Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2007, 22:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Why Overdrive Does not mention the source of Spy pics??

well this is a very serious question for me. i send spy photos to Autocar and also Overdrive. while Autocar is very friendly. after publishing the pic they say thanks, they always mention sourse of spy pics and even they give something to the photographer.
but about Overdrive, well when i informed them about my spy pics by mail , they replyed me and asked for my spy pics. so one of my spy pic(Ingineo's dashboard) got published in OD's feb 2007 issue. but they didnt mention the sourse. so i asked them by a mail about the sourse or Credit.. they didnt reply me. again same thing happend. OD published my 2 spy pics( Tata Globus and Bajaj bike) in July 2007 Issue. again there was no sourse. so i mailed them 4 times in good manner. But they didnt reply to my single mail. so atlast i asked them in a bit rude language. but still i am waiting for OD's reply
i dont know why Overdrive act like this.if they want photos they always reply to mail. but they never give credit. they are 'thieving imbeciles' now the respect whatever i was having for Overdrive is now gone .
what should i do now?? please suggest me friends i hope Overdrive will check this post and will learn something.
Old 15th July 2007, 22:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

They're unprofessional, from what you say. Next time send them a grievance email with all previous emails pertaining to this subject attached; while telling and showing them that you are CC-ing this email to the local newspaper's editor, as a plea for justice.

And next time, stop sending any pics to OD - unless they're paying you for it and agree to give credit where due
Old 15th July 2007, 23:03   #3
Team-BHP Support

You have tried the nice way now to lay down your terms. First the green and then the pics. one hand give one hand take.
Old 15th July 2007, 23:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Simple.Tell autocar this.Tell them you will send the pics exclusively to them and ask them to publish that fact.OVerdrive wont know what hit them.
Old 15th July 2007, 23:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what should i do now?? please suggest me friends i hope Overdrive will check this post and will learn something.
Post this up on the Overdrive Forum. They'll surely notice.
Old 16th July 2007, 00:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Simple.Tell autocar this.Tell them you will send the pics exclusively to them and ask them to publish that fact.OVerdrive wont know what hit them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
tusky, while you post, make sure you give them this link too.

Magazines wont want negative publicity, and they are sure to respond.
Old 16th July 2007, 01:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Tushky, I think you need to be a bit smarter with your pics. You have EXCLUSIVE pictures with you which even the photographers from the magazine havent been able to take. IMO these pictrues are worth a lot. Get a contract or a job with one of the magazines and you may even be paid for your pictures. Dont send your pictures to the magazine and then expect them to be nice enough to quote you as the source. If all you want is recognition, stop sending OD the pictures and keep sending them to Autocar.
Old 16th July 2007, 10:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
hmm this can be good idea. i am going to do this.

and yes, i will give post Tbhp link too.
Old 16th July 2007, 10:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
stop sending OD the pictures and keep sending them to Autocar.
well i have already stoped sending pics to overdrive. the pics in july issue are 2 months old.
Old 16th July 2007, 11:03   #10
BHPian

Next time you send pictures to a magazine and only want name credit for it, not cash, then you can watermark the image in a way that they cannot remove it. Here is an example: http://media.bharat-rakshak.com/aero...2/P1000842.jpg

This was done after an image by this photographer was published in a 'reputed' magazine with no credit whatsoever. IIRC the photographer sued the magazine and the case is still pending. If Overdrive wants a unmarked picture, you can always send them the original after receiving proper compensation
Old 16th July 2007, 11:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

hey mayavi the link is not opening.
yes i will do that.thanks neways.
Old 16th July 2007, 14:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
i dont know why Overdrive act like this.if they want photos they always reply to mail. but they never give credit. they are 'thieving imbeciles' now the respect whatever i was having for Overdrive is now gone .
'thieving imbeciles' they sure are. During the last few months of my subscription, I was getting my copy only after lodging complaint regarding non-receipt. I'm happy not to renew the subscription.

Since you take the pictures yourself without being commissioned by anyone to do so, you are the 'author' and owner of copyright in them. As the author of these pics, you are entitled to certain special rights under Section 57 of the Copyright Act. These rights include the right of attribution, i.e. the right to claim authorship of the work. This right is available to you even after you have sold your copyright in return for money.

Send them a scary legal notice and they sure will listen. If they don't (quite unlikely), you can get an order from court.
Old 16th July 2007, 14:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
hey mayavi the link is not opening.
yes i will do that.thanks neways.
As a parting shot, send them a spy shot with "tuskhy 2007" scribbled all over the pic.. Lets see if they can remove it
Old 16th July 2007, 15:06   #14
BHPian

hmmm...strange. i had sent a pic for the backsection (the funny section or woteva..)
the pic got posted along with my name too.. but then why not urs?that too twice! is it that they want to take all the credit?
Old 16th July 2007, 16:18   #15
Team-BHP Support

BunnyPunia, in your case, it wasnt a scoop. Scoops are indeed big for the auto magz, and they try to make it look like they found these pics.

Most Viewed