Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2023, 12:57   #31
BHPian

Re: The Guitar Solo Thread

Wonderful thread!

Having a personal collection of 1000s of English songs from the 80s, there are simply too many to list here. A few stand out though, just off the top of my head:

1. Rush - Chemistry (3:57 - 4:43)

Alex Lifeson just outdoes himself here:

2. Dream Theater simply has too many to list, but here's a small one. Pull me Under (5:23 - 6:33)

3. Mark Knopfler and Chet Atkins - Poor Boy Blues (2:30 - till end). This is not really a solo, but a duo (yes, I'm cheating! But the sublime art that these two geniuses showcase, is something not to be missed)

4. Joe Satriani - Flying in a Blue Dream. The master of lightning fast fingers. No solo parts here, the whole track is Solo guitaring

Last edited by PearlJam : 6th March 2023 at 13:00.
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 13:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

If soft electric allowed?

The first 3.30 minutes only. You can skip the review. Talent is in his hands. Not in guitar.

In my case I saved the spotify link for playing it on loop while I work.
https://open.spotify.com/track/4oQ8AjIgHrKvHy0GnjpTjL

This is the reason I still gather myself up after missing few days of practice and start again.
download2live is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 14:49   #33
BHPian

One of my all time favorites is the ending solo of 'Tunnel of love' by Dire Straits. So emotional and tugs at your heart strings. The link below is a cover. This solo is so underrated and is a great example of how solos don't have to be fast to be great!

Arun Varma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 20:20   #34
BHPian

This topic brings back memories of the times when I used to stand in front row central position whenever there was a rock concert held at Palace grounds Bangalore. Fortunate enough to witness Iron Maiden Live thrice, Metallica, GunsnROses, Sepaltura etc.
Listing a few of my favourites:

1.Iron Maiden- Aces High
2. Iron Maiden- Judas be my guide
3. Judas Priest: The Hellion
4. Metallica: I dissapear
5. Metallica: Ride the Lightning

There are a lot more but this place is too small to discuss. Perhaps we can meet over some beer and music and have a conversation.
autohead666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 13:25   #35

Being an alterative/grunge guy, I have a lot of personal favorites that I can share, which most members will be aware of.
But I'm sharing the song "Someday" by Flipsyde where the acoustic guitar solo really stands out and has been my favorite ever since I heard it. Still get goosebumps no matter the nth time I listen.

The solo starts at 2:10

Old 8th March 2023, 21:47   #36
BHPian

Almost forgot, this one is for old f1 fans, still get goosebumps when watching old races and the intro music which is the solo from this song, starts.
Old 9th March 2023, 17:03   #37
BHPian

There are guitar solos from some of the greatest guitarists of the times - the Jimmy Pages, the Brian Mays, the Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton and the list can go on and on. One of the most underrated guitarists of the time was Prince. He was such an accomplished master on multiple instruments, but some of his best skills were seen on a guitar. Unfortunately not too many. Here is a glimpse of his guitar-shredding skills

And how can one miss this one. Check out till the end and that's where the magic starts. Around 3.30 mark

subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 17:28   #38
BHPian

Some more solos which never achieved main stream success

Dogs - David made the guitar cry and weep with his solo on this song from Animals. Listen from the 5.30 mark

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird , such a promising career which got cut short. Listen around the 6m mark

SRV - Another one gone and another one bites the dust. He played the blues and my how did he play it. This one has some amazing intro and solo
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 11:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Suggestion to the OP for posting a summarized info on the first post of videos already posted to avoid duplication

Some random suggestions that come to mind would be:

Megadeth: Angry Again (From the Last Action Hero OST)

A really well laid out solo by Marty that really fits in the song.

EMF: Unbelievable

One crazy one hit wonder song, this 90's banger was amazing and the solo is just chaos

Molly Hatchet: Fall of the peacemakers

What to say? Epic song and epic guitarwork \m/

deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 19:07   #40
BHPian

Cool thread this!

I've actually been compiling a playlist of songs with my favourite guitar riffs in them. Happy to share that if anyone would like to have a listen.

Thought I'd include one of my standout ones:

Need to revisit that playlist in full again and find some more of the out of the way gems I've discovered over the years.

Noticed Polyphia on here and they were a band that I stumbled across last year in a similar manner.

For those who like their fare a bit heavier, here's an absolute favourite of mine:
ads11 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks