Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2007, 17:38   #1
BHPian

foriegners car guide to pune....

hey i've just moved to pune and on first impressions pune is an awesome city without no doubt...

so speaking from a gearheads terms what are the important car events and places of interests in pune??

anyting fellow puneites would like to share??ok i want you to...

and are the roads sooo narrow everywhere?? i live in the koregaon park road area??and whats up with no street lights??? any scope of improvement??

and lastly whats with the rickshaw meter calculating?? coz i do travel a lot in pune viz rickshaw and i do tend to have a feeling that they are foooling me...

hope to hear from you people....

cheers,
TD
Old 21st July 2007, 10:16   #2
BHPian

Welcome to pune and t-bhp

car events : there are t-bhp in pune, keep an eye on the topic here. plus ofcourse the vintage rally and the speedrun in mumbai!

around pune: head to the famous hillstations of Lonavala (on the mumbai highway, 75kms away) and Mahabaleshwar (off the Bangalore highway). You may also drive to the nearby singhard fort, around an hrs drive from KGP (koregaon park)
Not all roads are as narrow as some of the roads in KGP.. scope of improvement for street lights - -

as for the rickshaw meter calculating, i think its roughly around 6bucks per unit shown in the meter.
Old 21st July 2007, 10:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

One advice : Dont even bother going to Sinhagad fort on a weekend.. Chances are that u'll end up in a traffic snarl and never be able to reach the top.. The last time I went, the place smelt of burnt clutches/brakes.
Old 21st July 2007, 11:16   #4
BHPian

Welcome to Pune !!!

Hey Tidzer, first of all, Welcome to Pune - once a city of cyclists,now a motorcycle !!

@ car events - There are few Vintage rallies that take place in Pune all over the year. For more info, better get in touch with Karlosdeville ( Karl ) - he's the man.

@places of interest - There are few famous car collectors in Pune. But its a very rare occasion that you get to see their collection, one exception being Mr. Thakkar - his collection is open for visiting i guess.
( here's the thread about same collection : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...um-pune-3.html )

Also, there's this miniature railway museum in Kothrud, ( Joshi's Museum of Model Railways ) if you are interested in miniature stuff.

@short trips arnd pune - i guess BunnyPunia summed it up all pretty well, although there are some more places like Mulshi/ Panshet dam , Lavasa city where you can drive to... long, enjoyable drives i say.

@narrow roads - man you should come visit the central city area ( peths - where i live ), even if the road is 50 feet wide, the drivable part is just 20 feet with both side parking, stray cattle, streetside vendors etc.. Add the mad cyclists and motorcyclists along with the famous rickshaws. You gotta be real bada$$ driver to get through ...

@street lights - LOLs - no comments

@Rickshaw meters - You better get the 'Fare Card' - this has the equivalent amounts of fare printed in tabular form as per the meter reading, so you dont end up getting duped by the the rikshaw-walas ( a bit of caution - these guys are suckers - if you are a foreigner, they'll sure try to get more money - sometimes almost 5-6 times the actual fare ).
you should get the fare-card at RTO office or sometimes even at traffic signals.
(I'll see if i have a latest copy with me - will scan it and mail it you )

Another word of caution - Never share a rickshaw with any strangers - its common practice here to share-a-rickshaw - but AVOID !!

PS: @ Narrow roads - its not such a bad situation nowadays, with PMC taking up road widening pretty seriously. But overall indisciplined drivers of all kinds of vehicles make it bloody hard to drive around easily.

Hope this much is enough for now. [:-D]

Enjoy your stay !!!

Last edited by hkanitkar : 21st July 2007 at 11:18.
Old 21st July 2007, 18:47   #5
BHPian

hey thanks for all the inputs really appreciate it!!...

and no i'm not a firangi... i'm just a foriener to pune in litteral terms lol....

and hey if i'm not mistaken i've seen some events in pune on bhp where i saw a lamborghini gallardo and other supercars including a phantom....
is it that same vintage car rally in which these came along???

and where can i get my hands on a rickshaw card couldn't find it anywhere!!

cheers,
TD
Old 22nd July 2007, 11:53   #6
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to Pune Tidzter!

Quote:
so speaking from a gearheads terms what are the important car events and places of interests in pune??
Important car events happen very often with team-bhpians at Grand Hotel in Camp. PM me your number and I will send you an invite when we get together next. There are quite a few rallies that happen around and we have an event coming very soon on the 15th of August. Not many places of interest around. Not drivable at least. Try going to Mahabaleshwar if you haven't already.

Quote:
and are the roads sooo narrow everywhere?? i live in the koregaon park road area??and whats up with no street lights??? any scope of improvement??
No scope of improvements. Street lights? What is that? Roads are narrow everywhere.

Quote:
and lastly whats with the rickshaw meter calculating?? coz i do travel a lot in pune viz rickshaw and i do tend to have a feeling that they are foooling me...
Very simple to do. Meter reading multiplied by six plus two. That is if your meter reads 1.20 you pay 1.50x6 = 9 + 2 = Rs. 11/- but there are always high possibilities that you will get duped even if you have this formula handy. They are ++++++ of the first order and have unions to take care of you if you refuse to pay extra.
Old 22nd July 2007, 21:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well the Pune riks are a lot better than the ones we have in Delhi. They are better maintained, the drivers usually follow the fare card . The delhi ones give the likes of Natwarlal and Gabbar Singh an inferiority complex.

But for enjoying Pune you must have a good bike that can slice thru the traffic and take you to Mahabaleshwar, Lonavala,Alibagh and Singgarh and Goa over a weekend/extended weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks