Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2007, 16:29   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

TOI is the most useless newspaper.. i stopped it at my home.. but when I am visiting someone I get to read it.. can you believe it.. these guys give the front page as 'full page' ad.. when u wake up in the morning and go to the gate to pick up the news paper with half-shut eyes.. and want to know the headlines.. what do u see.. a f**** advertisement.. it is worse than pop-up ads!! that's TOI for you. simply disgusting.. and when the front page is not some full-page ad, the headlines will be about the shameless self-promotion of TOI sponsored awards,etc. their 'property' edition is thicker than their main news paper.. go figure.
Old 5th July 2007, 16:41   #62
Team-BHP Support

Well expressed Khaadu. Since it was from my post that we coined the term 'Bikini Times', l have also mentioned in the very same post that i still find the main paper more engrossing/readable than the other publication of repute, which is 'The Hindu'. Noteworty here is that i dont go through the Bangalore Times owing to lack of time, as well as lack of interest in Page 3 and celeb affairs. However, if i do manage to find time, i do check out the comics, and earlier on, even Sudoku at times.

While we all blame TOI, i find that the other newspapers such as The Deccan Herald are no different either.

Quote:
This is a free market. You dont like TOI move to some other paper. Dont like News channel X, move to Y.
Ajay, this is also a free country. So, if we dont like whats going on in our country, you would suggest we leave the country too, and not oppose the atrocities?
Old 5th July 2007, 16:41   #63
BHPian

Lets start a "What newspaper(s) do you get at home" poll and see what the results show
Old 5th July 2007, 16:51   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
TOI is the most useless newspaper.. i stopped it at my home.. but when I am visiting someone I get to read it.. can you believe it.. these guys give the front page as 'full page' ad.. when u wake up in the morning and go to the gate to pick up the news paper with half-shut eyes.. and want to know the headlines.. what do u see.. a f**** advertisement.. it is worse than pop-up ads!! that's TOI for you. simply disgusting.. and when the front page is not some full-page ad, the headlines will be about the shameless self-promotion of TOI sponsored awards,etc. their 'property' edition is thicker than their main news paper.. go figure.

Its statements like these that give me my daily dose of laughter .... !! Dude, I seriously wonder where on earth do you get such editions of the TOI .. I get 7 newspapers at my place every morning and I dont see any such thing . Once in a year maybe -- you see them covering their own event , but then why shudn't they ??? Whats so shameless in that .... and the property paper was not alwyas thicker , was it ??? and do you get teh property paper every morning coz around here we get it once a week -- maybe the newspapaer walla is cheating me !!!!

grow up man ..... and give some valid dates when you saw what you saw -- don't shoot of the hip into the dark .

Cheers
Old 5th July 2007, 16:54   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Its statements like these that give me my daily dose of laughter .... !! Dude, I seriously wonder where on earth do you get such editions of the TOI .

Cheers
I get TOI and many times the front page is a full page advert of some big company.
The Delhi times has more adverts than content.
But I will not give up TOI. I do not read it for news. All news can be had on internet. I read it for entertainment value
Old 5th July 2007, 16:54   #66
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post490595

Last edited by amitoj : 5th July 2007 at 17:06. Reason: Started another thread afterall
Old 5th July 2007, 16:55   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
these guys give the front page as 'full page' ad.. when u wake up in the morning and go to the gate to pick up the news paper with half-shut eyes.. and want to know the headlines.. what do u see.. a f**** advertisement.. it is worse than pop-up ads!! .
After doing a survey .. and spending loads of money on it they discovered that a lot of ppl in this country go thru the paper as a mere formality so to get their attention early in the morning they started experimenting with the full page ad right in the front === Im sure they glad that its working coz like you said , it really does POP U AWAKE and thats what they wanted to do .
Old 5th July 2007, 16:58   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I get TOI and many times the front page is a full page advert of some big company.
The Delhi times has more adverts than content.
But I will not give up TOI. I do not read it for news. All news can be had on internet. I read it for entertainment value
But that aint Page No 1 , and it doesn't happen on a daily basis !!

What form of media doesn't have more adverts today ??? Unless its a new publication , thus not many subscribers and thus not many adverts !!!

And entertainment value is what the Delhi Times is designed for , it aint for serious news !!
Old 5th July 2007, 17:02   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But that aint Page No 1 , and it doesn't happen on a daily basis !!

What form of media doesn't have more adverts today ??? Unless its a new publication , thus not many subscribers and thus not many adverts !!!

And entertainment value is what the Delhi Times is designed for , it aint for serious news !!
Well it happens atleast once a week, and its PAGE no 1, the front page.
The actual newpaper starts from page 3.
You cant even through away that section because then you will lose the last 2 pages.
As for Entertainment, I did not mean Delhi times, I meant main newspaper, its more entertaining than Hindustan times.
As for ethics and journalism, I have said in my earlier posts too, that do not single out TOI, all newspapers are guilty of that.
On the advert part, I do not mind adverts, what I mind is that when I pay for something, and that something has more ads than content? Thats is not done.
If it was a free newpaper like Noida Tabloid(local admag) I would not mind if it was all ads, but when you pay for a newspaper(even if its 2rs) I expect more content than ads.
Old 5th July 2007, 17:02   #70
Senior - BHPian

Khaadu, if at all TOI wants to provide entertainment to the masses, why can't they publish fashion tabloids rather than publishing a mainline newspaper with all crap!!!

Last edited by finneyp : 5th July 2007 at 17:18.
Old 5th July 2007, 17:05   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Khaadu, if at all TOI wants to provide entertainment to the massess, why can't they publish fashion tabloids rather than publishing a mainline newspaper with all crap!!!
TOI doesnt want to provide anything to anyone. They want to sell newspapers. Adding entertainment-rich content sells more newspapers. Thats all there is to it. And going by their sales figures, it seems like a successful strategy. Again - if a majority of people did not like the content they publish they would not be selling many papers and would either change or go out of business.

Last edited by ajitkommini : 5th July 2007 at 17:07.
Old 5th July 2007, 17:09   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Khaadu, if at all TOI wants to provide entertainment to the massess, !!!
Finney, they will provide what the masses want ... and these days unfortunately its CRAP that sells , so they sell it !!!

At teh end its the bank account that matters .... for most of us as well as for them !!

Cheers

PS-- they aint a charity organisation !!!
Old 5th July 2007, 18:55   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finney, they will provide what the masses want ... and these days unfortunately its CRAP that sells , so they sell it !!!

At teh end its the bank account that matters .... for most of us as well as for them !!

Cheers

PS-- they aint a charity organisation !!!
Ok.. So can I take it u admit that TOI is a tabloid, not a "news" paper?
Old 5th July 2007, 21:17   #74
BHPian

nothing to comment about the times here ( i think it sucks, but thats a discussion for another day) , buit havent we all in the major metros lost the human touch.

the father of the girl has a point, viz, that no one even stepped forward to help his daughter, and while i can understand poeple being scared of a knife wielding psycho, its the amount of time that elapsed between her being stabbed and someone taking her to the hospital that is really pathetic.

relect on where we are today, the times or whichever paper is just a relection of what we are
Old 5th July 2007, 21:51   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Ok.. So can I take it u admit that TOI is a tabloid, not a "news" paper?
Who ever said it remains as a newspaper ... infact name me one newspaper in todays day and age !! Tabloid is what we have turned it into ... coz if it hadn't changed with the society it probably wud have shut shop and we wud never have heard of TOI , instead we would be saying XYZ sucks !!!

i see a lot of people commenting ... but comments come depending on which way the initial posts of that thread have gone ... !!! And why single out the Media for losing tehir morals ,,, what about the armed forces , what about the docs , what about the pharma companies , what about the farmers , what about the keeprs of holy places and the list goes on . So lets not get started about morals .. and ethics ... coz you want the ethics that existed a century ago , and which aint happening .

Armed forces --- fake encounters , just so that they get a promotion faster .

Docs -- wanting to been shown the money before they touch someone whose on his last stages .

Pharma companies - make a medicine that cures one problem but creates another 5 in the body .

farmers -- Injecting hormones , pumping poison into teh fields and then selling that produce to people knowing that its harmful .

Keepers of Holy places --- This is one breed that just needs a eradication policy , child moslestation cases , orgies behind doors , incest , rape , forgery , drugs , name it and it happens under the name of God the Great . I swear these guys have Raves that wud give the famous rave of Pune a complex .

So what do we guys do about this ..... frigging nothing , as long as it doesnt affect us directly . 40 ppl at 9 in teh morning cudn't stop one guy from stabbing a woman 20 odd times .. , those 40 ppl need to be hung before the actual culprit gets hanged .

We guys live in a society where none of the morals exist .... its only what we drive or what we wear or where we eat that matters . People come and people go .. so not woprth losing sleep over , I wud luv it if it happened to one of those asses daughter or sister and then see what they wud feel . And here you guys take of on the media ... the question is ' why didnt the media just sweep it under the carpet ? RIGHT .........................

We just need a punching bag ... and this time its the Media !!! Look inwards my friend ....

Most Viewed