a hit with my classmates (and still is i guess), coz it didn't cover any important political news and had all these articles about sex, how to party, how to make cock tails, how to go about a date and about some unknown people's (socialites ?) partying habbits. And to add to that, they provide advice from the likes of Shobha De and Mahesh Bhat :P
Old 4th July 2007, 19:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The text is slightly wrong, Kevin Carter commited suicide much later I think. correct me If I am wrong
he committed suicide within an year, because of his own personal and professional problems. depression was in no way related to this photo. trust me, they see much worse in their lifetime. kinda desensitizes them.
Old 4th July 2007, 23:05   #40
BHPian

Times was the only newspaper which incidentally did not carry the news of Satyendra Dubey's Murder. I stopped subscribing to both the times and the Eco times since then. The alternate choices are bad but my only consolation is that my money does not go to the times group.

This is an apt summary of the Times of India.
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mahim/toi/toiletter1.txt
Old 4th July 2007, 23:35   #41
rks
BANNED

The question is whether the Times group violated any law by publishing that photograph. Frankly, I do not think so and I do not find the picture particularly shocking either.

We Indians must learn to respect the freedom of the Press, the way it is done all over the West. It is vital in any democracy. Quite often all kinds of groups get "offended" by various items that newspapers publish and clamour for censorship. That is the evil and must be resisted at all costs, and for obvious reasons. When the Press does something illegal, then action can and will be taken to make them fall in line.
Old 5th July 2007, 00:45   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
LOL, its funny how TOI has ruffled feathers. This photo is disturbing, but can it even compare to the Pulitzer winning Kevin Carters photo? The text is slightly wrong, Kevin Carter commited suicide much later I think. correct me If I am wrong
TSK, how can you compare this picture with the rubbish that passes of as journalism in TOI? The picture of a vulture waiting to eat the child stirred the souls of many a people across the world and aid started pouring into somalia after it was published That is the reaction which the photographer and the publishing house expected and it happened. When he took the pic, the photographer was not in a state to help the child. IIRC, they were fleeing away from militia and had no time to waste. Even if he rescued the child, there was no one to take care of it afterwards and it would have died anyway. These are the dilemmas which the photographer had to face.
Now tell me, what dilemmas was the TOI photographer facing when he took the pic of a dying woman? The only reality is that people were not willing ot help her and instead watching he die. Now that is the reality that should have been highlighted. Probably it would have won him a pulitzer and we would be discussing how TOI is making a difference.
A starving child read to be eaten by vultures was an everyday reality in somalia. Is a 20 year old dying of stab wounds an everyday reality in India?

Yesterday, after reading this thread, I switched on TV and was watching CNN when they showed a report about a woman who was stabbed in a gas station and five people passed by without helping her or calling 911. One person even took a picture of the dying woman before someone called 911. The unfortunate woman died but the photograph was not shown on TV. CNN may not be the most ethical news channel, but they know when not to cross the line.

Another example is the Virginia Tech shooting in which 33 people were killed before shooter killed himself. No news channel ever showed the parents of the shooter. No news paper published their photo, not even their names. Yes, there are rules governing privacy but still media knows its limits. Compare it with Rediff report on Md. Haneef, the Indian doctor arrested in Aus in connection with London terror plot. Rediff published every personal detail about the doctor right from where he studied, his roll number and worse of all his Indian address. Now everyone knows where he lived and they would be the target of peoples ire. What if the doc was arrested by mistake and there is no proof of his involvement?
Old 5th July 2007, 00:49   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
We Indians must learn to respect the freedom of the Press, the way it is done all over the West. It is vital in any democracy.
In the west it is illegal to show pictures like that. The news channel can be sued if they showed anyone like that not just by the family of the victim but also by the viewers for showing gory images. This is not Press Freedom. Showing dead bodies on TV or News Paper is not vital for democracy. What is vital is the freedom of expression, not freedom to invade others privacy.

If the picture of a dying woman didn't shock you, it is because you became insensitive to such stuff after watching it repeatedly. Any wonder why the people were not willing to help this woman?
Old 5th July 2007, 03:09   #44
Senior - BHPian

Media in this country has now creeped to the lowest possible standard.
"Make News if its not there" is their moto.

They should take a look at BBC if they want to run 24hrs news channels.
Old 5th July 2007, 07:01   #45
BHPian

I am damn sure its not just TOI. A few days ago even NDTV(not that's its great either) was running the "Paris is released from jail" on the running news thingy. Paris Hilton!! Will an average Ram Lakhan on the street give a crap about some spoilt lil bitch on daddy's money who makes sex tapes? Talk about priorities! A million problems are there in the country and they have this as the headline.

This whole episode shows what wrong with our society. The "As long as its not affecting me why should I bother?" attitude. This is really sickening. I feel pity for the poor soul, how she would have suffered. 20 stabs . And the guys there, they should remove their ***** and throw it in Arabian sea and start wearing saris. How many of these men(wait is the right word for these people?) would have kept quiet if it was their daughter or sister? But is it fair to blame these people or is a problem of the society at large? Maybe it was this attitude the reason we were subjugated for a long time.

Most Viewed