Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2007, 13:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Taking cars to high speeds

Last week, a friend of mine, went to Bangalore on his 6 month old GETZ, which had completed 7000 odd kms. He has learnt driving just before he bought his Getz, so we all know how experienced he was.

While narrating about his trip, he was mentioning that he hit a top speed of 150 kms/hr on an empty stretch. I checked with him whether he's confident of emergency stopping at such high speed & he replied in positive.

I have a question to fellow bhp'ians, Is it possible to do an emergency stopping while doing speeds at 140+ ( let's say we ride a B/B+ or C segment car)

What I meant by emergency stopping is the need to stop the car within 100 mtrs. Let the situation be local boys running across the roads, bunch of buffalo's blocking the road etc etc

Another question is that taking cars to high speeds requires just guts or skill or luck or anything else or combination of all
Old 16th July 2007, 14:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Going at 140Kmph & if you don't even have 100m visibility, that is a recipe for disaster. At this speed, you should have at least 1/2 km of clear vision (180 Deg), else slow down to stoppable speeds.

Taking the car to that speeds requires any or all of the following
1. Skilled driver
2. Decent car
3. Need for Speed
4. Foolish Inexperienced driver
5. False bravado.
Old 16th July 2007, 14:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

From an observer's point of view, when someone else is doing high speeds, its 90% luck and 10% guts.
From the point of view of someone who is doing high speeds, its 90% skill, 10% guts.

In reality, its 100% arrogance.
Old 16th July 2007, 14:06   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Any car can be taken to the max, but more importantly one should know to stop it too. So this involves the need of good brakes, grippy tires, good suspension work and to top it all good judgement. Not to mention a good driver.

One has to learn to look far into the horizon to judge the traffic conditions, road conditions and such. Having a sound judgement goes a long way in helping things. Also one must understand the handling of the car. Sudden braking and swerving of a FWD will only means loosing the rear end out. Wise thing to do is get to engine braking with a steady foot on the brakes and not overcook it. Also, see if you can figure out which would be the right way to swerve in case of those real emergencies. Most times gut instinct pays off.

That said its always advisable to know your limits and also that of the car and respect both to avoid trouble.
Old 16th July 2007, 14:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Engine braking + foot braking should stop the car quicker than just normal braking. Stopping distance may not be generalized due to various factors such as tyres, car aerodynamics, road conditions etc.

Last edited by theMAG : 16th July 2007 at 14:14.
Old 16th July 2007, 14:15   #6
BHPian

Ask yourself this question, "What is the worst thing that could happen?" Then be ready with a solution. If you don't see any, better slow down
Old 16th July 2007, 14:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

get some practice on some deserted roads or a race track and explore the upper limits of the car so that you have a good idea about the handling of the car and react accordingly during panic situations. Experience and judgement never to take your car close to or over its limits is what counts according to me

@ amitoj : LOL very true also

Last edited by bottle : 16th July 2007 at 14:20.
Old 16th July 2007, 14:18   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
From an observer's point of view, when someone else is doing high speeds, its 90% luck and 10% guts.
From the point of view of someone who is doing high speeds, its 90% skill, 10% guts.

In reality, its 100% arrogance.

Well said. However, reality is that none of us think about this when needed.
Old 16th July 2007, 14:22   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
get some practice on some deserted roads or a race track and explore the upper limits of the car so that you have a good idea about the handling of the car and react accordingly during panic situations.
I am sure not many will agree with me. But this is the main intention of track days. To make each one of us better drivers, make us understand not only the limits of our own cars but also our own. I can bet that every person who has attended a single track can proudly come out and say he has learnt a lot which he couldn't have figured in more than 10,000kms of driving on highways or cities.
Old 16th July 2007, 14:37   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

If some is stuck in a situation wherein he needs to bring the car to a standstill and does not have 1/2km, it surely is as E_L said is a call from hell. However, the driver if has the basic presence of mind and guts should be doing the following

a) Hold the steering wheel tight ( to ensure pointing the car straight as much as its possible)
b) stand on the brake pedal with right foot
c) Depress clutch and downshift the gears and release the clutch immediately
d) Mouth Prayers at the same time and if he comes out unscathed, should kick himself in the butt and promise not to go over confidence inspiring speed limits
Old 16th July 2007, 14:44   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
a) Hold the steering wheel tight ( to ensure pointing the car straight as much as its possible)
b) stand on the brake pedal with right foot
c) Depress clutch and downshift the gears and release the clutch immediately
d) Mouth Prayers at the same time and if he comes out unscathed, should kick himself in the butt and promise not to go over confidence inspiring speed limits
Easier way is get Neova's and go from 200-120kmph in under 7 secs .
Old 16th July 2007, 14:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

We all know how quick we cover distances doing speeds at 140 kmph (around 2+ kms/sec). Hence practically it's impossible to predict/watch someone's movement into the road given the conditions of our highways. Hence all of sudden you see something inbetween your way......

My guess is that chances are minimal to stop the car (b/b+/c) within a distance of 100 mts from those high speeds. Hence my impression is people who do high speeding rely more on luck.

PS: I dont know anything about stopping distance theory.
Old 16th July 2007, 15:07   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
We all know how quick we cover distances doing speeds at 140 kmph (around 2+ kms/sec)
Whoaa, i dont think it would be 2+kms per sec. I reckon you mean 2+kms per minute? Isnt it?
Old 16th July 2007, 15:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
We all know how quick we cover distances doing speeds at 140 kmph (around 2+ kms/sec)..
2+ km/sec . Is it a typo?
I think it should be 2+km/min. You should be travelling at mach 2 to go at 2+km/sec.

Coming to the topic. I tend to drive my car to the limit everytime i hit a highway. But i make sure the following are in order before i do that.
1. My passengers are Ok with it.
2. A clear piece of road with atleast 1/2 km of visibility. That involves watching out for that no jay walkers on the road or trying to enter the road.
3. My car's condition and respecting her limits.
4. Absolute focus. It helps a lot and prepares you to stand on brakes the moment you feel somethings not quite right.
Old 16th July 2007, 15:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Whoaa, i dont think it would be 2+kms per sec. I reckon you mean 2+kms per minute? Isnt it?

Heeehheeeeeee Sorry man, desperately wanted to prove something

Most Viewed