Obviously Karnataka...especially Coorg..wt else
Old 24th July 2007, 17:10   #32
BHPian

Coimbatore gets the vote from me .....
Old 24th July 2007, 17:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
A few years ago.. people used to say the same stuff about Bangalore.. Look how Bangalore has turned out now !! I have no doubt Mysore will follow suit.. its just a matter of time.

I really dont want it happen even in my wildest dreams.
Old 24th July 2007, 17:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I really dont want it happen even in my wildest dreams.
Thats why my best place to settle will remain closely guarded secret.. Dont want Tom, Dick and Harry to turn up and take over the yard
Old 24th July 2007, 17:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

My village - if you call it so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Come on spill it out
It's where my parents and brothers live in Kerala (where I was born and brought up till I was about 12 years old) - a small place, surrounded by hills and pollution free air.

I took that picture about 5 years back from the road that is on the side of the hills, leading to the school and church. The place is called "Karamattom" and is on the way to Athirappilly waterfalls via Mookannoor (while coming from Kochi side). There is a bridge being constructed over the river, which is now in the final stages of construction. There was a ferry crossing that we always used to cross the river.

I think we have several such small and beautiful places in India - especially along the western coast and may be the north-east, HP etc.
Old 24th July 2007, 18:10   #36
BHPian

South India - I would choose Trivandrum in Kerala. I stayed here for a while and simply loved the place. Lots of getaway places, good food, good medical infrastructure.
The only minus is that there are no good places for having a drink. The places are either too shady or bars of fivestars near kovalam. Am not sure if the picture is same now.

Somewhere upwards of Vindhyas -
I stayed in Jamshedpur for a year. I simply loved that place. A perfect place for retired life. The winters there are simply awesome. For adventure lovers TASF is based out of there.
Old 24th July 2007, 18:49   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Speaking as a foreigner who has (hopefully for the foreseeable future; my Indian wife has no desire to emigrate) chosen India...

I'm in Chennai. Chennai is an easy-going sort of city, or has been up to now, and much of it is very beautiful. It is full of culture to those of us who like the classical, though perhaps a little bit behind for the youngsters.

The climate, for many, goes against it, and seems to be (along with much of the world) becoming less predictable and more extreme.

Its headlong rush into modernisation, however, unplanned and unthought, looks set to ruin it. There is no reason why Chennai should not be recognised as a modern city and an economic force --- with a bit of proper planning.

I never had the intention, however, of spending the rest of my life here, and I still have a long-term aim to live in Kerala, maybe near Trivandrum, but in a backwater area. My wife is worried about living near sea level in this day and age.

But... to me, social life is saying hi to my neighbours, and a good night out is a carnatic music concert.
Old 24th July 2007, 18:53   #38
Senior - BHPian

West coast states except Gujarat. My wife is from Maharashtra and I am a South Indian - half a mallu with a long stint in B'lore. I am too used to this side of the country. But I really don't know what will happen.
Old 24th July 2007, 20:03   #39
Team-BHP Support

I am already there. So...

Many of you from big cities who are thinking about small towns for retirement need to keep one thing in mind. It is tough for outsiders to settle in smaller places, especially if you can't speak the native language and are relatively affluent. Everybody will mind your business and you won't have any privacy.

Unless you have strong local connections, it can be real tough. Also, it will be very hard to make new friends unlike in a city. Don't go by the movie perception of seeda-saada gaonwallas. In my opinion, an average village dweller is more politically aware and shrewd than an average city dweller.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2007, 20:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Also keep in mind lack of good education facilities in small towns & more importantly, lack of good medical facilities in case of emergencies. It can make a hell of a lot of difference.
Old 24th July 2007, 20:34   #41
BANNED

I have spent all my life except 2 years in Kochi, but my vote is for Trichur. There is the Cochin Airport about 50 KM away, all trains passing through Kerala stop here, good hospitals, not bad roads, good climate (best in whole of Kerala - not that any place in Kerala has bad climate). Beaches about 20 KM drive. Kochi /Ernakulam is 80 - 88 KMs, with NH 4 laning on track, will be just 45 Mins away.

BTW, Trichur is a district headquarters. So most of amenities for a civil society are just an arms length away.

Only negative - not much urbanised; few eateries, fewer watering holes, and most of you who eat out more than once a week will be disappointed.

Thad, want to try Trichur? Just 8 Hours by road from Chennai, and 7 from Bangalore. ;-0
Old 24th July 2007, 21:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Chandigarh.
1. Reasonably safe from Natural clamities
2. Cheap to live with active suburbs
3. Accesible to hills(himachal is next door)
4. Delhi is just 4 hours away(International airport)
5. Good education(One of the best schools, and also great engineering/Medical and MBA college). Also has one of the biggest univs of north India, Punjab University
6. No traffic hassals
7. Great tourist places inside city(Lake, Rock garden, Rose garden...)

Now only if some big MNCs opened up here, I would move at first opportunity!

Totally with tanveer on that.. Chandigarh would be the most ideal place for me too.. modern yet laid back.
Old 24th July 2007, 22:10   #43
BHPian

Just feel like packing my bags and going off to somewhere in Lahaul & Spiti Valleys in HImachal. Untouched, pure beauty.
Old 25th July 2007, 09:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Don't go by the movie perception of seeda-saada gaonwallas. In my opinion, an average village dweller is more politically aware and shrewd than an average city dweller.
Very true, specially people from South Kanara....in the belt between Mangalore and Kundapur. You can literally see the rapid pace of development there.
Old 25th July 2007, 10:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Anyone, who has lived some years of their life in a small village, that is somewhat close to a city and then moved on to live in a big city will miss the life at the village, be it in Kerala or Coastal Karnataka (or any other state in India). These places are generally very scenic too. There are numerous such places in India. But as Samurai has said, going back to settle down at a place, where you already know the people, would be really great.

And I think for people who have been born and brought up in big cities, migrating to such places, may not be so easy. They look great for a few days of vacation - but staying permanently at such places can be a challenge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks