Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:50   #1
BHPian

Times group loses humanity to money?

Im referring to this - http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpa...125468859e591#

Recently, a guy stabbed a girl ,Sushma Nikam, in full view of public in Mumbai. Times group carried the story in "The times of India" as well as "The Mumbai mirror". But what really shameful of them was publishing the picture of the crime which shows the wounded girl, soaked in blood and the attacker behind her.

Times group then goes ahead and publishes an article today , with the heading
"Mumbai has become a city of eunuchs". They raise a voice against the public, who did nothing to help the badly wounded girl. Fair enough BUT....

What are they (The times group) then? What was their photographer doing ? All he wanted to do was get money and clicked the picture. Why didnt he step in to stop the attacker or help the badly wounded girl, who yesterday succumbed to her injuries.
If the times group say he wasnt their photographer, then why did they even use the gory picture? For more readers? Can such a reputed publishing house fall so low? Can they loose all humanity for money/readership?

Its disgusting to see all this happening in our country. Public does nothing to help a girl, who kept bleeding for over 10mins. The cops have still not taken any action. And the papers keeps repeating the picture (in the print as well as online edition)... I feel ashamed to be part of the same industry - journalism.

Im running the topic at three places : bunnypunia.blogspot.com , Times group loses humanity to money? - xBhp and http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ity-money.html

Last edited by BunnyPunia : 3rd July 2007 at 12:00.
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ironically their sister publication was making fun of doordarshan that day with a cartoon of a man fallen under a building and a few reporters present there while the man yells out that he would definitely give them an interview but first please rescue him.
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:10   #3
BANNED

That is called tabloid journalism. Coming from a publishing house which was the reference point for best in journalism, the publication of such a news item is bad. Will they (the publishers) stand by the pic in a court of law, where the pic is sure to be taken as evidence? The photographer is sure to change his story ...
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:13   #4
BHPian

Imagine the plight of her parents when they wud have seen the pic in the newspaper, their daughter all soaked in blood!
Shameful act by Times group
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Times Group is a blot in the Media industry!

They are in the business just to make money, with no sensitivity to human values etc.
Just to add subscription to their useless paper, they publish supplements like Blore Times which has all the models pose in semi-clad clothes!

Also they conveniently ignore Reports involving any big honchos! Shame!
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:27   #6
BANNED

Sorry but you guys mean to say that others are doing a great job.
Trust me other newspapers even do worse things to make money.
There is nothing wrong in making money and every newpaper tries to make money.
They publish whatever people want to see and read.
Kindly do not use such harsh words as it is a big BLOT on the media industry.
May be they have made some mistakes but please they also do good work as well.
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:27   #7
JPL
BHPian

The Times Of India (TOI) from the Times Group is the worst newspaper and it definitely shows the values and the objectives of the Times Group all along. The events they sponsor, the stupid articles, the advertisements.

Why ever did they get in to newspapers, young minds read and get influenced by there stupid articles.

They have always given importance to "consumerism" and related the same to all aspects of human emotions.

All they have is paper in color and with good print quality ( definitely works out in their favour, at least the other papers are not selling their soul to the devil)

They have no social responsibility whatsoever. They should be banned for having a negative influence on their readers.

I hate them to the core.
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:36   #8
BHPian

update : topic runnin on mouthshut too : Review on Mumbai Mirror by bunnypunia - MouthShut.com

i dont know why, but im fuming. i had been fumin ever since they carried the pic some days back but today, makin it a front page story and again showin pic burst me out.
Old 3rd July 2007, 13:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

I saw the article today and its not the reporter who said that Mumbai is a city of eunuchs but the father of the girl who was stabbed. The TOI photographer managed to capture the picture which clearly showed a lot of people around the stabbed girl, if you want to criticize the public for not helping her out go ahead but I dont think TOI did anything wrong in reporting this incident.
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:01   #10
BHPian

khanak : wasnt TOI wrong in using such a gory pic? the article was ok to convey the message across, but the pic?
imagine the plight of the parents , seein the pic in a national daily, of their daughter soaked in blood!
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

i guess its just the genreal feeling to hype up any kind offf news and make it in a national drama event. the hindi news channels manage to do it very well. . .now even mainstream journalism has joined it.

as for tabloid journalism mum mirror is a tabloid paper. . .so is mid-day but its shocking to seee mainstream papers doind it. e.g. today times on its front pages has headlines "IT'S OFFICIAL: RUSHDIE, PADMA TO DIVORCE".

they surely have sold out totally an also have become shameless
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
imagine the plight of the parents , seein the pic in a national daily, of their daughter soaked in blood!
Bunny, i appreciate your concern but i think the uncalled for loss of their daughter is such a huge grief for them that in front of it, the appearance of her pic would hardly be even noticed by them.
And if that pic shocks people enough that next time someone may step forward and help someone in need, well then its a worth a shot, aint it?

As for TOI, its in the business of making money by printing news. Just like every one else. TOI belongs to the same group of media that was screaming hoarse about "Mumbai Spirit" some time back. That should give you an idea about where their ethics lie..... basically dead and buried.
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
khanak : wasnt TOI wrong in using such a gory pic?
Nope, its something that happened and theres nothing wrong in reporting the incident. A little insensitive maybe but I wouldnt go as far as to say that the Times group has lost its humanity to money.
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:38   #14
BHPian

khanak : may be coz u arent connected to the girl in picture. There has to be a moral boundary, to which papers should stick to in terms of what all they can show. At the cost of the poor girl and her family, the paper just can not post such a picture repeatedly. The story was ok, shows the truth, but why drag in such a picture? What was the photographer doing? clappin hands?
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I saw the article today and its not the reporter who said that Mumbai is a city of eunuchs but the father of the girl who was stabbed. The TOI photographer managed to capture the picture which clearly showed a lot of people around the stabbed girl, if you want to criticize the public for not helping her out go ahead but I dont think TOI did anything wrong in reporting this incident.
brother. . there is something called as editing. That is the reason why editors are paid like GODS.

The picture was printed on the first page. This publication is read by one and by all. Would you like your 8 yr. old to see this pic (If you have a kid that is). You cannot show these pictures. These pictures are GROSS and GORY. Dont we always take our kids away from blood / dirt. .basically all dirty things ??? That WAS definately wrong.

Well you are right on one part : TOI did nothing wrong by publishing the incident. . it is NEWS and it news needs to be told and you are also spot on by saying we need to critize the people who did not help the girl.

But as a national daily you should not sensationalize things just to get more mileage / more sales.

cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks