Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2008, 14:49   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Vijay Mallya is worth 1.2 Billion
The owner of the R8, RR coupe,RR phantom,etc etc are worth $2.7 Billion !
Old 7th March 2008, 17:07   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Vijay Mallya is worth 1.2 Billion
The owner of the R8, RR coupe,RR phantom,etc etc are worth $2.7 Billion !
Who are they ? or, Who is it ?
Old 7th March 2008, 17:21   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Interestingly, Vijay Mallya is nowhere on the list and yet he's the only one who lives the life of a billionaire.
He's also the only one who is going to die knowing that he enjoyed his life and money and just hasn't left a paper fortune for his children to fight over.

I admire and respect people like Vijay Mallya and Richard Branson. One life! Full Power!!
Old 7th March 2008, 17:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Interestingly, Vijay Mallya is nowhere on the list and yet he's the only one who lives the life of a billionaire.
Vijay Mallya is #962 and his international high flying counterpart Richard Branson. is at #236 in the world ranking
Old 7th March 2008, 22:27   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
He's also the only one who is going to die knowing that he enjoyed his life and money and just hasn't left a paper fortune for his children to fight over.

I admire and respect people like Vijay Mallya and Richard Branson. One life! Full Power!!
Absolutely !! Couldnt agree with you more.

Sometimes I feel like laughing at people like Azim Premji and Narayan Murthy. They are rich beyond their wildest dreams, but for what ? To be driven around in a Toyota Corolla and an Innova ?

Sheeesh

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 7th March 2008 at 22:30.
Old 9th March 2008, 06:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
Absolutely !! Couldnt agree with you more.

Sometimes I feel like laughing at people like Azim Premji and Narayan Murthy. They are rich beyond their wildest dreams, but for what ? To be driven around in a Toyota Corolla and an Innova ?

Sheeesh

Aaah but I think that's exactly how they became so rich in the first place. They know the value of money. If they didn't and if they spent it as soon as they got an extra buck in their pocket, they wouldn't be so rich. And Mallaya, didn't he get his money from his dad, maybe that's why he spends it like crazy, not that there is anything wrong with it. Otoh Premji and Murthy made it themselves. So they are a bit more conservative with it.
Old 9th March 2008, 10:14   #22
BANNED

@centro-P: agree with you there. I have always wondered why I never wanted to buy shares of the UB group, but was always considering (still am - that is a different story) buying shares of Infosys. Got the answer from Narayana Murthy himself:-

(quoting NR)
When I go on a business tour, my expenses are paid for by Infosys. But when take my wife along, I have to take a double room, and I always pay the difference between costs of a single room and double room to the company.
(endquote)

In case of UB, the company will have to foot the bill for lipstick used by the PYTs hanging on VM's arms.
Old 9th March 2008, 12:28   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro-P View Post
Aaah but I think that's exactly how they became so rich in the first place. They know the value of money. If they didn't and if they spent it as soon as they got an extra buck in their pocket, they wouldn't be so rich. And Mallaya, didn't he get his money from his dad, maybe that's why he spends it like crazy, not that there is anything wrong with it. Otoh Premji and Murthy made it themselves. So they are a bit more conservative with it.
I guess you do have a point.

But what Mallya inherited from his dad was a very small fortune. He has expanded it to many times more than what it was to begin with.
Old 9th March 2008, 12:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

And not one....

And not one, on any list, is a BHPian. I am beginning to see a pattern emerging.
Old 9th March 2008, 13:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
And not one, on any list, is a BHPian. I am beginning to see a pattern emerging.
Why dont you invite the Billion club members to this Forum and break the emerging pattern ?
Old 9th March 2008, 14:02   #26
BHPian

Quite surprised I didn't see Ratan Tata's name up there. Where does he stand?
Old 9th March 2008, 23:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer80 View Post
Quite surprised I didn't see Ratan Tata's name up there. Where does he stand?
He's nowhere close...he's not the type interested in amassing personal wealth. In fact, its Pallonji Mistry and not him who owns a big chunk of Tata Sons. I'm surprised not to see Mistry's name in top 10.
Old 9th March 2008, 23:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
(quoting NR)
When I go on a business tour, my expenses are paid for by Infosys. But when take my wife along, I have to take a double room, and I always pay the difference between costs of a single room and double room to the company.
(endquote)

In case of UB, the company will have to foot the bill for lipstick used by the PYTs hanging on VM's arms.
Don't fall for NRN's crap. Infosys is the company that paid $ 3 million to a lady because she was sexually harassed by them. The employee in question was not reprimanded/castigated and all in question, barring the lady, refused to acknowledge any wrongdoing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro-P View Post
And Mallaya, didn't he get his money from his dad, maybe that's why he spends it like crazy, not that there is anything wrong with it. Otoh Premji and Murthy made it themselves. So they are a bit more conservative with it.
Mallya got his money from his dad as much as Premji did.
Old 9th March 2008, 23:49   #29
BHPian

C3PO Dude your facts straight. The said lady was not sexually harrassed by Infosys. The guy who did it was their head of sales, who was sacked for this. The 3 mil paid is a small price paid for the time and money a court trial would have caused.

Both Mallya and Premji got small fortunes that they have grown. To put it in perspectives, they inherited an esteem, and now have an RR
Old 10th March 2008, 02:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
C3PO Dude your facts straight. The said lady was not sexually harrassed by Infosys. The guy who did it was their head of sales, who was sacked for this. The 3 mil paid is a small price paid for the time and money a court trial would have caused.
My facts are right, as reported in the media. Infosys did not issue any condemnation of Phaneesh Murthy, nor was any admission of wrongdoing forthcoming from either Infosys, or Murthy. Murthy maintained his innocence throughout, but for some reason Infy thought it best to pay Reka Maximovitch USD 3 million in return for her never filing suit. Also, Murthy was not sacked. He resigned in what appeared to be a rather anti-climactic fashion.

A legal process in the US wouldn't be as long drawn out as India. They are pretty proactive on the harassment front. What would have happened is that Murthy, and Infy as a result, would have been proved wrong/culpable beyond a shadow of doubt, putting in great jeopardy the squeaky-clean reputation NRN tries (and sometimes fails) to project.

Mallya tried very hard to run his business himself, with unimpressive results. He then realised the best way was to hire good managers, and has since kept his hands off the daily grind, with remarkable results. Of course, it helps that the sun will never set on an industry like alcohol.

Last edited by v1p3r : 10th March 2008 at 02:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks