Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2023, 12:03   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Delhi was the most polluted Indian city of 2022 | PM 2.5 levels more than double the safe limit

Experienced it first-hand over a winter visit. For the first time ever in life, I had my eyes burning and throat sore from Delhi's roads. Never going again in winter especially & even if I do, will try my best to avoid congested areas. It was awful.

Delhi was the most polluted Indian city of 2022 | PM 2.5 levels more than double the safe limit-screenshot-20230111-120121.jpg

Quote:
Delhi emerged as the most polluted city in India in 2022 with PM 2.5 levels more than double the safe limit and the third-highest average PM 10 concentration in its air, reported news agency PTI citing an analysis of Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) data.

The toppers

The national capital recorded an average PM 2.5 level of 99.71 micrograms per cubic metre. Haryana's Faridabad (95.64 micrograms per cubic metre) ranked second and Uttar Pradesh's Ghaziabad (91.25 micrograms per cubic metre) third, according to the analysis of CPCB data. Delhi topped the chart for PM 2.5 pollution in 2022 despite improved performance compared to the year 2019 when it had recorded an average PM 2.5 level of 108 micrograms per cubic metre.

In terms of PM 10, Ghaziabad (217.57 micrograms per cubic metre) topped the list. While Faridabad (215.39 micrograms per cubic metre) ranked second, Delhi (213.23 micrograms per cubic metre) stood third. In 2021, Ghaziabad was the most polluted with respect to PM 2.5 levels while it ranked third in terms of PM 10 levels.

Understanding particulate matter

PM 2.5 is tiny particulate matter that is less than 2.5 microns in diameter and can enter the lungs and bloodstream. The country's current annual average safe limits for PM 2.5 and PM 10 are 40 micrograms per cubic metre and 60 micrograms per cubic metre respectively.

The tracker

The analysis, according to PTI, was done by NCAP Tracker - a joint project of news portal Carbon Copy and a Maharashtra-based start-up 'Respirer Living Sciences'. It is designed to track India's progress in achieving clean air targets. The Centre launched the National Clean Air Programme on January 10, 2019 to reduce PM 2.5 and PM 10 levels in 102 cities by 20% to 30% by 2024 (with 2017 being the base year). In September 2022, the government set a new target of a 40% reduction in particulate matter concentration by 2026.
Source - TOI's awesome daily newsletter
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 14:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi was the most polluted Indian city of 2022 | PM 2.5 levels more than double the safe limit

So Delhi is still polluting more and more and there seems to be no reduction. So what has the Government achieved in banning Diesel vehicles over 10 years old and other regulations ? Nothing it seems.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 19:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi was the most polluted Indian city of 2022 | PM 2.5 levels more than double the safe limit

Believing CPCB about pollution is like believing Maruti about safety. There are so many things wrong with this article that it belongs in ToI's hall of fame.
v1p3r is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 15:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
So Delhi is still polluting more and more and there seems to be no reduction. So what has the Government achieved in banning Diesel vehicles over 10 years old and other regulations ? Nothing it seems.
We never know, we are seeing someday AQI levels above 400, may be without the ban it will be all days above 400 in winters. Anyway replacing a BS3 car with BS6 car will not make the city cleaner, as the number of cars are also increasing.
SKC-auto is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 16:20   #5
BHPian

As a Delhite, I have started seriously started thinking about relocating to some other part of the country. I can't imagine what the situation will be like in the next 10yrs. The atrocious air quality is persistent pretty much year round now. No govt, administration or court has been able to suggest and implement a viable solution. The 10/15 yrs NGT ban on petrol and diesel cars has had no impact on the pollution.

I can't imagine the long term consequences of inhaling the poisonous cocktail for years on end. In the best interest of the family, it makes sense to relocate (if possible) out of Delhi.
kushagra452 is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 17:52   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad that this serious issue is slowly getting more attention and popping up in discussions online, the media and in general conversations. Though I think Delhi just has much better monitoring. Am pretty sure the air in most of our cities is, if at not as bad as Delhi's, certainly bad enough to have health-effects over extended periods of time. Posted this on the other pollution-related thread too- during my recent visit to Mumbai, the air pollution there was visibly worse this year. Ironically, one of the reasons was the widespread and ongoing Metro construction - a project that will help control pollution over the next few decades ends up contributing to the air pollution now.

Hope the issue does gain more traction over the next few years and more useful measures are implemented. Starting with better monitoring across all our cities and towns, more AQI monitoring stations. But I fear it will only be over decades, and till then a lot of people are going to suffer. Till then, I think for those fortunate enough to be able to move out of cities, it's certainly starting to look like that makes sense.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 18:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
In the best interest of the family, it makes sense to relocate (if possible) out of Delhi.
I took that decision 4 years back when I moved to Pune from Noida. Pune though not as bad as NCR but its on the same track .

Chose wisely in case you plan to relocate (within India).
shashant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 20:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

When someone landed in Delhi from Bangalore sometime in November, they felt that the air tasted of sugar cane.

From whatever I know of motor vehicles - they do not do that.
Kosfactor is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 01:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
I can't imagine the long term consequences of inhaling the poisonous cocktail for years on end. In the best interest of the family, it makes sense to relocate (if possible) out of Delhi.
PM2.5 of 20-25 ug/m3, which is quite standard in most Indian towns, is the equivalent of smoking 1 cigarette per day. Delhi is often at 250, or 10x, from October to February - it's 190 as I type this. Anyone who lives in Delhi is essentially smoking 10 cigarettes per day. This is compounded if you are a child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Though I think Delhi just has much better monitoring. Am pretty sure the air in most of our cities is, if at not as bad as Delhi's, certainly bad enough to have health-effects over extended periods of time. Posted this on the other pollution-related thread too- during my recent visit to Mumbai, the air pollution there was visibly worse this year. Ironically, one of the reasons was the widespread and ongoing Metro construction - a project that will help control pollution over the next few decades ends up contributing to the air pollution now.
Delhi is by far the worst of the large cities on a yearly average. However, in December/January, due to the changes in wind patterns, Mumbai and Kolkata become worse while Delhi's pollution finally dissipates. The metro construction does not have too much effect on what you think of as pollution - the effect is more of visible dust. Just to reassure you, Bangalore in summer is as clean as London or Paris. In fact, it is the cleanest of all the large cities.

The truth is that the whole vehicle ban thing is eyewash and makes nearly no difference. Without strong political will and enforcement, no city in India will get cleaner anytime soon. Having been in this for 5 years now, I do not have very high expectations. My advice would be to buy masks and air purifiers, and see if you can move to a coastal village or to a developed nation.

Last edited by v1p3r : 13th January 2023 at 01:58.
v1p3r is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 09:14   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Just to reassure you, Bangalore in summer is as clean as London or Paris. In fact, it is the cleanest of all the large cities.
That's reassuring, thanks! Is it because of the larger green cover (relatively, still for a big city)?

Quote:
The truth is that the whole vehicle ban thing is eyewash and makes nearly no difference.
What would then? Even if there is little hope of that happening, would be good to know what can/should be done. Restrict stubble burning? Whole-scale conversion to EVs? Fewer flights and more fast trains? Re-plant contiguous green cover in cities?

Quote:
...you can move to a coastal village...
Sort of what I've been doing actually, since the pandemic and remote work became possible. Been spending most of the year in smaller coastal towns, working out of those places. Visible difference in air quality between these areas and even Bangalore. I'm seriously thinking about never going back to a city ever again. Already taken a pay-cut to move to a job that will continue to remain remote. The trade-off, not just in terms of air quality, but quality of life is already proving worth it.

Last edited by am1m : 13th January 2023 at 09:32.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 10:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Experienced DL last Nov; went to attend a family wedding & had a memorable lesson for life - Never to visit DL again!!
  • From the time I got down at NZM (Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station) & back to boarding Duronto at NZM after 3 days, I was having continuous headache
  • Wife had short lived headaches & burning eyes by every evening
  • On D1 night, I had taken a headache tablet & still I had some uneasiness in head next day only for the headache to return during day 2
  • By chance I had worn a mask on D2 night & was able to sleep properly
  • By sheer magic, after a while we left NZM, the headache disappeared without having to do anything
  • And yes, we wore mask all the time to look like aliens

Reflecting on the trip:
1. the nightmare of DL pollution is more memorable than the memorable wedding
2. The trip taught us that, this could soon catch up with Chennai as well unless we play our part well. Trying to avoid private transports as much as possible & if God willing, we might exchange our SCross with a EV, just because we want to be in that 20% who cares after having witnessed the reality of pollution nightmare!!
3. And my respects to people dwelling in DL

PS - I'm beginning to suspect if the pollution has any adversity on the worst traffic sense

Last edited by aargee : 13th January 2023 at 10:08.
aargee is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 10:23   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just to reassure you, Bangalore in summer is as clean as London or Paris. In fact, it is the cleanest of all the large cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
That's reassuring, thanks! Is it because of the larger green cover (relatively, still for a big city)?
Just realized, it probably has a lot to do with the elevation of 920m. Is that correct?
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 10:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

I speak as an outlier of Delhi who can't even stand a bit of dust.

I just don't understand how people live in DL during winter and do nothing about it. If stubble burning of the cause, why can't it be banned? Does it promote fertility of the land?

Above all, I just can't understand how politicians can be silent about it. Their own life is at stake and all they care about is losing their voter base (irrespective of political parties).

This is the classic case of boiling a frog in water - people have become so used to it and refuse to do anything about it despite slowly dying.

Why isn't anyone trying to build a cost effective machine that can efficiently burn this stubble while producing minimum soot? Why aren't people questioning whether the coal power plants around Delhi meet the emission norms? Banning older cars doesn't make a big difference/no difference evidently.
More than the pollution, I'm shocked at the inaction and lack of upheaval against this attrocity.

My best wishes to the people of Delhi who don't deserve any of this.

Last edited by Turbohead : 13th January 2023 at 10:58.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 12:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
.. If stubble burning of the cause, why can't it be banned?...
It WAS banned. But lakhs of farmers decided they are above the law and continued burning stubble. Then they sat on the roads and forced govt. to make this legal. So, it is no longer a criminal offence. There is a fine of Rs. 2500 - Rs. 15000 per instance of stubble burning; but the last time a surveyor went to check he was held hostage by the farmers.

Quote:
... I just can't understand how politicians can be silent about it. Their own life is at stake and all they care about is losing their voter base (irrespective of political parties)...
They aren't silent. They back farmers who are their voter base. Why are you surprised that all they care is about their voter base?

Quote:
...Why isn't anyone trying to build a cost effective machine that can efficiently burn this stubble while producing minimum soot?...
Who will bear the cost for this? How will you ensure farmers follow this? They don't follow regular rules as of now, or heck, even Supreme Court directions.

Quote:
Why aren't people questioning whether the coal power plants around Delhi meet the emission norms?...
There are 11 coal power plants in 300km radius from Delhi. They contribute to 52% of NOx and 90% of SO2 emissions in Delhi. 5 of them were shut last year on winter due to their impact on pollution.
That said, electricity is more important to people than air, I suppose. That's why the coal plants are still active.

Quote:
...My best wishes to the people of Delhi who don't deserve any of this.
My best wishes too.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 12:32   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Current Aqi in Delhi is hovering around 380-440. We residents of Delhi NCR are just hoping for a bit of rainfall to help bring it down a bit to below 200. But the situation is really bad and it is becoming worse and worse over the years. After living in Delhi Ncr for more than 25+ years now, we feel that we should shift to some other location, but career opportunities are limited. If I had a free choice of location I would have moved lock stock barrel to a place like Kochi or Goa :-)
Behemoth is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks