Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:54   #31
BHPian

Re: Delhi road rage

This thread reaffirms my reading that I live in one of the more civilized parts of the country. Though we are quickly degenerating.
Old 23rd July 2014, 18:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
This thread reaffirms my reading that I live in one of the more civilized parts of the country. Though we are quickly degenerating.
You may be right. But a true measure of civilization is how it treats outsiders. In that respect, Delhi could very well be near the bottom but other parts of the country are not too far away from it either.
Old 23rd July 2014, 19:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have heard over and over again from my friends and then read the same on this thread about the road rage in Delhi.

Every time I tell them of my plans to ride to the Himalayas, the first thing they say is, 'don't be like how you are when you get bugged riding/driving in Bangalore', because more often I loose my temper or get highly irritated here and raise my hand or say something, and if I do the same in Delhi, I am as good as dead.

Why is it so bad ? The capital should be an example to other cities of the country and in this case it seems to be setting bad examples.

I know for a fact that Bangalore has changed over the years and now fist fights are common and very soon it will be like Delhi.
I guess a lot relates to the persons background/mentality and connections.
Old 23rd July 2014, 20:12   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
I now drive everyday in Delhi (Dwarka to Noida and back) and I do see a lot of road rage. One thing I have noticed is that people like to unnecessarily vent frustation on me? like they constantly honk for nothing and when i let them pass, they give me the looks as if I have committed a crime or something. It really boils my blood when I experience this. What can I do otherwise?
Avoid eye contact.
I never let these honk maniacs bother me. Most often they will cut into some or the other lane and get away. Let them. I know it is a lot more difficult to do, but keep trying. Don't get angry. It's just not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I have heard over and over again from my friends and then read the same on this thread about the road rage in Delhi.

Every time I tell them of my plans to ride to the Himalayas, the first thing they say is, 'don't be like how you are when you get bugged riding/driving in Bangalore', ...
You don't need to come to Delhi for trips to Himalayas. Go via Hanumangarh.
Old 23rd July 2014, 21:11   #35
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Why is it so bad ?
Multiple reasons as per me

1. Power drunk - Too many people know 'somebody'. Lots of netas and their henchmen running around in Scorpios and Fortuners.

2. No cohesive - 'Delhi culture'. All major metros have at-least a dominant culture which keeps things in check and certain social norms are established. So the only issue that becomes a problem is - locals vs migrants.
Here, its a free for all.

3. Aggressive castes dominating demographics. With no offence to anyone, Jaats/Gujjars/Punjabis are generally aggressive cum martial castes. Put all three together in one city and you have two types of people in the city - the Aggressors and the frustrated passive people who are all looking out for an opportunity to vent their frustration on someone else since they don't have the means to challenge the 'fortuner waalah'.

4. Too much money gotten easily. Many rich dilli-waallahs have never had to work too hard or at-least their generation has never had to. Hence you have dumbwits on SBKs and Super Cars and 'Pharchuuners' who have the right connections. It saddens me to see sons and grand sons of people who came over from Pakistan with nothing and built up their wealth, frittering it all away.

6. Certain sections of North Indian culture has placed the woman and some sections of society very low down the social ladder. I know 7 year old kids who use the term 'bihari' derogatorily for the gardener!

7. Gurgaon specific - too many 'govt-approved drinking places.'

I have not listed education as a criteria as I know too many nauseating colleagues in swanky IT offices who are absolute neanderthals when on the road or when they see girls (Apologies to neanderthals)

Too much ranting

I feel good!
Old 24th July 2014, 11:06   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I have not listed education as a criteria as I know too many nauseating colleagues in swanky IT offices who are absolute neanderthals when on the road or when they see girls (Apologies to neanderthals)
I like this particular point you have made. My wife used to travel often to Noida / Delhi on work. She would loathe the very idea of travelling to these places precisely because of the point you have made above.

One more thing I realised in NCR - there is actually no such things as 'driving on the wrong side'. Wherever you drive is the "correct" side - be it on the right side or on the left side. It just doesnt matter. What amazes me even more is the acceptance of this - nobody gives even a second look to a taxi / truck / van barrelling down the wrong side, flashing the lights and honking incessantly. People just move and make way!!! Amazing!!
Old 25th July 2014, 11:10   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely. I guess its more to do with "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". Place these same guys somewhere else and see their mannerisms change overnight. I have seen and experienced this first hand. Maybe it's the exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
One more thing I realised in NCR - there is actually no such things as 'driving on the wrong side'. Wherever you drive is the "correct" side - be it on the right side or on the left side. It just doesnt matter. What amazes me even more is the acceptance of this - nobody gives even a second look to a taxi / truck / van barrelling down the wrong side, flashing the lights and honking incessantly. People just move and make way!!! Amazing!!
Believe me, I have seen this everywhere in the country - every state, every city - at least something unites the whole India!

The mantra to survive in NCR seems to be "mind your own business", that's why you don't see anyone helping a guy being beaten up by goons on road. People will take pics alright but no one will bother calling the cops!
Old 25th July 2014, 17:06   #38
BHPian

Sighting people getting into petty fights is a very common sight in Delhi now. I have seen people where two cars have just touched, without any actual loss, but people will get out of the cars and start fighting.

I agree your patience will get tested, but you continuously have to remind yourself not to get into any argument on the road as it is just not worth it. I can say this because I was a pretty hot blooded soul myself and at the drop of a hat used to get down and get into arguments with people.

Over a period of time I realised that you cannot change them. Best is to change yourself and stay cool. Listen to some good songs. Tie up with a colleague to go to office so that you stay distracted in your own conversations.
Old 25th July 2014, 17:57   #39
BHPian

This is seen ALOT in Delhi, but the problem is actually everywhere. And it's not just limited to Roads, even small businesses often face issues with unruly 'bullying' customers.

Having often discussed this issue, mostly EoD the cause was that many people took 'violence onto others' as a joke or as a trait of power. Moreover, this culture is regularly encouraged indirectly thanks to movies, money, liquor & lust.

IMHO if we don't somehow figure out sociological solutions ASAP, it's going to get worse and the good, honest & decent guys will pay the price.

For time being, seriously consider a car dashboard camera.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 25th July 2014 at 17:58.
Old 25th July 2014, 18:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Multiple reasons as per me

1. Power drunk - Too many people know 'somebody'. Lots of netas and their henchmen running around in Scorpios and Fortuners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Having often discussed this issue, mostly EoD the cause was that many people took 'violence onto others' as a joke or as a trait of power. Moreover, this culture is regularly encouraged indirectly thanks to movies, money, liquor & lust.

IMHO if we don't somehow figure out sociological solutions ASAP, it's going to get worse and the good, honest & decent guys will pay the price.

For time being, seriously consider a car dashboard camera.
What you have written is SPOT ON!
It is considered a sign on manliness and power when someone abuses other and this manhood is further enhanced when there is violence involved. Media may have a role in increasing it - but in general it appears to be more of a cultural trait.
I have seen many ppl from Delhi feeling proud about this and they specifically look down on the rest of India because of the lack of these "aggressive macho qualities".

Before anyone comes here to defend Delhi and the surrounding areas. I am from Delhi.

Last edited by alpha1 : 25th July 2014 at 18:43.
Old 18th March 2016, 07:09   #41
BHPian

What has this world come to?

A case of violence related to road rage left a 55-year-old man dead and his seven family members injured in Outer Delhi’s Mangolpuri on Sunday night.

Four of the assailants have been arrested. A hunt is on for the rest, the police said. The deceased has been identified as Jhansaram, a contractor of house painters.

As he entered a lane in his neighbourhood, some men blocked the way. Jhansaram started honking, which led to an argument. Before dispersing, the group threatened to teach Jhansaram a lesson. “An hour later, around seven to eight persons arrived at Jhansaram’s home and attacked him and his family with swords and sticks,” said Om Prakash, a relative of the deceased.

Source: The Hindu, March 17,2016.
http://m.thehindu.com/news/cities/De...cle8362592.ece
Old 18th March 2016, 17:38   #42
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

India is mad. Especially urban India.
Mindless pursuit of lucre.

Anyway here is something pertinent.
From the Ladybird Book Man and His Car - circa 1974.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi road rage-screenshot-20160318-17.33.14.png  

Old 30th August 2019, 10:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Woman toll collector slapped at Gurgaon’s Kherki Daula, she hits back.

Quote:
A woman toll collector at Gurgaon’s Kherki Daula toll plaza Thursday was beaten and manhandled by a commuter. The toll collector had rejected the commuter’s identification card when he was trying to pass through the toll without paying any tax. She had insisted that the driver pay the requisite amount.

However, the driver got down from the car and slapped her. In retaliation, the collector also hit him. Other people present in the toll booth tried to intervene and stop the attack. At the end of the video, the collector can be seen moving out from the booth.
News Source.
Old 30th August 2019, 10:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Mik, your post made it easy for me to sum up multiple reasons in Bangalore

1. Power drunk - Too many people know 'somebody'. Lots of money from villages and their connections in real estate.

2. Aggressive castes dominating demographics. With no offence to anyone, Jaats/Gujjars are generally aggressive cum martial castes. When they get into fight with aggressive castes of South India, it is a violent thriller.

3. Too much money gotten easily.

4. Certain sections of North Indian culture has placed the non-hindi speakers as very low down the social ladder. I know 7 year old kids who use the term "South Indian" derogatorily for their friends!

5. Bangalore specific - too many 'govt-approved drinking localities', import of drugs from a backward continent.

I too did not list education as a criteria as I know too many nauseating colleagues in swanky IT offices who are absolute neanderthals when on the road or when they see girls (Apologies to neanderthals)

Too much ranting

I too feel good!

Last edited by deehunk : 30th August 2019 at 10:49.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks