Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2023, 20:56   #1
BHPian

Go Air wants to charge me for name change on a flight ticket

Hello Everyone, I want all your suggestions for the problem I am facing right now.

I have booked the ticket with Go Air from Delhi to Phuket for April 1st and will return on the 9th of April 2023. The flight was canceled from the Go Air side due to operational reasons, and my ticket was shifted to the 2nd of April 2023.

Problem: I have two words in my given name " ABCD XYZ" and do not have a surname mentioned in my passport, as my full name is written in my given name only. There are no clear instructions on Go Air Website and No Surname is mentioned as "ABC" on their website.

I booked the flight with my name "ABCD XYZ" in the given name (as mentioned in my passport) and "ABCD" in my surname as I was unable to book the ticket with an empty Surname column.
I was able to book the ticket with the same, and everything was fine.
After a few days I was booking another ticket on British Airways and while reading their Instructions I found out that If you have two given names like my case "ABCD XYZ" then you have to mention both on Surname and not just "ABCD" on the BA website.

After booking this ticket, I just thought to call Go Air and confirm the same, as there were no clear instructions on the GOAIR website.

When I called them, they told me that you have to mention both names the same as per British Airways instructions only.
I told them to either add my second given name "XYZ" behind "ABCD" or erase "ABCD" too.

The customer care representative told me that they can do that, but they will charge me 7500 rupees and have to change the name on the return ticket too. I have asked them as there are no clear instructions on your website, and I am not changing the name; I am just requesting that you add the surname the same as my first name.

I am not selling the ticket or transferring my tickets. Therefore, you guys should help your customers rather than be greedy and try to extract every single penny from them .

The team leader Akshay called me and was rude while explaining the same. I don't understand why airlines have become so greedy, especially in India, and why they do not want to help out customers at all.

I would appreciate if you guys could give me some advice on same.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th March 2023 at 09:17. Reason: Removing PNR no.
rpmmachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 09:13   #2
BHPian

re: Go Air wants to charge me for name change on a flight ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post
Give this a try. Works wonders, especially when you contact the nodal officer.

I have done a name change with Indigo and while it took time to do it, it didn't cost me anything.
vinu_h is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 09:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have been keeping Go Air at arms length ever since I had faced their incompetency and lacklasaidal attitude during my Kashmir trip in 2019. They seems to never learn from their mistakes. The ground staff is utterly hopeless giving parroted answers to the punctuality. I hope you get the resolution at the earliest.

Not that market leader Indigo is any better and seems to be moving in the Go Air direction.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 10:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

For some weird reason, all airlines are extremely stoic when it comes to making changes to the passenger name; even if it is outrightly clear that the intention is to correct someone's mistake and not transfer the seat to someone else. Don't think the situation would be different with any other airline.

Try the option that @vinu_h has suggested. Else better cut losses early and not let this spoil your holiday plans.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 19:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Go Air wants to charge me for name change on a flight ticket

Sorry if I sound stupid, but what if the name is left unchanged.

Would the OP not be allowed to travel if the name on Ticket is ABCD XYZ ABCD?
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 22:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Give this a try. Works wonders, especially when you contact the nodal officer. I have done a name change with Indigo and while it took time to do it, it didn't cost me anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Try the option that @vinu_h has suggested. Else better cut losses early and not let this spoil your holiday plans.
Lucky you are @vinu_h, I have sent two emails to the Nodal officer in the last 8 days. Go Air Nodal Officer didn't even bother to reply, Nothing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Would the OP not be allowed to travel if the name on Ticket is ABCD XYZ ABCD?
As per Customer care, "There would be a problem" and no detailed explanation about the problem.
Old 29th March 2023, 02:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post

The team leader Akshay called me and was rude while explaining the same. I don't understand why airlines have become so greedy, especially in India, and why they do not want to help out customers at all.

Unfortunately it is the way of their business model. Lack of stringent rules? Maybe!?

Let me share a similar ordeal. Last December (2022) we were off to Bali for my honeymoon and on my wife's passport her name was ABCD LMN XYZ. Booked the tickets and sent the pdf to her over WhatsApp with a wide grin. The first thing she replied was "my name is incomplete"
While booking, Air Asia X to be precise, I forgot to mention the middle name (LMN). I frantically called up the Air Asia X, IIRC, it took me 40+ minutes to connect with them and explained my mistake!

She calmly reassured that I'll be assisted upon giving my PNR and all the details for verification. Then she tells me that since I've booked the flight from their app, I get a "FREE" name change facility applicable once! I didn't give it much thought then and asked her to update.

Then a couple of days later, I was just going through the ticket casually, when I stumbled upon a line written that any "changes made to the passenger personal details" will be subject to a fixed fee of 350k IDR (2k in INR). I sighed a relief that I was saved since I booked from their app. After this ordeal, I've been very careful of the passenger details while booking, be it flight or hotel.

Cheers
-NA.
na_agrawal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 21:24   #8
BHPian

Hello Everyone, thank you for all of your suggestions. I believe it depends on the person with whom you are interacting, and their willingness to assist you. I tweeted Go Air and received a call from a Go Air representative after two days. He was very polite and I explained the problem to him. He said he would try to help, and after one hour, I received an email about the changes made.

All airlines should understand these basic problems and be willing to assist their customers when the issue is clearly understandable. Customer service is something in which we are lacking here in India.

In conclusion, it is easier to earn money than to earn faith and trust.
rpmmachine is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed