Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2007, 20:23   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Here's one from me... is there any rule to determine which is the correct ending for words that end in -ence or -ance?
Can you elaborate further?
Old 16th July 2007, 20:51   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Type O, there is no need to hate it. Anyways is a perfectly acceptable word in modern English.
I have my reservations on this one. Anyways is often listed as archaic/colloquial/dialect version of anyway. I think it's a very bad word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I understand what Sam and Hydra are saying here, just wanted to put in my 2 cents in this discussion by saying that for us English is a 'tool'. A means to an end. And hopefully nothing more.
Why? I speak English as my primary language, at home and out. I was brought up speaking English. To me, English is my mother tongue. Why should I not be proud to speak it well? Is there something in the law that says otherwise?

Quote:
... but there are a lot of young uns in our society for whom a perception might spread that speaking the English language properly is more important than anything else. Lest their priorities get misplaced, I had to put in my piece.
Quote:
the college and school going crowd esp the excitable young men and women speak English in a manner way too fast for anyone else except for a fellow Indian college-school goer to follow. This also applies to correspondents/newscasters/presenters who often speak into the mic/camera as if they are addressing a fellow college going teenie bopper.
I'm sorry to bring this up, but your talk of young uns and teenie boppers and college goers sounds a little like you're talking down.
Old 16th July 2007, 20:57   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I have my reservations on this one. Anyways is often listed as archaic/colloquial/dialect version of anyway. I think it's a very bad word.
Threepio, anyways is colloquial/dialect and informal. Not archaic. It's a new word, how can it be archaic? It's not as nice as anyway, but anyway is not an orthodox word either.
Old 16th July 2007, 21:08   #94
Joz
BHPian

Very nice thread Sam.

Quote:
Can you elaborate further?
Assuming you are expecting him to explain further and not that you are questioning his ability to do so, is the above sentence right?
Old 16th July 2007, 21:09   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

ance or ence? liker performance, sentence... --- maybe I'm just getting them all wrong?

Could be >Blush<
Old 16th July 2007, 21:13   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
Very nice thread Sam.

Assuming you are expecting him to explain further and not that you are questioning his ability to do so, is the above sentence right?

Caught out there!

But this has certainly become acceptable usage. What should we say...

Would you explain further?

Maybe?
Old 16th July 2007, 21:20   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I believe so. I wanted to know if it was possible for him to elaborate.
It might have been more polite to use could though.

Could you elaborate? Still means the same, in the sense of questioning his ability to explain further. But in either case, the usage was to request for an elaboration.

And as you can see, our dear Thad has done very little of that. But he does look cute blushing lol.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 16th July 2007 at 21:21.
Old 16th July 2007, 21:26   #98
Joz
BHPian

Thanks Sam.

Actually I was stumped by a similar sentence while preparing for the GMAT. I gave up after asking for the right usage with a couple of friends.
Old 16th July 2007, 21:58   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Oh dear; That's Pink Floyd... That's British!
I know, that's why I said it was 'primarily' American. Somehow, I have not come across this mistake in my conversations with Brits till date. Nevertheless, this is purely my observation and I might be wrong.
Old 16th July 2007, 22:06   #100
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Nice!

English lectures were always boring for me.

I will try to give up my habit of using too many fullstops, I didn't know it was banned to use (....),I think thats the reason I got an infraction(hehe).

Last edited by SRK : 16th July 2007 at 22:09.
Old 16th July 2007, 22:08   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Nice!
English lectures were always boring.

I will try to give up my habit of using too many fullstops, I didn't know it was banned to use (....),I think thats the reason I got an infraction(hehe).
And now I am really, really happy we have this thread. Thank you SRK for the kind words
Old 16th July 2007, 22:50   #102
BHPian

Quote:
The Exclamation:.
While the verb is to exclaim, the second i is dropped in exclamation (just like explanation)

What is most obvious, is the sign (!)

What is often overdone unfortunately, is the usage. Please use it judiciously. Too many, or in the wrong context may be an eyesore. It's fine to say "Oh! I didn't know that." But please avoid "May his soul rest in peace!!! " lol

Sam, You have the Midas touch out here(Unofficially!) and it has got a lot to do with your quality of posts filled with the right amount of humour.

A quick doubt in the above sentence.Should the usage be like ".. posts filled with the right amount of humour." or Should it be ".. posts filled with right amounts of humour."

You say avoid too many exclamation marks.

How about if I use it in this context. "Veerappan was shot dead in a shootout today. The dreaded Brigand is no more.May his soul rest in peace!!!".

Here I dont intend for his soul to rest in peace and have used the additional exclamation marks to convey the opposite meaning. Some of you might agree and some might not.

Also, I like posts which are formatted well i.e, with proper spacings and basic grammar.
Old 16th July 2007, 22:58   #103
BHPian

One most common mistake that I have come across in our land is with the usage of the word "Salon" which is correct and wrongly spelt and used as "Saloon" almost everywhere. It has a single O and pronounced as Syallun. Hope am not wrong.
Old 16th July 2007, 23:30   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very nice thread Sam.

I would either say
(in a respectful manner) would you be kind enough to elaborate ? (or)
(in a matter of fact manner) could you elaborate ? (or)
(in a matter of fact manner with a little bit of grace) could you please elaborate?

P.S. Sam, i did not refer this time.
cheers
Old 16th July 2007, 23:37   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
It has a single O and pronounced as Syallun. Hope am not wrong.
With the single O is correct, if you are referring to a place where you would get a haircut or manicure. However it is a french word and pronounced in a french way. Like you would say Sallow (with a slight nasal sound at the end).

A saloon is what they had in the cowboy movies. A nice big bar with guns, a piano and some pretty wenches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks