Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2007, 18:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Multi Storey Car Park ???

I have always wondered why there are little or absolutely no multi storey car parks in our cities.

Last i remember there was one on J.C. road (Blore) but had only 2 or 3 levels. There was also something in the newspapers years ago that a high rise parking facility was underway and would be completely automatic. The driver would leave the car in a lift or conveyor belt or something and it would be scurried off to an empty space. Wonder how this can be achieved.

What we need is a high rise to park our cars safely so that our everyday parking woes finally end. All i see is more and more malls coming up. *Grrrr*

I would not mind paying 10 bucks per hour (or even 20) for safe, covered parking, rather than waste precious fuel circling the block for an empty space. I am sure many of us would also agree with me as the cost is justified.

Plus the roads are easier to drive on. Especially on MG road and Brigade Rd, people park on the road parallel to an already parked car, waiting for the legally parked car to clear the space. To top it all the cops arent able to control the situation too. The police tow truck stops alongside these 2 rows and blocks whatever little space is available for the traffic that is already squeezing thorugh.

Why isnt the govt. or heck, even a private organisation doing anything about this? We arent asking for a free parking spot anyway.

Pour in your opinions folks.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2007, 18:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

a while ago i thought that Chennai could really use something like this especially in Mount Road and T Nagar areas. A multi story car park and maybe some mini buses to drop and pick up people to short distances nearby but wheres the space to implement something like this
Old 16th July 2007, 19:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
but wheres the space to implement something like this
There are a whole lot of illegal constructions and encroachments. Clearing them can create space for a high rise parking facility. Its high time this is done. The govt has such a blind eye, its not far that cars will be used only for long drives. Its nerve racking especially on weekends.

Postponement of projects or ideas due to pessimistic thinking wont solve anything. Planning is something that is seriously lacking in our govt machinery.
Old 16th July 2007, 19:17   #4
k36
BHPian

There are a few of these under construction in Pune. Recently one was inaugurated : Source The Hindu Business Line : Multilevel car park launched in Pune

The tower being mentioned in the second paragraph of this article, at Sambhaji park, is almost complete, and apparently, would be the first in India of its kind.

With the rapidly increasing cars in cities, this is the only way to go.
Old 16th July 2007, 19:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I have always wondered why there are little or absolutely no multi storey car parks in our cities.

Plus the roads are easier to drive on. Especially on MG road and Brigade Rd, people park on the road parallel to an already parked car, waiting for the legally parked car to clear the space.

Pour in your opinions folks.
I think Shivajinagar bus stand has a multilevel parking. Its not used completely.
Double Road has a multilevel parking near the Bus Depot.
KG Road has a multilevel parking.
Mysore Rd has a multilevel parking near the new bus stand.

We need more for sure though.
Old 16th July 2007, 19:33   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm all for multistoried car parks. In fact I've always wondered the obvious - why hasnt the govt initiated directly/via private involvement, the accelerated commissioning of MS car parks. It seems to be the only solution in space-challenged areas with high population density. And the operations would be profitable too - 50 bucks * X for 200 cars over 4-5 floors per day with no recurring operating costs.

I'd be more than happy paying even 50 bucks for the peace of mind that my car is in an enclosed place off the public roads. The roads get a breather too in the form of more space for regular traffic movement.
Old 16th July 2007, 19:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

I love the Spencers plaza in Chennai because it has a parallel multi-level building alongside and connected to the main shopping mall. They never run out of parking space..
Old 17th July 2007, 11:47   #8
BHPian

If I remember correctly, Garuda mall in blr was supposed to be one such. Sadly, the parking available isn't even enough for the mall customers!
Old 17th July 2007, 19:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

I did read something in the Deccan Herald online edition, about 2 multi-level car parking facilities that were being planned in B'lore. One was supposed to come up somewhere near Residency Rd & Brigade Rd. I don't see how that would happen, with absolutely no space being available.

Whats the big point in coming up with tonnes & tonnes of malls,and not providing enough parking space? At any given time, all the malls seem full,and that's why we see a host of traffic problems since people tend to park in areas where traffic would be affected. Instead, coming up with a handful of high-rise car parks would easen the congestion so much.
Old 17th July 2007, 20:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
There are a whole lot of illegal constructions and encroachments. Clearing them can create space for a high rise parking facility. Its high time this is done. The govt has such a blind eye, its not far that cars will be used only for long drives. Its nerve racking especially on weekends.

Postponement of projects or ideas due to pessimistic thinking wont solve anything. Planning is something that is seriously lacking in our govt machinery.
@n_aditya: (Since you know chennai ), traffic congestion at the T.Nagar Panagal Park junction can be eased out to a large extent only if the sprawling area of the Panagal Park is converted into multi-storeyed parking lots. As such the park is not being used much by the public but more for nefarious activities. The govt has sure turned a blind eye and a deaf ear to repeated requests made by the people and still cling on to their statement that it is a park and should be preserved. Not sure if something has come up in the last one year since I left chennai. When are our guys going to learn ?
Old 17th July 2007, 22:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@n_aditya: (Since you know chennai ), traffic congestion at the T.Nagar Panagal Park junction can be eased out to a large extent only if the sprawling area of the Panagal Park is converted into multi-storeyed parking lots. As such the park is not being used much by the public but more for nefarious activities. The govt has sure turned a blind eye and a deaf ear to repeated requests made by the people and still cling on to their statement that it is a park and should be preserved. Not sure if something has come up in the last one year since I left chennai. When are our guys going to learn ?
wise thinking.. the park aint no great sight either.. am sure it doent make chennai any cooler..
Old 25th October 2007, 01:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Some good news for chennaiites. The Corporation has proposed a multi storey parking lot in Wallace Garden First Street, off Greams Road.

Source: The Hindu

All I can say at this moment is : The proof of the pudding is in the eating !
Old 25th October 2007, 05:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Some good news for chennaiites. The Corporation has proposed a multi storey parking lot in Wallace Garden First Street, off Greams Road.

Source: The Hindu

All I can say at this moment is : The proof of the pudding is in the eating !
someones grand idea to make more money.
Old 25th October 2007, 19:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
someones grand idea to make more money.
I dont think so. IMHO, Its gonna take a long while to break even on the investment.

Imagine the cost of constructing and maintaining such a structure and charging 10 bucks (example) an hour per car will take at least a couple of years for ROI (return on investment). Thats probably why this concept aint too popular although very sensible and a dire necessity.

Most Viewed