Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2023, 15:12   #1
BHPian

Enterprise Car Rental - Zurich and traffic fines

Hello everyone,

I had been to Zurich (Kloten airport) in November 2022 and rented a car for a single day. This was last week of November and in January 2023 I received a message where the agency was trying to charge my card and immediately an email was triggered to me which said I had to pay some fee for processing charges since I had traffic violations in my rental duration and this was the fee for providing my details to Zurich police.

I haven't received anything from Zurich police but Enterprise is threatening with legal action since the first email if I don't pay this charge. I asked for proof but they said we cannot share due to data protection reasons! I mean I am not asking for anyone else's data right. Is this the usual case or a scam?
ronford is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 15:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Enterprise Car Rental - Zurich and traffic fines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronford View Post
I haven't received anything from Zurich police but Enterprise is threatening with legal action since the first email if I don't pay this charge. I asked for proof but they said we cannot share due to data protection reasons! I mean I am not asking for anyone else's data right. Is this the usual case or a scam?
This is not Scam.

This is a usual way how Traffic fines are reported in Europe, Car rent company receives the details from Police, and they charge you admin charges for each Traffic violation.

Then you have to log into Police website and pay the fine entering your car details. Police also sends you details of fine, last date of payment or any discount through email or by post.

If you don't pay traffic violation during some duration, they will hand-over to recovery agent in your country. If you still dont pay, it might remain in police records and might get notified even when you process Visa next time.

This is what we read in all the blogs about driving in Europe, traffic fine, etc. People get traffic fines report after 1 year also..

So next step is to search for the violation in Swizz police website, and pay the traffic fine, if you are going to visit Europe again. Dont want my name to be in police records if I am applying and visiting Europe again. Similarly you have to pay Admin charges of rental company also, maybe they will file a case, since you would have agreed to pay this when you signed on rental contract.

Most people advise to pay admin charges and Traffic fine, if you plan to visit the country/Europe again..

Last edited by shamanth : 16th February 2023 at 15:33.
shamanth is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed