Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2023, 15:34   #76
BHPian

Re: Suffered a serious life-changing accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
Hello BHPians,

What happened was God's will and I had to accept it and thank him to spare my life or damage to some vital organs...
Dear Fawad - Every time I come across such experiences through any means, I realize that "Health is indeed the biggest blessing Almighty has bestowed upon his creation." one cannot thank enough to lord for this particular thing in entire life.
May lord grant you the bless of health in this life & hereafter.

Hope to see more posts from you.

Best of luck
SulemanP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 19:51   #77
BHPian

Fortune favours the brave and hope to see you back as fit as ever. My prayers are for your long healthy life.
sukhbirST is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 05:37   #78
BHPian

Hope you hit everything in your bucket list.
Formula1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 13:12   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousshoes View Post
Here is an interesting talk by Dr.V.S. Ramachandran that i heard many years ago and immediately recalled when you mentioned phantom pain.
Hope it may be of help.

https://www.ted.com/talks/vs_ramacha...in?language=en
I just watched the TED talk.
The 'Mirror Box' Solution is Ingenious and Incredible.
Can't even Imagine what Phantom Pain would feel like.

P.s: Also happened to see your Photography work, Simply Outstanding.
SRISRI_90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 10:50   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousshoes View Post
hi fawad, from your account of the accident i surmise that it was your left leg that was amputated. If that is so, then driving an Automatic is no big deal because one doesn't use the left leg. easy peasy.
On the other hand, a manual transmission might take a bit of effort but absolutely possible without any modification to the vehicle, which is what one would want because it keeps the option open to travel the world and drive anywhere you fancy. The transcontinental driving trips on your bucket list will be all
Here're a couple of videos of people with right / left leg loss driving manual transmission cars without any mods to the vehicle itself.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=r2X7TH_AN2E

and another one here.
So...hang on to your compass mate. youre soon gonna vroom around!

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=M3TBCzU74jg

cheers and have a great weekend
Thanks Mate! The videos were really helpful and they also gave me an idea about where to look for some inspiration and knowhow.

regards
fawad0222 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 23:37   #81
BHPian

Hi Dr Fawad!
Stumbled upon this post today and my emotions went from shocked and sad at first, to bright and hopeful by the time I read your recent update.
You have been through hell and back, and how! I wish you a a speedy recovery, both physical and emotional, and am looking forward to your first journey back to the woods.
Vitruvius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 06:20   #82
BHPian

I just stumbled upon your thread and went numb. While reading this the most predominant thought I had was how brave you are to face such a challenge and how strong you are to nurture such a positive outlook toward future. I'm sure you'll be counted as a beacon to many souls buffeted by vissicitudes in their life. My prayers and best wishes to you.
lejhoom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 13:56   #83
BHPian

Dear Dr Fawad,

I pray and wish for you to have a great life ahead where you tick off every item on your bucket list. The strength, grit and determination with which you are overcoming this tragedy is an amazing inspiration. May God bless you and always be with you.

Best Regards,
Blacktop
Blacktop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 17:26   #84

Quote:
Good afternoon. With the Auto Expo underway and now the much anticipated launch of Royal Enfield's Super Meteor, everybody must be having some contented days.
As promised, I am back with an update on my health status, especially the rehabilitation part...

Dear Dr. Fawad.
I had read your first post regarding your accident and had not replied to that thread. First of all wishing you a very speedy recovery. I am a Prosthetist by Profession and many of my students work at the ALC. I dont really know how to send you a personal message on this forum. So if possible please do connect with me via a personal message. I will do everything within my capacity to help you out. Awaiting for your message .

Makarand Saraf

Mod' Note: Please avoid quoting lengthy posts in full as it hampers overall readability of the posts. Quote only the required portion or a few lines to set the context.
makaarandsaraf is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 09:48   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaarandsaraf View Post
Dear Dr. Fawad.
I had read your first post regarding your accident and had not replied to that thread. First of all wishing you a very speedy recovery. I am a Prosthetist by Profession and many of my students work at the ALC. I dont really know how to send you a personal message on this forum. So if possible please do connect with me via a personal message. I will do everything within my capacity to help you out. Awaiting for your message .

Makarand Saraf

Mod' Note: Please avoid quoting lengthy posts in full as it hampers overall readability of the posts. Quote only the required portion or a few lines to set the context.
Dear Mr Saraf,

Thanks for your reply and for extremely kind offer of help. I am not able to message you on the forum. I am sending you a personal message on your mail id available on your profile page.
Looking forward to speak with you.

regards,
Fawad

Last edited by fawad0222 : 27th January 2023 at 09:54.
Old 10th April 2023, 14:11   #86
BHPian

Dearest T- BHP Mates,

Hope you all are doing well wherever you are, enjoying the rides and taking the bull by the horns when required as this forum has men of Josh, for Josh and in Josh always.

You have been my pillars of support, sane advice and inspiration. THANKYOU!!

To update you further on my rehabilitation journey, With a permanent prosthesis in hand, err. sorry, in leg I have joined my duties at Aligarh a fortnight ago. Altogether things are well, by the grace of God and prayers from all of you.

On the driving front, I have started driving my Jeep compass manual. Went for a two 200 some kms drives. Finding the use of clutch somewhat clumsy, sluggish and awkward. Have to keep my leg on the clutch for smoothly operating the clutch, without engaging it.

On the legal aspect, FIR has been finally lodged and the case is on.

Trying to shift to Pune to stay with my family and hunting for a suitable position.

Thanks once again, for being with me in testing times.

Drive safe

Fawad

Moderators: please give it a wide exposure so that it reaches everyone who connected with me. Thanks

Last edited by fawad0222 : 10th April 2023 at 14:13.
fawad0222 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 10:42   #87
BHPian

Dear Fawad
Glad to know you are doing well. What an inspirational journey you have been on.
Also Chuffed to know that the compass is back in service! and that youve held on to
that sense of humour
Do share some pictures when possible and do keep updating the thread once in a while.
best always!

Last edited by famousshoes : 21st February 2024 at 10:43.
Old 21st February 2024, 11:03   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My future plans;
1. My bucket list includes to be an avid nature lover, spend life in and around jungles, click some sharp photographs and work for conservation of nature.
2. Make a transcontinental trip with my friends, either on bikes or cars.
3. Explore my country more from the ravines of the chambals, to deserts and havelis & forts of Rajasthan, doars of North Bengal, discover north east and interact with its wonderful people.
4. I also wish to interact with the sadhus, nagas and learn more about them.
5. I also want to start a startup, what, where and when, yet to find.

Thanks
Dear Fawad,

How are these plans coming along? We really, all of us, look forward to keeping us posted on each of these!
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 14:11   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Dear Fawad,

How are these plans coming along? We really, all of us, look forward to keeping us posted on each of these!
Dear Red Liner,

Thanks for keeping interest in my thread of life. I will definitely update my status soon also will dwell further into the plans for the future.

Take care
Fawad
fawad0222 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 15:38   #90
BHPian

Dear BHPians.

Hope you all are enjoying your Sundays.
Just wish to update my status.
Thanks to the almighty and your prayers, I have managed to shift to Pune to stay with my family as well as stay close to the Artificial Limb Centre, Army for better and easier prosthesis rehabilitation. I have secured extraordinary leave from my parent institution and joined a corporate hospital blood centre in Pune, which is fortunately not too far away from my residence. Incidentally the hospital has an active prosthetic department and that's a very big relief.

First of all, I once again express my extreme gratitude to you all for supporting me in my time of need with love, positive, encouraging messages and sane advice. Some of you have gone out of your way to help me like sending personal experiences, required information and one has even sent me some books. I am really amazed how supportive you all have been, which I would not have been to do it myself probably for others. So you have been my teacher as well, teaching me the positive lessons in life. Thankyou!!

Army, true to its ethos, has been very kind and supportive to me throughout my journey right from the day of accident till this day and I consider myself fortunate that I have been part of this great institution.

On the prosthetic rehabilitation aspect:

This is an ongoing process and I suppose it would take some more time and efforts before I can feel one with my prosthesis. In an effort to keep myself fit, which has always been my priority right from the time of joining the medical college, though then it was more to do with having so many fairer sex classmates in my batch, then in Army where I took to running and now post amputation, did long distance cycling at Aligarh countryside and now in Pune due to insane traffic, have shifted to walking while going to daily duties. I walk around 4 kms daily six days a week and this has not been easy and have to endure some pain in the stump as the prosthetic stump socket needs further alterations. I am working on it and I am very hopeful that soon I should be able to walk longer, even run again, without discomfort, God willing. I have stopped taking medications for stump pain.

Here I would like to say that good prosthesis are very costly and in our country there is no real support for people who need them but not in a position to afford. The CGHS rates are ridiculously low and are like" Oont ke Munh me Zeera". The Insurance companies are, as their wont is, unwilling to support and try to wiggle out of their contractual obligations. I take this opportunity to name the insurance company whose health policy I was under, at the time of accident. It refused to offer any help for prosthesis rehabilitation hiding itself behind a clause which says, quoting them verbatim "As per policy terms and conditions "cost of spectacles and contact lens, hearing aids, Cochlear implants and procedures, walkers and crutches, wheel chairs, CPAP, BIPAP, Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis, infusion pump and such other similar aids - Code Excl 35".So, the cost of limb prosthesis is not payable". I took them to Insurance ombudsman but I suspect their is a nexus between the officials and the companies, so got no relief. The company just got away with few thousand rupees for emergency treatment. The company is Star Health Insurance but I believe due to poor regulatory environment, all others also work in the same fashion. Now the only avenue left to me is the consumer court.
Overall I feel the world of prosthesis has not kept up with the technological advances humanity has made and is still rudimentary.
My court case has started, the driver responsible for the accident was taken in custody and is on bail. I am suing the vehicles owner for compensation and will also try to pull in the RTO which allowed such a poorly maintained vehicle to ply that too without any registration plates. the hotel will also be sued as it didn't mention anything about the need of a four wheel drive to reach it and go on its website.
Then there is the provision of UDID, unique disability ID card an initiative of GOI, which is just a beginning in the right direction and is not very helpful at the moment. It needs a disability certificate issued from the government hospital for registration and strangely doesn't consider military establishment as worthy enough to issue one. Railways, again wants you to go through the same process of getting another certificate from the government hospital even when one has the UDID in order to provide any benefits to the physically disabled. I have already applied twice and was refused both times. Hope third time proves lucky. Getting the railway concession is a very cumbersome process as its many divisions still do it manually. Recently Delhi High court has given a very strange decision in favour of railways when it was challenged over the need of a new disability certificate again after getting it once for UDID. Perhaps both institutions think the human beings may regrow their amputated limbs like the lizards do with their tails. I am horrified with the prospect of having to take a long train journey, where I might be allotted an upper birth. Hopefully the fellow journeymen would be more understanding than the railways or the high court.
I also find it very perplexing when the government provides relief in GST in vehicle registration only when its length is up to 4 meters and cubic capacity up to 1200, which was not so few years back. Another quixotic thing to say the least is to get highway tolls exempted only if the vehicle belongs to the disabled and an automatic. Perhaps every disabled owns a vehicle and knows to drive as well and never has the need to use taxis.
I also shudder to think what would happen if I am caught in a situation where only an Indian toilet seat is available for my basic body needs. I should be able to come up with the famous Indian jugaad too .

So these are the some of the new challenges which have come in my way, which I am tackling optimistically, persistently and with perseverance.

Coming back to the general life, I have managed to sell my Jeep compass after deciding that it would be risky to drive the manual one. While driving it many a times it happened that when I wanted to use the clutch, my feet pressed the brake pedal. Also pressing the clutch pedal was sometimes difficult if there was a change in the angle and took time. Though I say that driving my Zen was comparatively much easier because first its clutch was light and secondly I could keep my foot on the pedal as its replacement was not costly too. I have not yet bought another car as I commute to my workplace here in Pune by Autos and walking. Therefore I am not in a hurry. I have decided that it has to be a petrol and an automatic one as I would never use the car as a daily driver but only for long rides. It would be clocking 5-6 thousand kms a year. Here my options would be :
In New cars they are-
1. Alcazar petrol DCT, with the hope that the new facelisted one should look differently than the current one in the front looks. I like its rear though, pun intended. The compromise would be driving dynamics and safety.
2. Jimny, I will have to take a proper test ride before I can decide. I find it a bit tinier in size though and no ADAS
3. Elevate- Find its looks unexciting, engine performance can comment after a test ride only.
4. Upcoming 5 door Thar
5. Hyundai Tucson, ideal for me but doesn't make sense what its price is and so little use I have for it.
Preowned Ones:
I think I can take a little risk here as I can save money in buying, which can be utilized for maintenance.
1- Volvo XC60- i always loved its looks and safety record but cant afford to buy a new one. The problem is that once i go back to Aligarh, nearest service centre will be in Delhi and the unknown cost of maintenance.
2- Other vehicles of similar class and properties.

On the travelling front, we the same set of friends who were with me at the time of accident, last year in October went to Srinagar and Pahalgam. We had a lovely time though there was nothing exciting about houseboats as they were just floating stationary on the banks of the lake. But Pahalgam was simply mesmerising, really so beautiful and enchanting. We 10 +1 people( one of our local friend too joined) had a one full independent cottage of the hotel to ourselves and had a lovely blissfull time.Tthe cottage was by the side of the lider river and all around us were snow clad mountains. We also explored the higher reaches and went to a grassy knoll, which was worth taking the risky ride. It was simply out of the world, mind blowing, stunning etc. etc. I must mention here that the part of the horse ride was very scary as there was hardly any space for the horse to put its hoofs on and if there was some it was riddled with ankle deep holes. While on the horse ride we noticed that the water supply line taking drinking water to the town from a lake higher up was bursting at many places, usual government departments' apathy, i suppose. We are planning to go again this year for another trip which might be a foreign locale like Kazakhastan or Turkey or simply might decide to cover the beautiful coastal konkan 500 kms highway in 3-4 days in a tempo traveller or can go to jungle resorts near Ranthambore pr Tadoba animal reserve. Lets see. About my plans to go on trans continental ride with friends on a four wheeler/two wheelers, there is still some time as still I am yet to get comfortable with the prosthesis and also need to convince my friends who might not be so adventure loving.

On exploring the country's deep interiors like chambal ravines or chattisgarh, I think I can do it once I get another vehicle for myself and go back to my parent institution as so many leaves are not there in a corporate setup and prosthetic rehabilitation is still ongoing.

Exploring the mystic side of our world and inhabitation on the earth, meeting Nagas, ASLI Sadhus, Saints is definitely on cards but it has to wait for now.

I think very strongly about environmental conservation especially the wild life, jungles and clean air. How to help in the cause is so far through writing on the social media but wish to take it up further. I feel the wild life from Kanyakumari to Kashmir must be connected through corridors and trees must be protected in cities. My dream is to live by the side of a jungle.

Last but absolutely not the least, starting my own startup is not my dream but a target which definitely needs divine intervention too as though I am very sure that once my instincts and wisdom whatever little I possess, decide the exact thing which I want to do, I would be able achieve it with grit , determination and passion but I need inspiration and the right option and this is where I count on the almighty God. Sometimes i feel that there is a need of a setup where old people can live with dignity and where their all needs especially the medical ones and that too the terminal stages can be met up under one roof. Another need which I can see is again in the healthcare sector where the cost friendliness of the govt. set up and facilities of the private one can be brought together, somewhere midway. How, that's the moot question

By this age I have realised that for any Startup to succeed on a long term basis and progress, the motive must not be only profit generation but bigger. There has to be a will to help others either by employment generation or by coming up with something which helps others. There are many ideas which hit me from time to time but when do I get inspired enough to take the next step is in the realm of unknown.

Let me stop here. I am in Pune for at least a year and looking forward to meeting the fellow BHPians.

Take care and Ride safe.

regards

Mods: Please ensure that this post reaches the maximum people. I am not sure if I should have started new thread to achieve this. Thanks

Last edited by fawad0222 : 3rd March 2024 at 16:04.
fawad0222 is offline   (57) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks