Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2007, 16:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Converting VHS to a digital format

Hi all,

Was wondering if it's worthwhile converting VHS (video cassette) recordings into DVD as i have a huge collection of TV programmes that were taped here in India and abroad.

My local dvd guy charges 300 bucks per conversion (for a dvd of 3 hrs) which i found to be VERY expensive. I wanted to check if any of you have done any such conversions.

What are the pro's and con's? Does the conversion affect the quality of the recorded content? any suggestions?

Please do not suggest converting to vcd as it turns out that i have a huge collection of vhs tapes and conversion to dvd is more desirable.

Looking forward to some replies. thanks everyone.
Old 4th July 2007, 16:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Question is.. Are you actually going to watch those TV programs again???

I would reserve DVD conversion for family/home video stuff that were recorded on VHS, so that fungus doesnt eat them away.

The quality would vary on what setup the DVD person uses. Ask him to demo the stuff he has done already (for other customers).
Old 4th July 2007, 20:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

VHS has a high resolution and better quality pictures than a VCD hence it is always recommended to go for a DVD conversion than a VCD conversion. Yes you need to keep in mind parameters you set up for DVD recording should be of medium to high quality.
Old 25th November 2018, 19:34   #4
BHPian

Convert VHS and MiniDV tapes to Digital formats

Hi. I have a collection of the older VHS and MiniDV tapes. These were cassettes that you played in a VCR or VCP (Video Cassette Recorder or Video Cassette Player). I want to convert these to digital formats like MP4 or similar. I have tried in vain to look for someone or any studio which does this.

I stay in Pune. For those in Pune (or Mumbai), are you aware of someone who can help me convert these to the newer digital formats? Alternatively, is there is DIY kit for doing this?

Mods: In case these is already a thread on this topic, then please assist in merging this thread with that discussion.
Old 25th November 2018, 21:47   #5
BHPian

Re: Convert VHS and MiniDV tapes to Digital formats

Hi, I had done this sometime back but it was from mini-cassettes (used in old handycams) to mp4. The person who did this is located off B.T. Kawde road and he did a pretty good job. I believe he should be able to do VHS tapes conversion as well. I don't remember the shop name and don't have a phone number, but from memory I believe this is the exact (or almost exact) location: https://goo.gl/maps/JtmsLFyHX7D2

Hope that helps.
Old 26th November 2018, 15:41   #6
BHPian

Re: Convert VHS and MiniDV tapes to Digital formats

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
I don't remember the shop name and don't have a phone number, but from memory I believe this is the exact (or almost exact) location: https://goo.gl/maps/JtmsLFyHX7D2
Thanks for this. I will try and aim to locate this guy this Saturday. In case you do recollect his name or the name of the shop then please do PM me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks