Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2007, 22:53   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I am sure MNC's will not even think of such move, though our desi cos. are capable to do all this stunts.
Actually, its interesting to note that work pressures and elongated work hours are more common in foreign MNCs than in Indian MNCs - according to some people who've worked in both.

To highlight, I've a friend in TCS at a senior role - who comes home at 7 pm sharp every day; while another who's in a similar senior role at Accenture has forgotten how to sleep or where his house is
Old 20th July 2007, 00:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Actually, its interesting to note that work pressures and elongated work hours are more common in foreign MNCs than in Indian MNCs - according to some people who've worked in both.

To highlight, I've a friend in TCS at a senior role - who comes home at 7 pm sharp every day; while another who's in a similar senior role at Accenture has forgotten how to sleep or where his house is
at the risk of going off topic, I believe it's individual's inclination towards his/her work.

when in India, MNC or desi Cos doesn't matter. we are so ambitious, that we do not think twice before canceling our personal commitments for work. I used to have fights with my fellow mates. you can not imagine the things people would do to get visibility with mgmt.
Old 20th July 2007, 00:16   #18
BHPian

Not all MNCs ask employees to work hard. While many work they party harder. Concept of work life balance is not there in all companies. And it sucks to work in companies which damage your personal lives.

While Narayana Murthy's ala Infosys' views on staying late in the office is to be seen whether it still holds true :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post291308
Old 20th July 2007, 00:27   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
They will tell the client that the benefit of billing an extra day is that they will deliver the project faster.. i.e a project which would take 10 months earlier may be delivered in .. say 8 months.. so the cost to the client is the same.. Its the employees who are the losers. They get dumped in the next project.
Believe me it does not cut that way. I know a thing or two of this. We have been trying this for the past 1.5 years or more with our clients. Uhuh... it still has not happened with most of them.

And in T&M projects there is nothing like quick delivery and all. Client keeps loading you with work requests/tickets etc (depending on the nature of the engagement) when so required and the team is expected to deliver, period. Billing only comes for the fixed 8 hours everyday although the teams may work 6 or even 7 days a week for a month at a stretch. These are the days when people stay put till 11 at nights as well. But the billing still comes for the contracted 40 hours per week in most cases.

Similarly during the lean seasons people may not have enough work to cover the whole of 168 hours in a month and yet the billing comes for all the hours. At this time teams get whole world's time to do all the balancing of family life and stuff and to kind of even out the dog's life they lead during the hectic days. T&M has both its pluses and minuses.
Old 20th July 2007, 09:48   #20
BHPian

Infosy's or Narayana Murthy's views on staying late in office is a good read that's it. Never put in practise. The over commitments given by the sales folks will invariably call for extra hours. And then you have client calls , onsite calls at odd hours. If you have facility to work from home, you could take the call at home. Otherwise it's some more hours at office.

Rgds
Deepu
Old 20th July 2007, 09:51   #21
Team-BHP Support

Trust me good foriegn MNC's will ask their employees to go home on time its work culture and cannot be completely attributed to phoren or indian. Again this is the era of mobile and tele commute, it really doesnt matter if you are in office or not late at night.
Old 20th July 2007, 12:00   #22
BHPian

It does matter. One of the worst things I have seen happening is taking work home . According to me it's equal to being at office and also unproductive. With all these long working hours, it's really the weekends that keeps most of the familie's going. If you ask me I dont mind putting an extra hour or 2 on weekdays, but I need my Sat and Sun. But this is my opinion.

We can have a poll among the IT crowd in the forum to find the no:of hours one spends in office. I definitly feel that it should be in the range of 10-12 hours.

Regards
Deepu
Old 20th July 2007, 15:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepug View Post
If you ask me I dont mind putting an extra hour or 2 on weekdays, but I need my Sat and Sun. But this is my opinion.
Regards
Deepu
Correctly Said. For indian IT majority of clients are from US which means 6.30 PM is the first bracket during which you can have meeting with clients / teams. (NY time)

Most of the IT people spend at least 2/3 day's in a week for such meetings + late night stay to complete the pending stuff.

In such case free Sat and Sun is a must.

If your client is from Japan , then you may have to be office very early in the morning ( 6.30 am also )

But if your client is from UK then it's best deal , you can start , finish all the meeting before 5.30 pm and start for home.

Also roads are comparatively empty at 5.30 which gets packed between 6 - 9 PM.
Old 20th July 2007, 16:26   #24
BHPian

The main idea is that no company wants to show less revenue (and profit) in their balance sheet. Now as Rupee appreciates, their net revenue (which is measured in Rs ) is naturally going down.

The companies don't want that. Unlike manufacturing, they can't "produce" more "products" - because most Indian IT companies offer service rather than products.

Their "raw material" is their employees. The machines are "employees". If a cab drivers wants to earn money, he'd run his cab for more miles. However, if drives a Rolls Royce, he can get some high end customers who will pay extra for the privilege. But again, buying a RR is no easy task.
Since majority of desi IT cos run "Hindustan Ambassadors" rather than Rolls, they'd ask their employees to spend more hours on projects - so that they can "milk" them even more!

Quite a few product based IT MNCs in India has strict office hours of 8 hours max. They don't have any problem with that.

Quote:
That entirely depends on projects. When I was in TCS, I faced both extremes, like
[1] Worked for 12 hours everyday for several weeks (with no overtime pay)
[2] Not even been to office [LTA], yet client was billed for me
Old 20th July 2007, 16:37   #25
BHPian

sbasak

I agree to this. But what I want to highlight is that already most of the engineers are spending more than 8 hours in office. I think it's mostly to the tune of 10-12 hours. If you take 10hrs as minimum then we spend around 50 hrs in office per week ( 5 day week). This is still more than 48 hrs which is for a 6 day week @ 8hrs a day. And even now also based on requirements we do work on Saturdays and Sundays too , that too without any additional benefits. So we need our official Sat/Sun off.

Regards
Deepu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks