Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cheap & disappointing | Kia Carnival owner steals flower pots set up for G20 event

I am not surprised at all. These people take such things as entitlements and assume no one would care. After watching videos of Merc owners/small time politicians fighting with toll booth employees for a puny 30/- and 50/-, this is hardly surprising at all. But, there are cameras all around now, so it's fun to see them caught in the act!
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:21   #32

Re: Cheap & disappointing | Kia Carnival owner steals flower pots set up for G20 event

we get the politicians we deserve.

When I was younger, and was lamenting the state of corruption in India, my senior made a comment which has been with me since.

The reason there is so much corruption in the political class, is because, the people who elect them, 'tolerate' corruption...and expect it.

Societal norms dictate, that some amount of corruption is inevitable...and this video is the perfect example of that.

But I'm optimistic.

The younger generation will not tolerate these kind of shenanigans
treyazaghtoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:25   #33
BHPian

Thievery isn't restricted to any class/gender. Anyone can turn out as a thief. Some wouldn't care if their minor loot even grievously injures someone else.

Slightly different POV : Why would people do this to their cars ? Companies spend crores to tune the suspension & design of the components around the suspension.

I understand if one shovel & a few hardware tools are transported once in a while. Dash-cams should become compulsory to catch more such madness.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 2nd March 2023 at 12:27.
Old 2nd March 2023, 13:10   #34
BHPian

Reminds me of Narayan Murthy's recent statement about how people break rules at traffic intersections. His logic is if we cant wait for lights where there is nothing in return how will we perform when there are incentives to break the law like bribe and corruption.
In this case it seemed like there was free incentive
PreludeSH is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 14:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Two people were in the video - the younger man who is a famous YouTuber (among other things) has not been arrested and only the other person has been hauled in.

https://www.businesstoday.in/visuals...519-01-03-2023
Umm. I have no idea who the Youtube guy Elvish Yadav is, but there is really nothing in the link you shared which says that the younger guy is him. On the other hand, it says that these theories are going on on the internet, which are denied by Yadav. The post by Yadav, as included in your link, also says he plans on suing anyone spreading misinformation against him.
You sure sharing that link with that caption is the most appropriate thing to do?

Personally, I do not find any similarity between this guy and the guys in the video. The link also mentions that the theory of his involvement is purely based upon the fact that he had used this particular car in one of his videos. Nothing credible, imo.

Last edited by N.A.GTC : 2nd March 2023 at 14:02.
N.A.GTC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 14:22   #36
BHPian

I am often faced with a similar conundrum whenever I see people driving on the wrong side of the road. Contrary to the belief, its not only the people from the lower strata of the society but equally the so called convent educated and high flying types who do this so unabashedly. Its this very same sick mentality, this false sense of privilege and entitlement that makes them think of saving a few pennies, all at the cost of risking lives on the road. It doesn't get any more painfully cringe worthy to witness the shameless argue over their mistakes giving arguments on why breaking the law is their birth right.

Think of it, with what face are we going to teach the coming generations when we ourselves haven't even adopted the basics of standing and moving in a queue; a simple queue?

Youtuber Elvish Yadav has nothing to do with the men or the vehicle forming part of the incident. He may have been friends with the son of the owner of this vehicle but definitely not these two men who look well in their 50s. The Gurugram police has also cleared the same in their statement to the press. But when aren't we all too quick to jump on to conclusions, often proven false but well suiting our personal inclinations?

Last edited by Herschey : 2nd March 2023 at 14:40.
Herschey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 14:37   #37
BHPian

In a parallel universe - A good citizen from Gurgaon, parked his car, and donated his house plants for the beautification of the city ahead of the G20 meet. Truly inspirational!

https://twitter.com/GabbbarSingh/sta...238468096?s=20
Thilak29 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 14:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
On a lighter note... I have old Air India and Sahara airlines solid steel knifes in my kitchen cupboard. Wonder who "accidentally" brought them home. not me!
Some of the airline used cutlerys (steel, glass ones) are sold by airlines to market vendors. You may occasional find them at street vendors in full sets as well. So not necessary stolen
dipen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 14:55   #39
BHPian

Today I saw many saplings under the Merto (Andheri - Ghatkoper line) which were placed a day before PM Modi's Visit for inauguration of Dawoodi Bohra community's Arabic Academy in Andheri (E) Mumbai.

Last month when these were placed, it was looking really beautiful. However, all the saplings/ plants/ flowers etc have now died.

I am of the view that, at least someone took them home and took care of the plants which would have otherwise died. As these are temporary beautification and no one takes care once the event is over.

Note: I don't support theft of public property .

Last edited by goenkakushal : 2nd March 2023 at 15:00.
goenkakushal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 15:04   #40
BHPian

Really disappointing, but great to see KIA quick to update their specifications with regards to boot space.
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap & disappointing | Kia Carnival owner steals flower pots set up for G20 event-03b09069a22748ea94dc081230af9391.jpeg  

Old_Salt is offline   (91) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 16:27   #41
BHPian

HAHAHAHA!!!... I laughed so much I got tears in my eyes. About a month or so ago when the G20 circus rolled into Pune, my friends were discussing the reason why the pots and decorations etc were kept just a couple of days before the summit. They had all the time in the world to do it! One suggested because they will disappear before the summit itself. And we all laughed saying India has changed now...
And now this video, NO we haven't changed much deep inside. Fancy cars don't change people. Just the amount of fancy cars cruising around malls trying to avoid paying parking is proof, we haven't changed much. Or the hotel towels, toiletries...and so on. Tough to correct when the creamy layer particularly indulges in this.
Maybe we will change, someday.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd March 2023 at 04:44. Reason: Fixed post formatting.
jazzrockz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 16:45   #42
BHPian

Anything that's not nailed down and/or chained will be stolen! Period.
I have also unfortunately faced thefts of statues, flowerpots at my house. While the finger of suspicion points to a certain neighbour, never did figure out who was the hood in the neighborhood.
This POP statue costed me a mere Rs200-250 @ Hyderabad on one of my visits and I liked the artists work too. Picked a couple of them, incase one broke while driving down. Both got stolen within a month. A few pots also did a disappearing act.This portion of my garden is not under CC TV too and didn't want to bother getting an additional one installed.
The same goes for the mangoes, guavas and papayas too. I saw a few construction labourers picking few mangoes last summer, but I let it slide. The poor guys looked sheepish and I didn't have the heart to take the fruits back.
But the theft of the statues and the pots did cause heartburn, albeit mildly!
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap & disappointing | Kia Carnival owner steals flower pots set up for G20 event-img_20230302_162549.jpg  

Passatman is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 16:54   #43
BHPian

While seeing the decorations with these pots I told my wife that they will mostly go to local administration officers houses after the event as we know the mentality but never did I imagine a Kia Carnival owner stealing them in broad day light. I think a-lot comes with sense of entitlement and getting away after breaking rules or breaking rules simply to show off connections and power. The fact that stealing and breaking the law is so normal here that I would reserve kleptomania for those proven with the condition
Urorobo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 18:14   #44
BHPian

Recently I had made a trip in Duronto Exp First A/C, the person who handles the blankets was upset as he complained to me (I had asked why is he collecting the bed sheets and blankets 3 hrs ahead of destination), that someone has nicked the hand towels/bed sheets that they provide, and he also retrieved the blanket from another passenger's bag in the group (explanation given was that he "thought" it is for take away) ! He was upset that he will get a fine of 600/- for the missing items whereas he will be earning around 1500/- for his duties ! Due to this he had started pestering others for all items collection 2-3 hrs before destination. This disease is quite widespread in India.
masterChief007 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 19:02   #45
BHPian

What was going in his mind while doing this act ?

1. Am I stealing anything ??? ... NO

2. Should I steal this ??? ... Oh Yes I'm entitled.

3. What if I get caught ??? ... Nah... no way in a country with these many problems no one is going to care for few gamlas

4. What am I planning to do with all these gamlas ??? ... No idea.. but let me steal it first and decide later

5. What if people watch me during the act??? ... I'm rich and no one is going to care and if not me someone else will take them home.

6. Ghar Wale kya bolenge ??? they will be proud of me for saving few bucks and protecting these gamlas from sun.

Note : Members be very careful of what you do infront of your kids ... They are going to do the same and feel normal about it.
FalconRed is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed