Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2007, 09:35   #1
BHPian

Google helps burglars

The burglary at Bigg City, formerly Mr. Bigg’s Family Fun Center, turned into a comedy of errors early June 10. The burglars tried to disable a security camera by repeatedly spraying it with WD-40 — it only cleaned the lens — and spent an hour and 15 minutes trying to open three safes, apparently unaware that some types require the dial to be turned two or three times.

They finally did a Google search for “how to open a safe” and “how to crack a safe” on a computer in the next room.

“They’re not professional safe people,” said Colorado Springs police detective Chuck Ackerman. “No, they’re not.”

On the other hand, the Google query apparently worked: The burglars haven’t been caught, and they did get about $12,000.

Source: Gazette

Old 11th July 2007, 09:45   #2
BHPian

Lolz!
U never know, next time on, when they decide to hit a house, they may carry a laptop with wireless net for more tips on how to rob a house
Old 11th July 2007, 13:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is some news. The things you can get access to via the net!! Be careful of the techie types....you have been warned.
Old 11th July 2007, 13:27   #4
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Haha!! Thats really funny..
Google ki Jai ho!!
Old 12th July 2007, 01:32   #5
BHPian

A friend of mine comitted suicide last year and the last thing he did before dying was to look up google for ways to commit suicide and used google maps to zoom in on the location which he chose to end his life. We found the laptop in his room with google maps open.

He could have easily used google to find a psychiatrist or ways to get over suicide thoughts, but he didnt. Technology is a double edged sword.
Old 12th July 2007, 10:58   #6
SRK
Senior - BHPian

That is Bad...Google even helps to kill one??

True..Technology is double edged sword..and both edges are really Sharp!!
Old 12th July 2007, 16:14   #7
BHPian

i think its wrong to blame google either for the robbery or the suicide. Its the same with anything, you can use your car to travel safely and also to run over a person and kill him, does that mean that its the problem of the car? this is the case with everything, its all about the way we use it.
Old 12th July 2007, 19:29   #8
BANNED

Guys, ever seen the uses to which plain, blank paper is put to? Some people pring P0rn on it. Some print test books, others print currency, yet others use it for printing publicity brochures and some of them contain seditious material, while some print magazines, and the list does not end here.
Same way with the net. The net is only a TOOL. You can use the tools for constructive as well as destructive purposes. It is really is up to the user - the human being.
Old 12th July 2007, 20:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

YUP,

tomorrow somebody will say cars help burglars.
Old 12th July 2007, 20:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

It was reported that a group of thieves broke into a house in Florida. The guys had a few tools to help them do the job, but the best thing they had was a laptop. With a wireless connection tap, they were able to keep an eye on the surroundings of the house. They were in the house for 30-40 mins, and since the google updates happen every 4-5mins/at max 10 mins, they were able to make sure that no extra cars came up close to the house { which might prove to be a threat to them}.

Well..thats the way things go. Everything comes at a price..
Old 12th July 2007, 21:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
and since the google updates happen every 4-5mins/at max 10 mins,
you mean google earth? i thot it updates once in a few years or something like that.
Old 12th July 2007, 21:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
you mean google earth? i thot it updates once in a few years or something like that.
oops..my bad. I was thinking about Google earth. As far as I know,satellite pictures are updates every few minutes. If I'm not mistaken, my brother did monitor the surroundings of his house, and he did see a car parked 2 houses away, and he saw it leave at 10.25am.. he had been monitoring the street since 9am and the car was seen in the pictures. At 10.36am, the car wasn't in the pics.

I guess google is the best way to look up anything & everything. Its amazing how so much information can be obtained with this search engine.
Old 12th July 2007, 22:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
oops..my bad. I was thinking about Google earth. As far as I know,satellite pictures are updates every few minutes. If I'm not mistaken, my brother did monitor the surroundings of his house, and he did see a car parked 2 houses away, and he saw it leave at 10.25am.. he had been monitoring the street since 9am and the car was seen in the pictures. At 10.36am, the car wasn't in the pics.

I guess google is the best way to look up anything & everything. Its amazing how so much information can be obtained with this search engine.
No offence but your brother is mistaken. Google India maps have been updated only once as far as I know. Google america maps are updated a bit more frequently but not every 4 - 5 minutes for sure. Some areas are updated frequently and some less frequently. The car in front of my house has been there since last year. It gets very expensive to get satellite maps every few minutes and in any case the satellites take atleast 2 - 3 hours to circle earth once. in other words, it passes over a city once every 2 - 3 hours, so there is no way you can get an update every few minutes.

Last edited by Mayavi : 12th July 2007 at 22:18.
Old 12th July 2007, 22:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
No offence but your brother is mistaken. Google India maps have been updated only once as far as I know. Google america maps are updated a bit more frequently but not every 4 - 5 minutes for sure. Some areas are updated frequently and some less frequently. The car in front of my house has been there since last year. It gets very expensive to get satellite maps every few minutes and in any case the satellites take atleast 2 - 3 hours to circle earth once. in other words, it passes over a city once every 2 - 3 hours, so there is no way you can get an update every few minutes.

makes sense..I'll check with my brother. Like I said, I might be wrong with the update frequency.
Old 12th July 2007, 23:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
. It gets very expensive to get satellite maps every few minutes and in any case the satellites take atleast 2 - 3 hours to circle earth once. in other words, it passes over a city once every 2 - 3 hours, so there is no way you can get an update every few minutes.
comedy of scietific errors.

most of the satellites are (almost) geostationary.

2-3 hours to circle the earth, can you imagine the speed if they really did?
fastest planes take 15 hrs to reach India from US.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks