Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2007, 08:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
One of the most abusive crude teachers I have ever met.
I Agree.. Everyone has a bad side

Godfather
Old 16th November 2008, 10:19   #17

After a stint in the Bay Area (for Amazon? "probably the earlier version of kindle" ?) he returned to Hyd or some other place. And then in '06 he was back in a consulting position in Connecticut. Lost touch after that.
Don't know if you remember a V Rai from BIT. The three of us emptied a 24pk one evening in Santa Clara way back in '99 . Good old days
cheers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
When we look back and think, most of us can recall a teacher or two who made a major difference during our academic life. Makes you think where they are now. I thought let's take some time to think of them and thank them.

For me it was a lecturer in my engineering college (BIT), Bangalore. I wouldn't say he was a great teacher, but he made a major difference to me by encouraging analytical thinking. In an environment that enforced notes cramming, stifled creativity and expected total conformance to dull & archaic syllabus, he forced us all to think, and gave me a long rope whenever I took uncharted path. While this didn't help me in university exams, it later worked wonders in my career.

His name is Satya Prasad Lanka, the google search places him somewhere in Andhra Pradesh now. I have noticed that he regularly publishes in International Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics. I haven't been able to track him any further than that. Thank you Mr.Lanka wherever you are...
Old 16th November 2008, 15:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

What a nostalgia and memories come flooding back. There were quite a few for me during my academic journey.

My late grandfather, who instilled the love of Sanskrit, English and mythology in me. Very very strict as a teacher and the most loving as a grand-dad.

Late Sri Madhvachar, who taught and polished my Sanskrit in Benares (that is where I come from). It was the solid foundation laid by him that enabled me to pass Mumbai Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan's conducted annual Sanskrit exam of Balabodh, Prarambh, Pravesh upto Kovid with distinction.

Late Mrs. Smith, Headmistress of Smith's Convent Nursery & Public School, Benares and Mrs. or Ms. Dunlop (don't know if she is around). I used to love the way Dunlop ma'am played the grand organ in the school chapel.

Late Pt. Jagannath Babu, my private tutor at home, who also taught me swimming in the Ganges.

Dr. M P Chhaya, former Principal of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan's Mehta Vidyalaya, New Delhi, who instilled discipline, truthfulness and standing up for one's belief.

Mrs. Emani, my biology teacher from the same school, whose way of teaching made me fall in love with biology.

Late Mrs. A Singh, my stately English teacher from the same school, who taught the correct way of the Queen's language.

My mother, a former Professor of Botany, Delhi University, who veered my interest towards plants and its life, enabling me to go upto M.Sc in Botany from DU.

Last but not the least, my Judo Sensei Shri T K Rajan, 2nd Dan from Kodokan, under whose tutelage and guidance I became the National Champion in my weight category in 1980 and also got my 1st Dan.

I love you all...
Old 16th November 2008, 15:39   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silmps3 View Post
After a stint in the Bay Area (for Amazon? "probably the earlier version of kindle" ?) he returned to Hyd or some other place. And then in '06 he was back in a consulting position in Connecticut. Lost touch after that.
Really, Lanka moved out of academics?

Quote:
Don't know if you remember a V Rai from BIT. The three of us emptied a 24pk one evening in Santa Clara way back in '99 . Good old days cheers:
Of course, he was my classmate, I lost touch later. Are you from the same college?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
It was the solid foundation laid by him that enabled me to pass Mumbai Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan's conducted annual Sanskrit exam of Balabodh, Prarambh, Pravesh upto Kovid with distinction.

Last but not the least, my Judo Sensei Shri T K Rajan, 2nd Dan from Kodokan, under whose tutelage and guidance I became the National Champion in my weight category in 1980 and also got my 1st Dan.
Sanskrit Pundit & Judoko, now that's a very rare combo. Great accomplishment I should say.
Old 16th November 2008, 18:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Studied at The Frank Anthony Public School bangalore(FAPS)
The most amazing teacher any student can have the priviledge of being taught by is Mr. Eslyn Hart.I can't really put into words how absolutely brilliant he is.

A close second is bio teacher Dr.Krishna Rao,Despite being hearing impaired the effort and the dedication he took to teaching was superb.
binz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2008, 18:29   #21
BHPian

Studied in a couple of schools but most done in St Johns High School Bangalore. And the teachers that made a Diff was
Mrs Meera Jayrajan and also
Mrs Roberts,
Mrs David.
I aslo studied in SDA High School (Spencer Road) Bangalore. And can't remember anybody except
Mr Raja Fernandez and
Mrs. Daphne Das
johnda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2008, 18:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have 6 months study left to be Graduate.
At the risk of sounding absurd, I will admit that till now I have just two person who can really called a teacher : Upadhay Sir ( his story is a bit painful, and he was a genuine teacher ) and Kanak Thakkar ( tuition teacher ).
Rest I had very bad teachers for the approx 20 years I am studying.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2008, 07:19   #23

Quote:

Of course, he was my classmate, I lost touch later. Are you from the same college?
Yes he did move out (was a temporary move since teaching is his passion)
to the industry.
Yes, same college. Guilty of wasting a lot of time there.
Old 24th November 2008, 19:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

when you take into account that teachers are after all human, with families and responsibilities, and with worldly frustrations of being stuck in teaching (which is unfortunately one of the most neglected jobs in india), you get a totally different insight into the teachers' mind.

for me:
- Roy sir: he taught biology in school, but taught more about life, we were in a residential school, and it was really his great support that made our life easy away from home. I visited my school last year after 13 yrs of pasing out. He is the only one from then still left. he has forgone all th promotions to be in touch with us, and most of us still go back everytie we go back to jabalpur (the school, navodaya vidyalaya is around 40 kms outside in a rural area)
- Jenna sir: our maths teacher, he used to ask students to come stay overnight in his house and study. and I am again talking about a residential school, some 20-30 students used to stay there, and study overnight in last few days of exams. He himself has a great affinity towards studies.
- Singh sir: my first english teacher in that school, who made the foundation of english. as a teacher he was wonderful. He also happened to be my hostel warden and was great as a person.

for some reason, the school teachers always have a greater impact on our minds.

In college too I had some great teachers.
AK Nadir sir, Sharma sir, pachauri sir, solanki sir, KL jain sir. Some of them had side (totally irrelevant) businesses, some of them had personal problems that interfered in attitude sometimes, but all of them came as a good role model and teacher to us. except for one or two whom I am not going to name here
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2008, 19:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Yes he did move out (was a temporary move since teaching is his passion)
to the industry.
Yes, same college. Guilty of wasting a lot of time there.
Quote:

Sanskrit Pundit & Judoko, now that's a very rare combo. Great accomplishment I should say.
Both of you are my super duper seniors from BIT god knows how 4yrs just flew by there.
Old 30th April 2010, 17:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

A C Bhaskara Naidu was an amazing teacher in Machine Design & Strength of materials, in BMS College of Engg, Bangalore. We used to enjoy his classes in the late 80s
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2010, 18:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Whoa!!! TBHP has everything to recall in life & learn everything in life
Though most of the teachers liked me & I liked most of them, I would like to Thank my Computer Science Sir in grade 12.

Reason? As public exams were nearing, we used to have special classes for all the subjects. Being one of the top scorer, I used to skip the classes & my sir also never bothered much about this. Once the class was very important & it so happened that I entered the class late by 15 minutes; he just admitted me & ask to meet him after class.

When I met him, he blasted me to core & gave advice on the importance of time & making up things on time. Ever since then, I can hardly remember any instance when I was not punctual with respect to time.

I live mostly based out of time & keep up my commitment towards it, if I'm what I'm now, I would attribute this to my Computer Science Sir Mr.Chelladurai.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2010, 19:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

A certain Lady named Aleyamma who used to take tutions for Maths in trivandrum.

She single handedly made me hate maths.

And the gem of a Teacher named Alex P.K, who had made me fall in love with it in the first place. I went back to him within a few months, but by then, the damage had already been done :(
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2010, 19:14   #29
BHPian

GS Sundareshan (GSS) and KVG (Ganashyam) for Mathematics and Chemistry respectively. Both from National College Jayangar 7th block, for PUC. They were really responsible for my successful PU performance

And CHR, a Linear Circuit lecturer from RVCE Electronics was a favourite of mine.

Last edited by pramod : 30th April 2010 at 19:19.
pramod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2010, 19:32   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
GS Sundareshan (GSS) and KVG (Ganashyam) for Mathematics and Chemistry respectively. Both from National College Jayangar 7th block, for PUC.
Do you realise there are at least 2 moderators from this college? In my days there (1984-86), there were CSS, GSS and SS in the maths department. I didn't have good experience with them, they were stressing too much on 98%, 99%, 99.5%, etc. I was the NCC under officer in 2nd PUC and they were constantly berating 1st year students for joining NCC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks